Lampard To Nycfc

Looks like they are going to stash him at Melbourne City to keep him fit and then bring him over in time for 2015.

Reactions: KjChronic
Welcome Frank.

I hope he plays a CDM role.

So I'm guessing that NYCFC is waiting until after the World Cup to make this official.

Since there is a 1 loaned player rule (right?) is it possible he signs for Melbourne and then is given a free transfer to NYCFC to avoid the rule?

Since there is a 1 loaned player rule (right?) is it possible he signs for Melbourne and then is given a free transfer to NYCFC to avoid the rule?

I can't see it happening. There are several issues with this idea:

For a start it breaks Melbourne's squad cap as they then have to accommodate him as a full-time player even if he's only there for a third of a season, meaning they miss out on signing a foreign marquee. Considering that the A-League only allows one foreign "DP" (youth marquee slot aside) this would essentially put big question marks over their side for the rest of the season, it would be like NYCFC only offering its 3 DPs 6 month contracts.

Secondly, it gives Lampard a get-out clause. You can bet that he would be absolutely bombarded with offers from Europe, the Middle East and perhaps even MLS trying to persuade him to renege on his NYCFC deal, and if any of them succeeded in turning his head, there would be absolutely nothing the club could do to stop him simply flying off to some other city after his six months in Melbourne were up.

Thirdly, it's not certain what the rules are with the A-League exactly. You're only allowed one guest player, and you're only allowed one loanee. It seems like no-one really knows whether loanees count as guests, though. Simply put, it doesn't really happen much. Also, in the past clubs (read: Sydney FC) have managed to use accounting tricks to circumvent the cap on guests anyway, so some people are suggesting that the 1 guest and/or loan limit is worth about as much as the paper it's written on anyway.

For a start it breaks Melbourne's squad cap as they then have to accommodate him as a full-time player even if he's only there for a third of a season, meaning they miss out on signing a foreign marquee. Considering that the A-League only allows one foreign "DP" (youth marquee slot aside) this would essentially put big question marks over their side for the rest of the season, it would be like NYCFC only offering its 3 DPs 6 month contracts.

Secondly, it gives Lampard a get-out clause. You can bet that he would be absolutely bombarded with offers from Europe, the Middle East and perhaps even MLS trying to persuade him to renege on his NYCFC deal, and if any of them succeeded in turning his head, there would be absolutely nothing the club could do to stop him simply flying off to some other city after his six months in Melbourne were up.

Thirdly, it's not certain what the rules are with the A-League exactly. You're only allowed one guest player, and you're only allowed one loanee. It seems like no-one really knows whether loanees count as guests, though. Simply put, it doesn't really happen much. Also, in the past clubs (read: Sydney FC) have managed to use accounting tricks to circumvent the cap on guests anyway, so some people are suggesting that the 1 guest and/or loan limit is worth about as much as the paper it's written on anyway.

Great post.

If we are to sign him, my guess is that he will mostly likely continue to train in England before joining up with us when we start training. Saying that I am sure there are plenty of Premier League clubs that would love to take him on loan - QPR (Redknapp is his Uncle) or West Ham which is his boyhood club.

Whatever happens I would absolutely LOVE us to sign Lamps. I'd be first in line for his jersey!

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan

very informative, i appreciate the knowledge. i have no clue what goes on behind the scenes in this sport as far as signing trading loans etc so this really helped me gain some understanding thank you

Personally putting the chances at 99.9% all the clear signs are there to know this is just a matter of time. Perhaps Lampard is on holiday at the moment hence why there's no official confirmation. Maybe he will play in Australia briefly which is largely irrelevant other than himself and Villa getting the opportunity to play a few games together. Really the big question now is who will be the third DP?

Personally putting the chances at 99.9% all the clear signs are there to know this is just a matter of time. Perhaps Lampard is on holiday at the moment hence why there's no official confirmation. Maybe he will play in Australia briefly which is largely irrelevant other than himself and Villa getting the opportunity to play a few games together. Really the big question now is who will be the third DP?
Sorry just being snarky. I thought it was funny that posters were saying its 110% chance of Lampard going to Melbourne when we don't even know if he is actually signing with NYCFC yet.

Sorry just being snarky. I thought it was funny that posters were saying its 110% chance of Lampard going to Melbourne when we don't even know if he is actually signing with NYCFC yet.

I had calculated a 87.32% but was not able to reliably replicate the results (I got 83.69% and 91.45% in other runs) so chose not to share.

I thought Villa was going there as well (Or have I misinterpreted what you say)

I think you've misinterpreted. Villa has gone to Melbourne, but he's technically signed up as an NYCFC player - he's either at Melbourne as a guest or a loanee, the club haven't specified which. At any rate he's not joined Melbourne under a full (albeit short) contract, which is what Dan was suggested Lampard might do.