Kreis Officially Out At NYCFC

Same here. Didn't get past that sentence. What a clown.

Here are the indisputable facts:

- Kreis continued to bench Poku after he showed that he's one of the most talented players on the team.
- Kreis continued to start Grabavoy after he showed that he's one of the worst players in MLS.
- Kreis continued to play Mix out of position.
- Kreis continued to play Villa up top all alone when it was clear we scored more when someone played up top with him.
- Kreis showed no kind of leadership during games. There were times when he looked like he was daydreaming.
- Kreis has stated that Wingert is the kind of players that you build a team around.
- Kreis managed to end the season with the second worst PPG in the entire league even though he had 3 world class players on his squad.

These are the facts. They can not be disputed. No human making decision like this should be coaching a professional soccer team. All the naysayers and MLS writers can get their hard-ons bitching about this, but they're all wrong. The facts prove that.
Oh hose off. Those aren't facts - they're your opinions.

- Please show me statistics that show that Grabavoy was "one of the worst players in MLS". That's a crock of shit. In fact, the statistics most of the year showed he was one of the most useful players on the club. I'm not arguing he's a fantastic player at this stage in his career (neither are his backups, for that matter), but the hatejerk you all have for Grabavoy is really, really creepy. Seriously - find another hobby.

- Mix played out of position so he could play *at all*. He was below mediocre for the vast majority of the season, so his "natural position" wasn't even a good fit for him. By playing him on the wing, you're at least getting him on the field with the Pirlo/Lampard gametime mandate. Otherwise, he'd be coming off the bench, and we'd be starting a worse player for him (when we have no natural wingers on the team other than Villa.)

- Early in the season, Nemec was hot garbage, and our only other legitimate pair for Villa. Later in the season, Mullins started to show up, but you all hated his ass too. So you're left with... who? If you play Poku up top, you all would cry about playing him out of position.

And later in the season, you also have to work our aging midfield onto the field, as it's the only position (outside of Villa) that we have MLS quality talent. So naturally, you move to a system with 4 or more midfielders, and you shield Pirlo and Lampard with Jacobsen. That's your only play getting their shambling corpses onto the field, while still expecting to compete.

- If your argument is that a coach has to get over the intercom and scream at his players to show leadership, I don't know what to tell you. The Bobby Knight coaching style is one way to do it, but there are plenty of quiet leaders.

- Wingert, at one stage in his career, *was* the kind of player you build a team around. That's not wrong! At RSL, he could be effective at 3 or 4 positions, was dependable, and was *cheap*. If you're not building a team with that kind of player, you're not going to win in MLS. You have to have versatile and cheap utility players to pair with the (very expensive) creative forces due to MLS' byzantine roster structures. He wasn't wrong on that, and any MLS coach who tells you different won't be employed for long.

- He had 1 world class player on his squad all season. He had two aging and overpaid duds forced on him for half a season. Lampard and Pirlo did not provide their value in anything but ticket sales. The "world class" line is fucking bunk.

Your arguments come down to Poku not playing enough and opinion. Who's to say the next guy doesn't sell Poku? Will you fire him then, too?

The rest of the league is scrambling to hire the guy you all wanted to run out of town. Goodness.

I'm so happy that this finally happened!

My biggest gripe with Kreis was that Grabavoy had a broken toe and started most of the year. Let me repeat that for emphasis. Ned Grabavoy had a broken toe and started over Kwadwo Poku. Kreis's rosters were just head scratching.,

For example, we have lots of old and slow DP's, lets run out our old and slow MLS journeymen to cover them! Sterling stuff there captain.

Additionally so what if Kreis won the shield in 2009 and was perennially in the playoffs. 2009 was a very different league, and was six years ago. AND ITS NOT THAT HARD TO GET IN THE PLAYOFFS! 60% of the league gets into the freaking playoffs. You literally have a better chance of getting to the post season than at the beginning everyone just started flipping a coin for it.

With respect to the MLS is unique, blah blah blah salary cap bull, that's why you hire some dude who knows the cap rules in and out. That cap expert can then help a manager figure out their options.

It feels like this whole MLS is unique thing is because there is a vested interest from MLS media in saying it. CFG hired exactly who the media wanted and did exactly what all the pundits thought was best, and guess what? Jason Kreis was not a good fit for the team and the managerial style, that shit happens in real life. CFG wants to run NYCFC as a big league club Jason Kreis could not hack it.

To those who think that there is something special about the limitations that Jason Kreis was put under there are two things I would like to address.

Firstly, you are speculating, the public knows next to nothing about the relationship between Kreis and CFG. Besides the DP's being CFG's choice, we know very little about how players and teams were selected. Also the DP's we have now are the correct business choice. An average attendance 10,000 people greater than our cross town rivals proves that.

Secondly, Ned Grabavoy started with a broken toe over Kwadwo Poku. Please explain that to me. I want you to help me understand the roster choices that Kreis put on the field all year. Starting with why did Ned Grabavoy start when he had a broken toe over a healthy Kwadwo Poku.

Kreis was given the tools to succeed even if it was only for a third of the season. But you know what, I'm willing to bet that he would still have his job if NYCFC went on some kind of streak at the end, or at least began to show an upward trending consistency, even if we did not make the playoffs. Instead the last third of the season was much like the first two thirds, inconsistent. We would show a truly great team one week, and the very next week we would start a different 11 and be mediocre at best.

Here’s a summary of some of what we heard in public sound bytes this season

I know you were doing it from memory, but you forget/I will add JK's comment about Poku: "He's not as good as people are saying, and he's not as bad as people may have said earlier."

On a related note, after Poku was player of the month in August (scored three goals and had one assist in six matches -- only three of them starts) he was on the bench for all of the September matches against Dallas, Toronto, San Jose, and all of the October matches against DC, Orlando and New England. Add to that the report that Kreis tried to trade him to Philadelphia.

What bothers me in this thread is that many of you are rejecting immediately the thought of a non-MLS manager to replace him.

While I understand the rest of the world offers no cap restrictions, you can't tell me that Fabio Capello, or Brendan Rogers, or Bob Bradley aren't better managers than Kreis.

Your argument is essentially that NO ONE in Europe could COACH this team better than Jason Kreis. I reject that. If Jason Kreis was a brilliant coach, Liverpool would have hired him instead of Klopp.

What the team needs is an MLS savvy front office (I don't know if we have that), combined with a brilliant coach.

What bothers me in this thread is that many of you are rejecting immediately the thought of a non-MLS manager to replace him.

While I understand the rest of the world offers no cap restrictions, you can't tell me that Fabio Capello, or Brendan Rogers, or Bob Bradley aren't better managers than Kreis.

Your argument is essentially that NO ONE in Europe could COACH this team better than Jason Kreis. I reject that. If Jason Kreis was a brilliant coach, Liverpool would have hired him instead of Klopp.

What the team needs is an MLS savvy front office (I don't know if we have that), combined with a brilliant coach.
I am not sure a lot of Managers can really coach, in Europe if you have a problem you have to buy your way out of it.

Reactions: Gene
A lot of hyperboles going on here. My thoughts....

I generally thought Kreis should have gotten another year. A good, solid offseason with the whole squad to really tighten things down and plan going forward. If 2016 goes poorly, then good riddance.

However, I'm not completely disappointed with this decision....His tactics were awful, his lineup choices were shit, and he seemed to not have great control over the locker room.

I don't mind this firing, as long as the following two items hold true:
  • We have someone ready to come in relatively soon that is a good hire (hard to determine this, but I'll stick with it)
  • This short leash is not continued to be had with future coaches. I get firing a coach for poor performance, but I don't want a revolving door there.
Now, as some rumors say, if he had, in fact, lost complete control over the locker room and the players, then by all means, he deserved to be fired. Absolutely, without a doubt.

- Please show me statistics that show that Grabavoy was "one of the worst players in MLS".

- Mix played out of position so he could play *at all*. He was below mediocre for the vast majority of the season, so his "natural position" wasn't even a good fit for him.

- Later in the season, Mullins started to show up, but you all hated his ass too.

That's your only play getting their shambling corpses onto the field, while still expecting to compete.

- If your argument is that a coach has to get over the intercom and scream at his players to show leadership, I don't know what to tell you. The Bobby Knight coaching style is one way to do it, but there are plenty of quiet leaders.

- Wingert, at one stage in his career, *was* the kind of player you build a team around.

- The "world class" line is fucking bunk.

Nah, bro. Great post and I respect the perspective but... nahhhhhhhh, bro.

- Neds stat box is misleading. Just look at this. You might see 86% passing completion and think that's "effective" football. It's not when you scroll down and see style of play as layoffs and short passes. One key thing they left out... BACKWARDS. Even looking at overall ratings over the season, Ned is at 22... down with a group that was either injured or just didn't get much playing time. For 1884 minutes, he has managed 2 goals in a lightning strike game and 1 assist. Poku has 4 goals 6 assists and an 81% PSR in 983 minutes...

- True on Mix but he is young and capable. That will be a great measure of what this next coach is made of; if he can direct Mix into the player that he is supposed to be.

- Nobody that I recall hated Mullins. The guy has been fantastic for us in his limited time!

These guys can play. There is no doubt about that. They are not speedsters but their cunning far outweighs their lack of speed. So, as "old" as they may be, they can still contribute greatly.

- He didn't need to get a on a mic and scream but he needed to show leadership. I never SAW it in any form. I said the same thing about Iraola. Is he a leader? Yes. His career proves that. Was he the right kind of leader here? Nope. Thus, he was quickly shuttled to the bench.

- "At one stage in his career." Interesting, different rule set for Pirlo and Lampard. Let's chalk this one up to misspeaking. Wingert was the type of player that you built a team up WITH, not around. Around implies that the subject is the center piece.

- They're world class. Period. They didn't just dominate on arrival but that's a good thing. The league is competitive and coaches know how to adjust tactics. Saying Pirlo is not world class and he just played a CL Final is absurd. Same for Lampard. He is a world class player. Still.

The next coach will have certainly have his hands full but he will also have a much greater frame of reference.