Mix Gone?

This may explain why Mix doesn't play View attachment 5793
Well... good thing I'm training for a 10k, maybe I can run next to him and ask him questions.

Apparently he's running the marathon this year?

Guess that would be a big F-U to people who may have questions about his commitment and fitness. :eyes:

Reactions: Kjbert
Well... good thing I'm training for a 10k, maybe I can run next to him and ask him questions.

Apparently he's running the marathon this year?

Guess that would be a big F-U to people who may have questions about his commitment and fitness. :eyes:
Well, fitness for a marathon and fitness for soccer are two different things. I last ran a marathon 3 years ago as a 40yo in 3:01. I played soccer two weeks ago for the first time in 17 years and thought my groin adductors and quads were going to cave in. Not that I'm in marathon race shape now, but I'm still getting mileage in and none of it translated over to match fitness.

If he's really running it, I hope he has a good marathon, but proper training can't really take place concurrently with soccer training. A bigger point is that the 2016 NYC marathon is Nov 6th and MLS Conference Semifinals are the same day. Not to mention, one's legs are wrecked after the race and it takes a few weeks to get back to normal activity.

Not sure how that is supposed to explain why he isn't playing. Maybe it's a reference to his long struggle to get back on the pitch. I replied with a literal answer and then said I hope yours ends on Friday.

Well the marathon, on November 6, is the same day as the second leg of the Eastern Conference semifinals. So there are a few scenarios:

1) Mix knows we won't reach this far in the playoffs and thus is okay to run the marathon.
2) Vieira told Mix he'll never be in the 18 again for the rest of the season and let him do what we wants on game days, thus being the most expensive practice squad player in MLS.
3) Mix has the fitness to run a marathon and then suit up for NYCFC in the afternoon (though depending on our seeding, the second leg may not be in New York).

Well the marathon, on November 6, is the same day as the second leg of the Eastern Conference semifinals. So there are a few scenarios:

1) Mix knows we won't reach this far in the playoffs and thus is okay to run the marathon.
2) Vieira told Mix he'll never be in the 18 again for the rest of the season and let him do what we wants on game days, thus being the most expensive practice squad player in MLS.
3) Mix has the fitness to run a marathon and then suit up for NYCFC in the afternoon (though depending on our seeding, the second leg may not be in New York).

I thought about all these and came up with

4) Mix is offering up yet another tweet that is more about metaphor than literal meaning - his NY Marathon is his lengthy struggle to get on the pitch for the local club. Training for a marathon can keep you in good fitness, but it would do nothing to help him get back in the 18 or on the pitch with another team. If true (and I am increasingly doubting it is), it is perhaps a sign that he's not that serious about his soccer career.

Read the tweet timeline, someone asked him if he is running it and he said he is.

No way he is still training and actively a part of the NYCFC roster if the marathon is < 2 months away, or he thinks he can run it without prep and assumes that he won't be an active part of NYCFC then.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Listened to MIB podcast today. They brought up an interesting point about Manchester United.

Man U is a global brand that is extremely valuable, so much so that the success of the brand/business could be more important than the success of the team. See the Pogba announcement on twitter for an example of timing that's fit for a global audience instead of an English one. http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/why-did-manchester-united-confirm-paul-pogba-transfer-middle-night-1575144

I wonder if CFG has determined that Mix is no longer a draw for the team. Meaning that having Mix in the starting line-up won't raise viewership in tv or put people in the seats. Irregardless of his play he's no longer profitable for the team.

Mix's issues with NYCFC seemed to start after the Guatemala qualifier for the World Cup. Which was such a bad game for him that it basically ensured he wouldn't play for the MNT for the rest of qualifiers.

TL/DR : Mix is no longer a big player on USMNT. Mix is not going to draw in US audiences. Mix is no longer raising CFG profits.

Last edited:
Mix is clearly good enough to make at least the bench so I'm assuming there was some kind of blow out or something behind closed doors. Doesn't matter he's gone come this off season. He'll be back with his pops ripping people off in no time.

Well, fitness for a marathon and fitness for soccer are two different things. I last ran a marathon 3 years ago as a 40yo in 3:01. I played soccer two weeks ago for the first time in 17 years and thought my groin adductors and quads were going to cave in. Not that I'm in marathon race shape now, but I'm still getting mileage in and none of it translated over to match fitness.

If he's really running it, I hope he has a good marathon, but proper training can't really take place concurrently with soccer training. A bigger point is that the 2016 NYC marathon is Nov 6th and MLS Conference Semifinals are the same day. Not to mention, one's legs are wrecked after the race and it takes a few weeks to get back to normal activity.

I had knee surgery in Nov '15 and did a half in June '16. I pretty much came off the couch at age 54.
I bet these guys run 35-40 miles a week in training. A full marathon should not be much of a stretch for them.
He may not have a 3:01(great time by the way) buy should be under 3:45 the way he runs on the field.

Listened to MIB podcast today. They brought up an interesting point about Manchester United.

Man U is a global brand that is extremely valuable, so much so that the success of the brand/business could be more important than the success of the team. See the Pogba announcement on twitter for an example of timing that's fit for a global audience instead of an English one. http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/why-did-manchester-united-confirm-paul-pogba-transfer-middle-night-1575144

I wonder if CFG has determined that Mix is no longer a draw for the team. Meaning that having Mix in the starting line-up won't raise viewership in tv or put people in the seats. Irregardless of his play he's no longer profitable for the team.

Mix's issues with NYCFC seemed to start after the Guatemala qualifier for the World Cup. Which was such a bad game for him that it basically ensured he wouldn't play for the MNT for the rest of qualifiers.

TL/DR : Mix is no longer a big player on USMNT. Mix is not going to draw in US audiences. Mix is no longer raising CFG profits.
That makes so much sense, great post. It's obviously more profitable to leave Mix out of the 18 and replace him with Mikey Lopez and the like.
Did you graduate from NYU or Columbia?

I had knee surgery in Nov '15 and did a half in June '16. I pretty much came off the couch at age 54.
I bet these guys run 35-40 miles a week in training. A full marathon should not be much of a stretch for them.
He may not have a 3:01(great time by the way) buy should be under 3:45 the way he runs on the field.
On that mileage, and with soccer training being anaerobic with starts/stops and walking, it's going to be a big stretch to run nearly 4 hours straight. Miles 20-22 are where the wheels come off for even those that properly train. He may wind up being a natural with an exceptionally high VO2, or maybe he was a distance runner as a kid/teen, but if not then those last 4-6 miles will feel like hell.

Reactions: northernburbs
That makes so much sense, great post. It's obviously more profitable to leave Mix out of the 18 and replace him with Mikey Lopez and the like.
Did you graduate from NYU or Columbia?

It's just a theory. Props for laying on the sarcasm. It's not easy to pull off in text only.

I would say though that it's entirely possible that CFG is just trying to make as much money as possible off this team. They may not actually care whether they win or not.

Making the playoffs is obviously important to them. But after that, they might not genuinely care about the team winning a cup.

They picked 3 DPs from the 3 biggest soccer markets in the world. They must know that if MLS gets international attention their TV deals could bring in serious cash. Not to mention the global sales of jerseys and merch.

On that mileage, and with soccer training being anaerobic with starts/stops and walking, it's going to be a big stretch to run nearly 4 hours straight. Miles 20-22 are where the wheels come off for even those that properly train. He may wind up being a natural with an exceptionally high VO2, or maybe he was a distance runner as a kid/teen, but if not then those last 4-6 miles will feel like hell.

You left out the part where you say thanks after I said you had a great time of 3:01

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
You left out the part where you say thanks after I said you had a great time of 3:01
Yeah I guess I did, so belatedly thank you, but it wasn't ignored because I wasn't appreciative of your recognition, but more because I didn't want it to be about a humble brag. The reference to the time was only meant to illustrate a certain level of marathon fitness/ability doesn't translate over to footy in a 1-to-1 correlation.

I've got a funny feeling when he got dropped, he said something to management, NYCFC probably want rid of because of the Salary Cap, is it because Lampard and Pirlo are ahead of him in the midfield positions, very strange to see someone talented to be dropped

Sorry for the lack of posts recently, been mega busy unfortunately with life, still been following NYCFC though, gonna make a effort posting on here still

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
Stop dodging and just tell us the real facts we all want to know.... do you have a 26.2 bumper sticker or not?