Kreis Officially Out At NYCFC

2725241.jpg

You would reject Capello? How many wins that guy had with AC Milan?
Didn't say that. Just saying he has a well-known reputation for being a lineup shuffler and making unpredictable (and often controversial) line-up choices.
Good coach, more readily obvious before the national teams stints. His defensive formations could work in the MLS, though would have to be adapted to a roster lacking many defense-first players. It also would be interesting how the fans would react to play that is more tentative than it is sexy. Though more points would be sexy (albeit with lots of ties).
I will let the folks smarter than me make these decisions and hope the next one works out better than JK did.

Bullshit. Kreis has no one to blame but himself.

Name one thing he did well. Roster construction, poor. Lineups, poor. Tactics, poor. Player management, poor.

It's arrogant to think someone can do better? Really? Then I guess I'm arrogant too.

I think it's telling that the pro-Kreis crowd has nothing but excuses, and the only actual positive they ever point to is something he did 6 years ago.
If your argument is that "he was a scapegoat for the front office and didn't have any control over the things that went wrong", then roster construction and lineups would logically fall underneath the "not having any control". The tactics sucked at least partially due to the requirement of integrating Pirlo and Lampard, neither of whom can defend or really move at this stage. That changes what you can do as a team *entirely*, and puts more pressure on an already god awful defense.

When you have two limited superstars with name recognition that you have to cover for, pairing them with MLS journeymen and 17 year old loanees isn't a recipe for success. I strongly believe that Kreis was limited in his input for roster construction - we've seen it all year. He didn't want Pirlo, and was given assurances the Lampard extension wouldn't happen.

And when you're depending on the Expansion draft for talent, you're fucked. You guys hate Grabavoy and Wingert so much that it's actually creepy, but they were two of the three or four best players of 20 to come out of that draft. None of those guys are starting quality - you're pulling the 12th guy from Columbus, and expecting him to be a starter for a playoff team? And that was the foundation of the roster!

If you are of the belief that Jason Kreis is a quality coach (and the rest of MLS other than this tiny but vocal pocket of NYCFC fans *does*), then you're apt to let him do his damn job. City didn't.

Reactions: MagnusPax and Gene
It's clear now that this club is a circus, best course of action for fans is to accept it and strap in. I joked about this on the r/MLS forum the other day but it's true - NYCFC is going about things like the Knicks.

If you asked me about the next ten years of this club today, based on what we've seen so far, I have to think 2015 will be closer to the norm rather than an outlier, both on the field and off. Nothing about the organization suggests there will be stability, long term planning or any kind of coherent vision.

Well well well....after having a full day to digest everything, there is a few words that come to mind about this whole situation and about our team. I will list them for you. DISAPPOINTMENT, CLUSTER****, TURNSTILE.

I refuse to believe that Kreis got fired because he failed to make the playoffs. If CFG actually thought that this team can make the playoffs with David Villa and a bunch of MLS so to be rejects like Grabavoy, Wingert, Ballouchy, Brovsky, Saunders, etc....( we made this list before 100X) then I really we are ALL IN TROUBLE in terms of their whole evaluation process.

This firing simply has to do with Kreis not bending over, and bowing down to CFG. Simple as that which really worries. Kreis was showing his displeasure with Pirlo, he was showing his displeasure with the way CFG handled Lampard, and a few other things here and there and as I suspected a couple of weeks ago, I think their personalities don't mix. CFG needs someone that will do whatever CFG says without question. Kreis isn't like that so I think we can all forget about a coach coming in here and developing a perennial winning team year in and year out and staying with the team for the long haul. Which makes this move such a dissapointment.

Sure Kreis made mistakes but the fact that he was our first coach and a good one at that, I had hopes that we can all grow and he can make this team into a winner starting next year. Now what do we have?

We have no coach, a revolving door in the front office and in the coaching staff, a revolving door with the players, no stadium (not even close of getting), we have one of the worst teams in the league with 3 old dps and no real young talent except for Poku and Mix.

Again I go back to the question, wtf was CFG looking for when they hired Kreis and then tying one of his hands behind his back with Lampard and knowing the constraints of an MLS expansion team? I have quickly soured on CFG and really makes me question this team top to bottom. There is absolutely NO WAY they hire Kreis two years ago thinking he needs to make the playoffs his first year or else he is gone. NO WAY.

I sat through 19 years of BS from the Redbulls and Metrostars, and this type of offseason was the norm year in and year out for the that sorry ass franchise, and here we are in year 1, we do exactly as they did, to the T. Front office changes, coaching changes, 70% turnover in players year in and year out. This is the worst place to be as a franchise and for fans.
yep.gif

If your argument is that "he was a scapegoat for the front office and didn't have any control over the things that went wrong", then roster construction and lineups would logically fall underneath the "not having any control". The tactics sucked at least partially due to the requirement of integrating Pirlo and Lampard, neither of whom can defend or really move at this stage. That changes what you can do as a team *entirely*, and puts more pressure on an already god awful defense.

When you have two limited superstars with name recognition that you have to cover for, pairing them with MLS journeymen and 17 year old loanees isn't a recipe for success. I strongly believe that Kreis was limited in his input for roster construction - we've seen it all year. He didn't want Pirlo, and was given assurances the Lampard extension wouldn't happen.

And when you're depending on the Expansion draft for talent, you're fucked. You guys hate Grabavoy and Wingert so much that it's actually creepy, but they were two of the three or four best players of 20 to come out of that draft. None of those guys are starting quality - you're pulling the 12th guy from Columbus, and expecting him to be a starter for a playoff team? And that was the foundation of the roster!

If you are of the belief that Jason Kreis is a quality coach (and the rest of MLS other than this tiny but vocal pocket of NYCFC fans *does*), then you're apt to let him do his damn job. City didn't.

You proved my point by listing a bunch of excuses.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
You proved my point by listing a bunch of excuses.
You're dismissing the context that's at the heart of the argument as "excuses." That's your deal, dude.

Our front office sucks, and they won't fire themselves. If Kreis goes to the right team, he'll kick our asses for the next ten years.

Reactions: Gene
"The ridiculously named NYCFC"

Eh? Stopped reading at that point.....

Same here. Didn't get past that sentence. What a clown.

Here are the indisputable facts:

- Kreis continued to bench Poku after he showed that he's one of the most talented players on the team.
- Kreis continued to start Grabavoy after he showed that he's one of the worst players in MLS.
- Kreis continued to play Mix out of position.
- Kreis continued to play Villa up top all alone when it was clear we scored more when someone played up top with him.
- Kreis showed no kind of leadership during games. There were times when he looked like he was daydreaming.
- Kreis has stated that Wingert is the kind of player that you build a team around.
- Kreis managed to end the season with the second worst PPG in the entire league even though he had 3 world class players on his squad.

These are the facts. They can not be disputed. No human making decision like this should be coaching a professional soccer team. All the naysayers and MLS writers can get their hard-ons bitching about this, but they're all wrong. The facts prove that.

Last edited:
I can't argue that he didn't have roster control when a quarter of our team played with him at some point in their career and just about all of them were no successful with us.
Clearly then you don't know how MLS team building works, has to work with limited funds and a cap. You build your roster and then add the pieces you need through DPs. This is not the route we took. Either by his own fanboy need to sign Pirlo or being told to play him by CFG, Kreis got at least 2 DPs that this team DIDNT need and then tried to fit them in. Next year we need to have the core and then add parts we need. I'm not sure Villa, Pirlo and Lamps are ever going to make the best core for this team. And with the paltry remaining cap, how do you put parts around them to succeed?

Here’s a summary of some of what we heard in public sound bytes this season (I’m too lazy/busy to look for clips, so I’m just paraphrasing my recollection):

JK publicly complains about the value of older DPs

JK publicly complains about DPs joining mid-season

JK publicly states that Mix is not as good as advertised and suggests that he is more glitz than game

JK justifies pulling DV mid-game

JK makes statements which suggest that Pirlo was not his choice (does not say this directly, but his forced statements about Pirlo could easily have been read to imply this, consistent with other reports of same)

JK publicly calls his players quitters

JK publicly says that his players lacked appropriate effort to win

JK publicly says that his players do not handle adversity well

JK publicly states that he and his staff were fully committed to the team, but questioned whether certain players shared that dedication

JK publicly says with a suspicious half-smile that he would like to stay “if it were up to him” wink wink (when I heard that I knew that he was gone)

DV publicly complains about not having the support he needs (I see this now as his complaining about JK, not his teammates)

FL publicly flatly rejects JK’s suggestion that the team quit and praised the team’s attitude and their will to win

AP publicly suggests that he disagrees with JK’s assessment of the team’s attitude

Various other players take issue with JK’s suggestion that they quit

Even forgetting about whether or not some of these are or are not justified, these do not suggest a happy marriage between JK and owners or JK and team. Some of this can be viewed as calling out CFG from very early on, and much of this suggests a massive divide between JK and team.

Clearly then you don't know how MLS team building works, has to work with limited funds and a cap. You build your roster and then add the pieces you need through DPs. This is not the route we took. Either by his own fanboy need to sign Pirlo or being told to play him by CFG, Kreis got at least 2 DPs that this team DIDNT need and then tried to fit them in. Next year we need to have the core and then add parts we need. I'm not sure Villa, Pirlo and Lamps are ever going to make the best core for this team. And with the paltry remaining cap, how do you put parts around them to succeed?
Would have been sweet if we developed that core this year then, wouldn't it?

That may or may not be the only way to build a team in MLS. As you say, we'll see.

Reactions: Paul
If there was a way of unifying the posts in this thread, I think it would be under the banner apportionment of blame.

Personally, I'm not happy and I'm not sad to see Kreis go. We all agree that CFG made some decisions that negatively affected our ability to win games and compete for a playoff spot this season. But for every instance of a specific issue with Kreis that has been pointed out, those that favored keeping him on seem to re-direct back to CFG. And I just don't find the latter very persuasive. I think the #kreisout folks raised specific and valid concerns about Kreis' actions and decisions throughout the season