Jason Kries to Orlando

Kinda surprising that he would go from one position where he was at odds with management to another where management seems like a dumpster fire. I could see him being at odds with them as well.
I think he'd come in with leverage here. Doesn't really need the job and has other options. He can put his foot down and make demands as far as handling personnel is concerned.

Honestly their supporters are happy about it from what I've seen on Twitter. He's well regarded in the US soccer world. Had a shit season with us but looking back at it I think anyone would have.

I know I'm opening the can of worms all over again but I have to comment. His high reputation in the US soccer community is perplexing as I don't think we have any track record to go on. He was very successful at RSL under extremely unique circumstances. He already had the respect of the team and the organization the day he stepped in to the job based on his relationships with everyone as a player. He then came to NYCFC, things didn't go so well, and he wasn't allotted the time to try and right the ship. So we have success in an extremely unique unrepeatable situation and poor performance in a unique first year team bad situation. How can either of those be used to build a reputation? To me his ability to succeed in a normal coaching situation is almost entirely unknown at this point. Him getting the Orlando job seems reasonable. Him getting USMNT buzz seems completely absurd.

Last edited:
Successful when he could pick the players.
Unsuccessful at NYCFC where he couldn't pick his players.
Now potentially moves to a team where he still won't be able to pick his players.

I see him crashing out after the middle of next season and never coaches again.

He never picked the players at RSL. Lagerwey or however you spell it did. Not to mention the players there respected him already. Cant wait to see this schmuck crash and burn again. Let his undeserved reputation die.
It's not like he had a succesful year and moved on though, you don't hold onto that respect for six years automatically. He was with them for I think 6 generally successful years without any of the major signings. I also doubt Lagerway was solely responsible for player decisions, and if he was well Sigi Schmidt can't seem to do as well under his players as Jason Kreis did. Bottomline, Kreis had a successful run at RSL and it seemed like a great hire for us at the time. Obviously, it did not pan out that way for us or for him. To say that his reputation is undeserved is just not accurate. He won an MLS Cup and appeared in another, making him the only manager other than Bruce Arena to do the same during his tenure, and he did it without world class big-name DP's.

I get that he is unpopular on here for what turned out to be an unsuccessful season here, but move on.

I almost hesitate to ask this just because Kreis is such an inflammatory topic, but how much has this year's experience with Poku and Mix softened people's views towards him? While there were plenty of things that were frustrating about him, including a fairly dreadful public interface, I personally have trouble not re-evaluating my criticisms of him in light of how PV has used (or not used) those two as well.

On one hand, the talent level on the team last year was much lower and Mix and Poku were clearly among the more talented guys. On the other hand, what we are hearing this year bears an eerie resemblance and I don't think it is fair to completely ignore it in our ultimate evaluation for Kreis.

None of this is to say that I'm not happier with PV. Just that the lens through which I evaluate Kreis has evolved some.

Last edited:
I almost hesitate to ask this just because Kreis is such an inflammatory topic, but how much has this year's experience with Poku and Mix softened people's views towards him? While there were plenty of things that were frustrating about him, including a fairly dreadful public interface, I personally have trouble not re-evaluating my criticisms of him in light of how PV has used (or not used) those two as well.

On one hand, the talent level on the team last year was much lower and Mix and Poku were clearly among the more talented guys. On the other hand, what we are hearing this year bears an eerie resemblance and I don't think it is fair to completely ignore it in our ultimate evaluation for Kreis.

None of this is to say that I'm not happier with PV. Just that the lens through which I evaluate Kreis has evolved some.
The use/non-use of Poku & Mix this year have not affected or changed my opinion of Kreis. PV's formation doesn't lend itself to Poku and until we know more it's difficult to comment on the Mix situation; in Kreis' 442 and 451, both were very usable/playable and still there were problems. However, beyond those two, Kreis was still insistent on not only playing weak players but playing them out of position and matched up poorly against the opposition. Wingert at CB, or Calle at off wing/def wingback, or Facey on the outside to start the year, or Grabavoy anywhere were just mind-boggling decisions. Jacobson was a head scratcher. Any time Alvarez got on the field too.

He was like the kid that couldn't figure out why the square peg doesn't go in the round hole so he took a hammer out and start whacking it. He did it enough and made too many comments about the peg not conforming that the locker room imploded on him. Disregarding his player favorites and rating him only on his managerial skills, he was tactically naive and repugnant as an inspirational beacon. Without either of those, he's a rudderless ship bobbing during a tsunami.

Reactions: Gavin23
The use/non-use of Poku & Mix this year have not affected or changed my opinion of Kreis. PV's formation doesn't lend itself to Poku and until we know more it's difficult to comment on the Mix situation; in Kreis' 442 and 451, both were very usable/playable and still there were problems. However, beyond those two, Kreis was still insistent on not only playing weak players but playing them out of position and matched up poorly against the opposition. Wingert at CB, or Calle at off wing/def wingback, or Facey on the outside to start the year, or Grabavoy anywhere were just mind-boggling decisions. Jacobson was a head scratcher. Any time Alvarez got on the field too.

He was like the kid that couldn't figure out why the square peg doesn't go in the round hole so he took a hammer out and start whacking it. He did it enough and made too many comments about the peg not conforming that the locker room imploded on him. Disregarding his player favorites and rating him only on his managerial skills, he was tactically naive and repugnant as an inspirational beacon. Without either of those, he's a rudderless ship bobbing during a tsunami.

This. Not to mention the fact that we are winning and top of the league. Plus the Poku sale made sense. He was getting nothing to play here. He has a family to support. We needed the money and so did Poku so the sale made sense. As for Mix, similar situation but like Ulrich said we dont know all the details.

I think there is an element to this, but the overall assessment stands. AJ over Mix bears an unfortunate resemblance to Mikey over Mix. Poku unfit seems to be a theme. Though I think the unfit issue is really that he's just not a midfielder.

But none of that changes the overarching assessment that Kreis is one of the most negative "leaders" I've ever seen.

Maybe you get a pass with that style when you are a legend of the club. But when you have to earn respect, I don't think it happens with his sourpuss.

I think it goes both ways, I agree the Mix/Poku situation this year softens some of the criticisms I had of his player selections as well. On the other hand I think with PV we are seeing what happens when a team is run by a positive leader who even in difficult stretches builds his players up, finds the good points to talk about after looses and always has his players backs. The contrast between way the team responded to a bad string of early results this year as compared to last only hardens the criticisms that Jason wasn't the most inspiring of leaders to say the least.

I think it goes both ways, I agree the Mix/Poku situation this year softens some of the criticisms I had of his player selections as well. On the other hand I think with PV we are seeing what happens when a team is run by a positive leader who even in difficult stretches builds his players up, finds the good points to talk about after looses and always has his players backs. The contrast between way the team responded to a bad string of early results this year as compared to last only hardens the criticisms that Jason wasn't the most inspiring of leaders to say the least.
Totally agree with this. I definitely don't give Kreis a pass at all just because Mix and Poku had issues this year as well. Personally, it softens one of the main criticisms of him, but there are plenty others (including various other player selection issues and people have pointed out) and I'm very happy where we are to say the least.