MLS and Apple Broadcasting Deal

Until you call them and threaten to cut the cord and they offer you a deal. It’s a pain but it works. That MSG deal is crazy expensive. And it’s not really for five teams. It’s realistically for two: the hockey team and the hoops team that you support, or like me, one, because I don’t follow basketball at all. This deal right here is the tipping point where cable starts to make more sense than cord cutting in a very simple equation.

depends on the rep you get many wont budge so you call in few times to see if you get something. dont always work at lest not in my experience. i eventually did because i moved out but they didnt seem to care.

depends on the rep you get many wont budge so you call in few times to see if you get something. dont always work at lest not in my experience. i eventually did because i moved out but they didnt seem to care.
Sorry I mis-worded that. I shouldn’t have said “threaten.” It really only works if you call to actually cut the cord. You have to be ready to go all the way, and they may let you get very close to doing so before they start to bargain. I called with the full intention of cutting the cord. I had done the math and would have happily accepted that outcome. But when they realized I wasn’t bluffing they started to bargain hard. If they sense you are just fishing they won’t play ball. You literally have to be ready to walk. And you have to know the number they need to match to keep you. Just the fact that you have called and asked more than once without cutting them off likely signals to them that you are fishing.

Reactions: Vallos
I feel like each team should nominate a few player and we focus of those players throughout the season, maybe Id focus on a star (maybe santi for us) a youngster (tayvon or Justin) and one other. Then I'd interesting stories to highlight aside from just making the playoffs and the normal stuff (while still having that content)

Apple stays on for three segments after the game and doesn't do an interview? Where's the access we used to get from players and coaches? YES used to have two pregame interviews and a postgame interview on home games. Where has that gone? I know Apple is new and they're still building, but the lack of seriousness in pregame, halftime and postgame coverage is insulting.

At least the commentary team tonight was better than last week. No game-specific pregame coverage, absolutely no meaningful postgame coverage. (Highlights of a game we just watched for two hours is so unnecessary). Halftime coverage included a feature on a team that wasn't even playing in our game. As I said, I know it's new and they're just getting up and running, but they have a lot to improve on.

Reactions: moogoo and 413Blue
FWIW, watching yesterday live on iPad. Game froze in the 43’. Closed out of app and relaunched - no good. After several attempts at that shut down iPad and restarted and that worked. Lost about 5 minutes of game time.

Reactions: Gene
Yeah, I used my dinosaur of a laptop (2015 Asus) to stream the game and then used an HDMI cord to the tv to watch the game. It kept stuttering through the whole broadcast. Pretty frustrating. I don’t blame apple because the picture was actually really clear. I do appreciate being able to pause the game and pick up where you left off. It was nice when I needed to grab another beer after Chicago scored. I’m going to have to try again next week with my wife’s MacBook and see if that’s better.

Yeah, I used my dinosaur of a laptop (2015 Asus) to stream the game and then used an HDMI cord to the tv to watch the game. It kept stuttering through the whole broadcast. Pretty frustrating. I don’t blame apple because the picture was actually really clear. I do appreciate being able to pause the game and pick up where you left off. It was nice when I needed to grab another beer after Chicago scored. I’m going to have to try again next week with my wife’s MacBook and see if that’s better.

There were absolutely no issues like that watching on my smart TV through the Apple TV app, FWIW. I also have my TV hooked up to wired internet to make sure WiFi issues don't cause problems.

Reactions: JCMore
There were absolutely no issues like that watching on my smart TV through the Apple TV app, FWIW. I also have my TV hooked up to wired internet to make sure WiFi issues don't cause problems.
I’m trying to be calm here but I’m trying to watch yesterdays match on Apple TV/Roku and all I can find is a recap reel. They already screwed me by shoving the score in my face despite all effort to avert my gaze, but I followed the instructions, went to the match, and after 12 seconds it jumps to 20'. I am seething right now. I'm so pissed off I can barely type this. Anyone have any advice? Am i looking in the wrong place? Seriously, WTF. Espn has had this figured out for years!! Help!

I’m trying to be calm here but I’m trying to watch yesterdays match on Apple TV/Roku and all I can find is a recap reel. They already screwed me by shoving the score in my face despite all effort to avert my gaze, but I followed the instructions, went to the match, and after 12 seconds it jumps to 20'. I am seething right now. I'm so pissed off I can barely type this. Anyone have any advice? Am i looking in the wrong place? Seriously, WTF. Espn has had this figured out for years!! Help!
The issue is sorta on me. I didn’t see the “hold for options” instruction on the replay. It’s so small it looks like a copyright notice. I spent an hour with Apple support and they failed to identify this little interface feature/bug. I’m used to the long press on apple devices but this is a strange space for them to impose it on other devices. I don’t know of any other places on in Apple TV apps where there is a “press for options” mechanic. Anyway, a helpful redditor pointed this out and fixed it for me.

With that said: it’s JANKY AF

And FFS apple fix the spoiler issue.

It's there. Buried a little deep, but it's there.

On an Apple TV box:
- Season Pass
- scroll down to Eastern Conference Clubs
- click NYCFC
- scroll to the bottom, to Past Matches
- click on match
- scroll to the bottom (again! LOL) to Season Pass, then click and hold
- choose your version (7 minutes, full match, full match Spanish)

The issue is sorta on me. I didn’t see the “hold for options” instruction on the replay. It’s so small it looks like a copyright notice. I spent an hour with Apple support and they failed to identify this little interface feature/bug. I’m used to the long press on apple devices but this is a strange space for them to impose it on other devices. I don’t know of any other places on in Apple TV apps where there is a “press for options” mechanic. Anyway, a helpful redditor pointed this out and fixed it for me.

With that said: it’s JANKY AF

And FFS apple fix the spoiler issue.
Apple is capable of much better. They’ve really done a poor job with this.

Reactions: Shwafta
Apple is capable of much better. They’ve really done a poor job with this.
It shouldn’t be buried deep. It should be the easiest thing to search. ESPN gets it. Hell, even Paramount Plus gets it. And Apple forcing a long press on other devices is just churlish. The worst thing is that their support guys couldn’t solve the problem.

And those spoilers…

It shouldn’t be buried deep. It should be the easiest thing to search. ESPN gets it. Hell, even Paramount Plus gets it. And Apple forcing a long press on other devices is just churlish. The worst thing is that their support guys couldn’t solve the problem.

And those spoilers…

espn+ is pretty janky for me at times, but it is still better than apple. but they have been doing it longer. They are still learning, but the pace at which they are making the changes it a bit slow for things as simple as interface changes and a "hide scores" option. it aint that hard apple!

Is the audio good with everyone? It feels at times the crowd is louder then the commentators at times. It’s worse on the Spanish side. The home radio feed seems fine though.

Is the audio good with everyone? It feels at times the crowd is louder then the commentators at times. It’s worse on the Spanish side. The home radio feed seems fine though.

seemed fine for me. nashville could hear the crowd but announcers weren't drowned out or anything.

announcers aside I’m already loving this. I’m actually able to watch the games name. I almost never work past 5 on weekends and the games falling on weekends and 7:30 or laters is a blessing. I probably missed half the season last year due to scheduling alone.