Josh Saunders Signs Multi- Year Extension

Sure. But who do you want and at what expense? Is Dan Kennedy 130k better than Josh Saunders? Maybe. Maybe not. But this was an easy decision in my eyes. It allows us to spend more on other areas of need.

My hope, long term, is that we become a key developer of goalkeepers in the US.
I'd settle for just having a better than mediocre one.

Lurch and Saunders must be some charming sons of bitches. Neither are worth a damn and there are probably 100 better keepers in the US pool alone, yet both remain gainfully employed by the same single club of the 20 top division teams in this country.

And they do this without the benefit of a tunnel cam pumping out all of their inane footy platitudes, so we don't even have the Crazy Joe Hart card to play.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I don't think anyone here is wrong. However, I believe one important piece of information is missing.

Eirik is a young & developing goalie who may be our future at the position. He has potential, but is he ready to start every regular season game in the next couple years? With Saunders secured, the pressure is off Eirik to be thrusted into the starting lineup and immediately perform. He can develop in training at his own pace. Perhaps he's the reason why our goalkeeper coach is the only coach left from last years staff as the leadership didn't want an interruption in Eirik's training program? Who knows.

Saunders is a decent goalie who will keep us in games. I'm also fairly confident he's the man for the job (at least for now) while our defensive line is acting like a carousel.

In a season or two when our defensive line is set, Eirik should be ready to step in when Saunders time is up. Now we have a solid back four with a young GK with a potentially high ceiling. Now doesn't that sound good?

I don't think anyone here is wrong. However, I believe one important piece of information is missing.

Eirik is a young & developing goalie who may be our future at the position. He has potential, but is he ready to start every regular season game in the next couple years? With Saunders secured, the pressure is off Eirik to be thrusted into the starting lineup and immediately perform. He can develop in training at his own pace. Perhaps he's the reason why our goalkeeper coach is the only coach left from last years staff as the leadership didn't want an interruption in Eirik's training program? Who knows.

Saunders is a decent goalie who will keep us in games. I'm also fairly confident he's the man for the job (at least for now) while our defensive line is acting like a carousel.

In a season or two when our defensive line is set, Eirik should be ready to step in when Saunders time is up. Now we have a solid back four with a young GK with a potentially high ceiling. Now doesn't that sound good?
This. Plus hopefully we go more than one game in the Open Cup to give Eirik some extra game time. Plus, improve our CBs and Saunders is a better fit. Quality stopping is still there. Impact of poor distribution and ability to come off his line is reduced.

I don't see Lurch turning into an MLS level starter unless he develops psychic predictive powers. I think the odds are greater for that to occur than for someone his age to change from "moves like I do getting off the sofa" to "cat-like in front of goal".

I'm OK with Saunders for now. He led the league in saves and kept us in quite a few games. Some of his saves were great. With a better back line maybe are 20% of the shots never made. Above all he has winning experience.

Reactions: Kjbert
don't see anything wrong with this. Saunders was quality last year and deserved an extension theres always gonna be a player better then him but that would mean a higher salary, clearly there are much bigger issues in the team like the defence and we need to keep some stability.

He frequently miss hit goal kicks. Like couldn't hit it cleanly and even get it to midfield. He even said he didn't know what was wrong. Like the ball is sitting still, no pressure, and he can't kick it properly. If you are OK with that, I'm glad you are not in charge of the team.

And it was a soccer ball, not a golf ball.