Kansas City - Postmatch

Also, for anybody at the game.. was the announcer volume lower today or is my hearing going? Cause I could barely hear him announce the goals over the cheering and usually that's not an issue.
I was at the game and also had trouble hearing him. I like to think the crowd was noisier but probably the PA volume was lower.

Anyone else notice Taty and Callens getting chippy with each other after the free kick that Callens took near the end of the match? It continued after the final whistle.
I didn’t but MLS has an article mentioning it. I thought the two KC players were going to come to blows.

Mata convincingly won the battle with Russell, one of the most dangerous players in the league. I have to say that he was terrific last night. Hopefully last night was a turning point rather than a one off.

GMS has that flair that gets you out of your seat when he has the ball. He really changed the game when he came in. And even though he should have taken that shot which more than likely would have been his first goal, I did think it was a sign of great character that he tried to feed a teammate for a tap-in.

Sands was again quietly the captain. There wasn’t a moment of the game where I thought that the game was at risk.

I am glad that Heber broke through with the goal because I was thinking that we were back at the point where Mitri unnecessarily neutralizes Heber when they play together (which unfortunately is still the case).

It was a beautiful night and while I haven’t checked the attendance, the crowd felt fuller and more energized than usual.

And Victor Cruz in the house was a nice treat!
Announced crowd was just over 20k. It didn't seem that full to me and 20k seemed about right.

Cruz in the house but when he was on the big screen there were boos. Not sure if it was directed at him or the refs but he was using his phone instead of watching the game. So maybe at him? He didn't look too happy about the boos so at the very least, he probably thought they were for him.

Reactions: JayH
Announced crowd was just over 20k. It didn't seem that full to me and 20k seemed about right.

Cruz in the house but when he was on the big screen there were boos. Not sure if it was directed at him or the refs but he was using his phone instead of watching the game. So maybe at him? He didn't look too happy about the boos so at the very least, he probably thought they were for him.
Could it have been Cruuuuuuuuuuuz?!?

• Besides his great pass to unlock the first goal, Mitrita deserves credit for rushing the goal (nobody else on our team was within 20 yards) and fighting to push the ball in the net on the early play where Air Bear was offsides. I felt bad for him because he deserved the goal there but Heber was waay offsides. I know the officials are instructed to let play go on, but they let that play go on far too long I thought.
  • Tinnerholm was channeling the spirit of Tommy Mac when he scored and crashed into the goal mouth. He needed to have chested the ball in for the full Tommy effect, though.
  • I was very happily shocked when Chanot got up after Espinoza kicked him in the knee. He was flailing spasmodically and I was sure his knee was blown out. When he was hurt again later on and we had one sub left I was annoyed we didn't use it to get him some rest.
  • The red card sequence with Espinoza was very confusing to me live. I didn't realize that he was initially given a second yellow/red. I just saw red. Then the ref goes to video review and seemed to signal, no that's not a red here's a red and I'm just like whatever.
  • How did that shot from Ring go in?

Last edited:
Couple (or 3) more:
  • On the play that led to the corner when SKC scored, NYCFC players were calling for a handball on Johnny Russell. After KC scored Johnson was still complaining.
  • Taty was so, so close to being onside on the play where Barath body slammed Parks.
  • If we're going to beat the best teams in the playoffs we need to finish those chances we had late. I kind of forgot about them because we were up 3-1 anyway and it was kind of no matter, but LAFC and Atlanta bury those.

Mitri doesn't suck. I think he's definitely an above average MLS player and light years ahead of Medina. Liked some of what I saw from him but still ran himself into trouble against multiple defenders at times. I know it's a short sample but I think there's a good chance GMS is better than him and he's not on DP status.

Mitri doesn't suck. I think he's definitely an above average MLS player and light years ahead of Medina. Liked some of what I saw from him but still ran himself into trouble against multiple defenders at times. I know it's a short sample but I think there's a good chance GMS is better than him and he's not on DP status.

I have criticized Mitrita a lot before, but I think this was his best match with us so far. Much more eager to combine with teammates, and as I said his passing yesterday was second only to Maxi's in terms of trying to make it vertical and incisive. GMS is a bit cooler headed IMHO (it is a tiny sample thus far tho) and I think switching them would raise our pass completion rate but maybe make us more predictable? There's a trade between "right" and "crazily daring"?

If Maxi is out, you can’t start a game with Ring underneath two Strikers. I get the idea of having him press when you’re winning 2-0 but either Parks should be there in the 3-5-2 or a winger in a 3-4-3

Definitely no Ring, please.

In terms of quickness of movement and pass, so you can release the last or next-to-last pass to a teammate in a way that surprises the opponent I would go with Mitrita.

In terms of ball security, patience and good judgement, Parks for sure.

I love Ring but he has neither of those qualities.

Loved this game.

I didnt think we played badly the beginning of the game. I was impressed by how prepared Vermes got SKC was for the way we played. They consistently closed down our preferred passing lanes and outlets. We had to adjust (like Maxi dropping back deeper to receive the ball add options) before we could start to impose our will on the game.

With GMS I think we now have the most talented stable of attacking players in MLS. Being able to bring a fresh GMS or Taty off the bench is a game changer in itself.

Mata absolutely crushed it against Johnny Russell, one of the elite wingers in MLS. Stuffed him 1v1 many times and Dome had the team well trained to neutralize his threat when he was able to skip by. Probably added as much to our attack as Russell did to SKCs. Mitri and Mata are not quite clicking yet, but by September I am expecting a ton more dangerous play down that side.

I might have been more impressed because I was sitting so close to the goal, but SJs save on the line to keep the ball out of the goal during the scramble was phenomenal. Crazy that he was able to get down that quick and that strong.

Zusi and Besler made defensive stops to remind us that they were elite defenders 2 years ago.

GMS unselfishness was refreshing, but I expect he will be shooting more as he integrates -- his passes from the wing were tremendous quality. He looked completely gassed after 30 minutes so don't expect him to be starting anytime soon.

Parks in place of Maxi if he is out next game.

The red card sequence with Espinoza was very confusing to me live.
It was even more confusing on TV because after the foul they cut to the moment after the second yellow was shown so it looked like a straight red. And the replay confirmed it should be a straight red. Then they went through the whole VAR process to ultimately show... a straight red. So, having not seen the initial second yellow I had no idea what was going on and the only thing I could come up with was mistaken identity. Now I understand.

Watching with the sound off didn't help.

Mata absolutely crushed it against Johnny Russell, one of the elite wingers in MLS. Stuffed him 1v1 many times and Dome had the team well trained to neutralize his threat when he was able to skip by. Probably added as much to our attack as Russell did to SKCs. Mitri and Mata are not quite clicking yet, but by September I am expecting a ton more dangerous play down that side.

I shit on Mata more than most people in this forum so have to give him kudos for an excellent game last night, especially on the defensive side. Around maybe the 20th (?) minute he made a last gasp 1-1 tackle to win the ball that if he doesn’t win that it is 2 attackers in on SJ and is probably the first goal of the game.

The more I watched the game go on, I was thinking the same about his assignment on Russell, that Mata’s skillset does match up rather well and he neutralized him well enough. Happy to see him put in a good shift yesterday because we all know that if NYCFC gets mata playing up to his potential (and eliminating dumb mistakes) this team is much, more dangerous.

The crowd look fine...,..i think it was 20k. , and felt like it. Surprised to see a few SKC and kansas city wizards jersey

If it was 20k it was a very late arriving crowd. Looking around during the anthem I was thinking “there’s no one here”. I thought maybe 10-12 in the building at most.

Reactions: Marito
If we're going to beat the best teams in the playoffs we need to finish those chances we had late. I kind of forgot about them because we were up 3-1 anyway and it was kind of no matter, but LAFC and Atlanta bury those.

Did you watch the late game last night? “MLS single season record holder stone cold finisher” Josef Martínez blew two chances with his team down 4-3 to tie the game. They miss chances too.

I was relishing in the sweet schadenfreude hearing Atlanta fans complain about all the calls LAFC were getting (offside goals, penalty that was outside the box, etc). This from the team that was literally a statistical anomaly with all the penalties they received last year. Hehehe.