Official 2016 Nycfc Roster Discussion Thread

I was kidding but also referring to Pirlo, not Lampard, as not needing help since he's so effective when he presses.
Pirlo definitely has a few more years left given his play style. His style avoids injuries and will afford him longitivity a la Buffon. Currently he is our only attacking organizer. Ideally we need the following changes: attacking we need a partner or backup for Villa; midfield we need a Vidal type to pair with Pirlo; back end we need to make Hernandez a back up and get high caliber RB or CB; new goalie. With that, we have >50 Probability of winning MLS cup, assuming no major upgrade at other clubs

Pirlo definitely has a few more years left given his play style. His style avoids injuries and will afford him longitivity a la Buffon. Currently he is our only attacking organizer. Ideally we need the following changes: attacking we need a partner or backup for Villa; midfield we need a Vidal type to pair with Pirlo; back end we need to make Hernandez a back up and get high caliber RB or CB; new goalie. With that, we have >50 Probability of winning MLS cup, assuming no major upgrade at other clubs
Who would some of the Vidal-type options be at midfield to bring in as a DP or even a player bought down?

Who would some of the Vidal-type options be at midfield to bring in as a DP or even a player bought down?

Great question.

That being said, I think the identity of the team will look much different in two seasons. The squad won't be built around Pirlo or to accommodate him. It probably won't be built around Villa either. If we're lucky and he's still here, the squad will be built to accommodate Jack Harrison. I would imagine the club would want to move him into a #10 role where he had more of the ball and more room to operate in.

Great question.

That being said, I think the identity of the team will look much different in two seasons. The squad won't be built around Pirlo or to accommodate him. It probably won't be built around Villa either. If we're lucky and he's still here, the squad will be built to accommodate Jack Harrison. I would imagine the club would want to move him into a #10 role where he had more of the ball and more room to operate in.
Yeah, really looking forward to all those years of Harrison and Mix tearing up the league together. Can't wait!

Yeah, really looking forward to all those years of Harrison and Mix tearing up the league together. Can't wait!
will Harrison turn out to be better and/or more accomplished than Clint Dempsey? Would like to see him become eligible for USMNT one day. Wonder how our DPs think of him and rank him compared against some of their former teammates/starlets in the same stage of their careers

will Harrison turn out to be better and/or more accomplished than Clint Dempsey? Would like to see him become eligible for USMNT one day. Wonder how our DPs think of him and rank him compared against some of their former teammates/starlets in the same stage of their careers

Sounds like he has a long way to go to qualify for USMNT status. Potentially 5 more years from now.

Clint Dempsey is the most accomplished European based USMNT player in history. He played in a UEFA Cup Final I think and scored 17 goals in the Prem. That's a heck of a resume. Right there overall with Landon and Claudio in my eyes.

If Harrison turns out to be Ethan Finlay, we should be thrilled.

Reactions: NYdoesitEZ
If Harrison turns out to be Ethan Finlay, we should be thrilled.
Wait, what?!? Ethen Finlay???

I'd wager that Harrison is already better than Finlay. NYCFC's turnaround coincided with Harrison and Lampard being inserted into the lineup - hard to say if one is more important than the other or they're symbiotic. But the point is Harrison has become the dynamic winger we've been lacking.

I won't say I watch the Crew a lot, but it's striking that Finlay was so dangerous last year and this year not so much. To me, that's tied to defenses focusing on Kei Kamara last year while this year Ole Kamara isn't so feared. Without Kei and defenders pinching in, Finlay doesn't have the open wing to roam.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Wait, what?!? Ethen Finlay???

I'd wager that Harrison is already better than Finlay. NYCFC's turnaround coincided with Harrison and Lampard being inserted into the lineup - hard to say if one is more important than the other or they're symbiotic. But the point is Harrison has become the dynamic winger we've been lacking.

I won't say I watch the Crew a lot, but it's striking that Finlay was so dangerous last year and this year not so much. To me, that's tied to defenses focusing on Kei Kamara last year while this year Ole Kamara isn't so feared. Without Kei and defenders pinching in, Finlay doesn't have the open wing to roam.

Finlay is a fringe USMNT talent and an MLS All-Star. If Harrison can be that for the next ten years, it means he's still here playing for us.

I still think his best position is as a CAM. That's where his ceiling is highest. Jack Harrison playing CAM is a player that ends up back in England.

Finlay is a fringe USMNT talent and an MLS All-Star. If Harrison can be that for the next ten years, it means he's still here playing for us.

I still think his best position is as a CAM. That's where his ceiling is highest. Jack Harrison playing CAM is a player that ends up back in England.
Agree on Harrison at central midfield.

But with regard to Finlay, "Fringe" is the operative word, and that's only because the USMNT brings in so many players to take a look at. I think his days as an MLS Allstar could be numbered if Columbus continues to flounder and they don't adequately replace Kai this offseason, thus limiting his ability on the wing. I hope I'm wrong and he continues to improve because a bigger pool is best, I'm just not sure that he'll beat out the new, young crop of wingers.

Agree on Harrison at central midfield.

But with regard to Finlay, "Fringe" is the operative word, and that's only because the USMNT brings in so many players to take a look at. I think his days as an MLS Allstar could be numbered if Columbus continues to flounder and they don't adequately replace Kai this offseason, thus limiting his ability on the wing. I hope I'm wrong and he continues to improve because a bigger pool is best, I'm just not sure that he'll beat out the new, young crop of wingers.

Fair enough. But if we had 10 years of an MLS All-Star on the wing, I would sign up for that as a baseline today.

Re: Harrison at CAM.

If Lampard retires this winter and we bring in a new forward/winger as a designated player, who would you move to central midfield, McNamara or Harrison?

I can see the argument for Harrison being a great fit in the middle, and maybe the best attacking midfielder on the team, but I also think Tommy leverages his skills more from the middle. I think Harrison is a better natural winger, so I think I would vote to have Tommy slide inside and keep Harrison on the outside.

If Lampard retires this winter and we bring in a new forward/winger as a designated player, who would you move to central midfield, McNamara or Harrison?

I can see the argument for Harrison being a great fit in the middle, and maybe the best attacking midfielder on the team, but I also think Tommy leverages his skills more from the middle. I think Harrison is a better natural winger, so I think I would vote to have Tommy slide inside and keep Harrison on the outside.

Good post. I think Harrison is a better natural winger and a better natural CAM. The key is where do you get the most touches? The CAM, theoretically, would get the most touches and I think Harrison has a better first touch and better one v one skills so I would prefer him there over McNamara.

Good post. I think Harrison is a better natural winger and a better natural CAM. The key is where do you get the most touches? The CAM, theoretically, would get the most touches and I think Harrison has a better first touch and better one v one skills so I would prefer him there over McNamara.

Lampard doesn't actually get that many touches, as Tom in Fairfield CT will regularly tell you.

Also, the wingers will get more 1-on-1 situations than the most advanced midfielder. Tommy Mac has demonstrated a better ability to make the last pass, has an awesome long shot, and can track back. I really think Mac is the better fit to go back to the midfield.

Last edited:
Lampard doesn't actually get that many touches, as Tom in Fairfield CT will regularly tell you.

Also, the wingers will get more 1-on-1 situations than the most advanced midfielder. Tommy Mac has demonstrated a better ability to make the last pass, has an awesome long shot, and can track back. I really think Mac is the better fit to go back to the midfield.

This is what I said on reddit a couple weeks ago:

[T-Mac] is obviously playing well but he's playing their out of position because of our CM glut. He doesn't have the pace and endurance that you ideally need for a 4-3-3 winger to stretch the field on offense and recover back on defense for the full 90. Winger is the most physically demanding position on the field and we have had to sub T-Mac way more than Harrison at the end of games.

T-Macs best traits are his distribution, long shots, and ability to make timely runs. His game reminds me a heck of a lot like Frank Lampard. All those traits better serve him as an attacking central midfielder and not having to run up and down the field as much will keep him on the pitch longer. The other issue is that we have we have not really been playing him as a true winger and that forces us to overuse our fullback on his side to make overlapping runs which has been very successful for us but harmful defensively.

Ideally, T-Mac take Lampards spot next year and we clone a mirror image of Harrison with a strong right foot to play the left wing. I don't want to take away anything from what Frank has done this season, but I think this team could be even better offensively next year if we get a true LW

Ideally, T-Mac take Lampards spot next year and we clone a mirror image of Harrison with a strong right foot to play the left wing. I don't want to take away anything from what Frank has done this season, but I think this team could be even better offensively next year if we get a true LW

Good take.

Give me Honda, Robben, or Ribery and slide McNamara back to Lampard's midfield spot. Or slide Villa over and give me Guiseppe Rossi or Fernando Torres at center forward. All five of those guys have contract expiring next summer, hopefully we can get one six months early.

EDIT: Rossi highlights; plays like a cross between Villa and Giovinco.

Last edited:
Reactions: NYdoesitEZ

I think the answer is that you get the best DP you can. If that's a RW, then Harrison moves Central. If it's a LW, TMac gets the CAM.

This gives you flexibility in how you approach the market.

I think the answer is that you get the best DP you can. If that's a RW, then Harrison moves Central. If it's a LW, TMac gets the CAM.

This gives you flexibility in how you approach the market.

Yeah but if T-Mac at CM and Harrison at wing gives you more than the T-Mac at wing and Harrison at CM, you have to factor that in. The decision can't just be who is the best individual player, but what player makes our team collectively better.

The other consideration is that the two hardest positions to fill the way that we play are LB and RW because they both require left footed guys. Teams pay a premium for left footed or two footed players and right now we have two amazing young left footed talents that are both making below 200k.

Reactions: JCMore
McNamara is the superior defensive player though. And with this squad, that's important right now.

Reactions: sbrylski
We just took 4 domestic Wilmington players with us to Mexico for the friendly - any chance this could be related to our expiring INT slots? If Wikipedia is correct, we have 3 international slots expiring 12/31. I'm assuming these slots just revert back to the teams we got them from on that date? I also assume we could theoretically just buy them back, but we already have the most INT slots in the league at 12, and I'm sure we won't be the only ones shopping for them.

If someone like Mena/Martinez gets selected in the expansion draft, could we then just call up the Wilmington guys to replace them? Are Mena and Martinez worth the INT slot / the extra allocation $ to buy them back?

upload_2016-10-10_8-45-45.png

upload_2016-10-10_8-42-34.png
upload_2016-10-10_8-43-18.png

Reactions: adam and Kjbert