Luis Robles not happy with attendance

Konrad

Registered
Mar 17, 2015
Mamaroneck, NY
youtu.be
this might not be the right place for it, but it's too sweet not to post in a "bigger" thread. So I'll......just.....leave....this..........right....here.....enjoy

http://www.metrosoccernation.com/robles-challenges-fans-fill-red-bull-arena/

-When asked about the atmosphere he expects in the playoffs, the franchise record-holder in numerous categories didn’t hold back. “I don’t know what’s going on there. It’s a little discouraging at times as a player to step out there and see we don’t have a full stadium.”

He went on, “Is it the big names that’s going to fill up the stadium? We had that but the stadium wasn’t full. Is it the team winning? Well the team’s been winning now for years – the last two years have been exceptional – and yet the fans aren’t there.”

“We’re hoping, especially in the last home game, that the supporters do come out. They understand and appreciate the group of honest, hardworking guys that’s here. I hope they come out and support us.”

Ooooooo that feels too sweet

Well, Luis, I'll answer your questions as best I can:

It's about energy, Luis. No, not the kind that your parent company keeps talking about having stored in an aluminum can. The energy I'm talking about is the energy of a city or town and its people. Ain't no energy in Harrison, Luis.

they do have fans....i dont doubt that...just that their stadium is such a pain in the ass to get to. especially now with those path trains weekend shutdown/ detours. thats why no one goes, no matter how the team does.

Robles brought this up during the RB town hall meeting back in March.

Forward to the 36 minute mark.

(Edit: I did not now that stopping at that mark, and copying the link to the site, it starts at that mark... nice.)

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . NOT

Robles brought this up during the RB town hall meeting back in March.

Forward to the 36 minute mark.

(Edit: I did not now that stopping at that mark, and copying the link to the site, it starts at that mark... nice.)

Love it. Two specific comments.
  1. The opening statement at the start of the video that, "you guys are the best fans in MLS." I'm not going to make that claim for NYCFC. But I kind of think Timbers Army might have a thing or two to say about that.
  2. The comment by Robles at around 37 minutes that a full stadium, "isn't a matter of if but when." When you are making that kind of comment 20 years into your run ... maybe it's a matter of if.

Love it. Two specific comments.
  1. The opening statement at the start of the video that, "you guys are the best fans in MLS." I'm not going to make that claim for NYCFC. But I kind of think Timbers Army might have a thing or two to say about that.
  2. The comment by Robles at around 37 minutes that a full stadium, "isn't a matter of if but when." When you are making that kind of comment 20 years into your run ... maybe it's a matter of if.
At this point, I'm not sure that Marketing to the city will help (like the fan asked him) - Metro/RB alienated the city at the beginning in 96 with zero presence and instead went after the NJ soccer mom suburban culture. It didn't exactly work and their product on the field was abysmal for years. And with the stadium in an isolated location with reliance on the PATH train, no amount of new marketing is going to make a dent in the city with NYCFC rolling out their campaigns. And add that their coach is an insufferable complainer which can't score points with any untapped fans. A perfect storm to keep that stadium undersold.

Funny enough I got a call from Red Bulls today about buying a ticket package to their last home game of the regular season. I guess their front office is making a push to sell out a game that doesn't involve NYCFC this year.

While it's good for soccer, it's a bit depressing. At the same time I'd love to see NYCFC pack Yankee Stadium with an above average crowd for our regular season finale.

Funny enough I got a call from Red Bulls today about buying a ticket package to their last home game of the regular season. I guess their front office is making a push to sell out a game that doesn't involve NYCFC this year.

While it's good for soccer, it's a bit depressing. At the same time I'd love to see NYCFC pack Yankee Stadium with an above average crowd for our regular season finale.

The organization that runs the Supporters' Shield decides where to bring the Shield for the final game of the season. Depending on how the Week 33 games go, it will probably be traveling to Dallas. But, if we have a good shot of winning it and they bring it to New York I expect an above average attendance. Closer to 29-30K

Last year we had 34,150 for a meaningless game in the finale. We've only exceeded that twice this season.

Tickets for this one seem to be selling pretty well. I don't think we will open up the 3rd deck, but I would expect a solid sell out of the rest - 29K or so.

Reactions: adam and Goodfella