Mix most overrated in player poll

Curious which players voted - based on the results, I would guess there's a ton of jealousy from the players in the league making less than $200-300K and they find it hard to justify Mix's salary based on last year's club fiasco (along with 6 of the 10 highest paid players in the league that made the top ten). Perhaps some of those voting should also think about whether they've been called up to the MNT, or their own NT, on a regular basis. Meh - Mix is going to prove all of the haters wrong this year.

And it was conducted by ESPiN.... so they are always looking for controversy to push clicks.

"Three of the top four players named play for NYCFC. After Diskerud, players took aim at his teammates Frank Lampard and Andrea Pirlo.

The next four names were all among the league's top 10 highest-paid players. Steven Gerrard of the LA Galaxy was fifth, followed by his teammate Giovani Dos Santos and Toronto FC's Michael Bradley in a tie for sixth, with Seattle's Clint Dempsey eighth.

U.S. internationals accounted for 18 of the 38 players named as most overrated."​

My intuition is saying these poll results are what they are because the majority of MLS players are what you could call "rank and file", and as such are always going to have a harsh opinion of the players who are more highly paid and get more attention in the press.

Mix was bad last season and I understand the results. He kept getting US call ups and I bet Dax was calling his buddies and crying. Mix as been very good this season without Kreis.

Lampard with the upset of the century only being #3.

If you look at the article that covers the other poll topics there are some interesting items. Among them
  • 92% say MLS should take off during international breaks.
  • 44% say salaries are the one thing they would change if they could (a major plurality)
  • 49% favor Pro/Rel; last year it was 64%. I'm guessing this has more to do with the sample than a big change in attitudes.
There's a bunch more. Worth reading.

http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-soccer/19/blog/post/2826676/2016-mls-anonymous-player-poll

Last edited:
I think it's funny that MLS players were polled:

MOST OVERRATED:
1. Mix Diskerud - NYCFC
2. Jozy Altidore - TFC
3. Frank Lampard - NYCFC
4. Andrea Pirlo - NYCFC
5. Steven Gerrard - LAG
6. Giovani Dos Santos - LAG
7. Michael Bradley - TFC
8. Clint Dempsey - SEA
9 . Aurelien Collin - OCSC
10. Benny Feilhaber - SKC

MOST UNDERRATED:
1. Dax McCarty - NJRB
2. Darlington Nagbe - PORT
3. Fabian Castillo - FCD
4. Diego Chara - PORT
5. Kellyn Acosta - FCD
6. Osvaldo Alonso - SEA
7. Sacha Kljestan - NJRB
8. Matias Laba - VAN
9. Lee Nguyen - REV
10. Chris Tierney - REV

I wonder when this poll was taken. I would bet in the pre-season. Can't criticize Mix based on his performance this year.

A lot of this is just guys throwing shade at players who make a lot of money here. If there is a story being told, it's not that Mix or Maestro aren't that good. It's that there is some serious salary envy going on in a league that has a huge disparity in pay.

I expect this given the bs salary system mls has. You have athletic american players with limited skill upset at more marketable american amd foreign players with more skill and probably less atleticism now in their careers.

This will continue until they fix this stupid salary cap and dp system.

Reactions: ktdNYCFC
Curious which players voted - based on the results, I would guess there's a ton of jealousy from the players in the league making less than $200-300K and they find it hard to justify Mix's salary

Mix is #1 because there's a ton of players who have put their time in the league and make that "veteran" salary of $200-$300K and they can't see some guy come in and basically produce like them (who is not a DP - there are different sour grapes for DP players), but gets paid 3x what they are getting paid? Of course he's overrated! Add to the fact that he is in NY (which people hate) and on a new team (that people love to hate) and it makes sense.

Imagine, you're Ned Grabavoy, MLS lifer, been in the league for years, worked hard and had success, and now this new flashy guy on a flashy new team that is splashing the cash is getting paid more than you? And he's not playing better than you are? Of course he is overrated!!

If there is a story being told, it's not that Mix or Maestro aren't that good. It's that there is some serious salary envy going on in a league that has a huge disparity in pay.
This also maybe explains the player who made me go "What/ Why him?" Aurelian Collin at No. 9 on the overrated list. Not that I think highly of him. I couldn't even tell you the first thing about him, to be honest. But it seems you should be of a certain stature to be overrated that he just doesn't have.
Then I checked. In 2014 he made $275k base at SKC. Last year he made $500k base at OCSC.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Lampard and Pirlo have both played what, 13 games? Lamps is most likely "overrated" because of the City fiasco plus the fact that he was injured a lot, no way he earns $6MM.

Every man and his dog had fun snickering at Pirlo after he took some time to adjust to guys running straight at him and hacking at him MLS-style, the narrative was "he can't play in MLS!!!" and all the talking heads started to feel better about their league.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
CeKl9WqVAAI-U47.jpg