MLS and Apple Broadcasting Deal

I have not tested this. For all I know it signs into your bank account and transfers all your money to someone overseas. OTOH maybe it works.

This "apple extension" i's 100% legit.

It's about 11 lines of code that use CSS (webpage styling) and it puts "display: none" (don't display) to the elements that hold the scores, effectively removing them from being displayed. The "Source code" is what code is in there, that's the only thing - so I can vouch as a programmer that this is totally legit :)

...As for "Stylus" itself, I checked the website and did some research, here's the privacy policy: UserStyles.world
seems legit, but depends if you want to go ahead and download it, that's a personal decision. Personally I see no issue here, it's an open source repository so we can see all the code and if there's any "foul play", and it looks community-driven for making fun styles on websites.

Hope this is helpful to anyone else that looks into this!

if you are a bit more savvy, you can also use local overrides through the chrome/firefox dev tools. no need for extensions or plugins.

even though I will go this route, i'd much prefer a native solution from apple/MLS.

Reactions: Shwafta
if you are a bit more savvy, you can also use local overrides through the chrome/firefox dev tools. no need for extensions or plugins.

even though I will go this route, i'd much prefer a native solution from apple/MLS.
Yeah, that's why they provide the css for you to just do it yourself. However some people might just find it easier to install the necessary things and not deal with it themselves heh. (especially if apple updates the classes and then it breaks, where this extension would probably just auto update when the guy fixes it)

point is - if we can do it this easily, apple surely can to LOL (and yeah I know mark, device settings vs account settings whatever. just get it done, i don't care how)

Yeah, that's why they provide the css for you to just do it yourself. However some people might just find it easier to install the necessary things and not deal with it themselves heh. (especially if apple updates the classes and then it breaks, where this extension would probably just auto update when the guy fixes it)

point is - if we can do it this easily, apple surely can to LOL (and yeah I know mark, device settings vs account settings whatever. just get it done, i don't care how)

yea i get that. but as mgarbowski mgarbowski alluded to, some people are also cautious about installing extensions from random people on the internet. so i just provided a safest option. in reality, it's very easy to do and if anyone is interested, I can do a howto video.

apple just needs to get it done already.

This is an Apple(s) to xylophone comparison, And yes, Dolan is his own terrible thing, but MSG just announced details about its streaming package.

$30 monthly or $310 annually for just 5 teams. And this probably does not get you several regular season games on national networks, and probably also not the latter playoff rounds (also on national networks) if they even get that far. Plus how many people care about that odd group of 5 teams. As a casual, I would at most pick it up in Jan/Feb through April May depending on how the Knicks and Rangers are doing. Even die hards can probably subscribe for 9 months and save over the annual "discount" rate.

This is an Apple(s) to xylophone comparison, And yes, Dolan is his own terrible thing, but MSG just announced details about its streaming package.

$30 monthly or $310 annually for just 5 teams. And this probably does not get you several regular season games on national networks, and probably also not the latter playoff rounds (also on national networks) if they even get that far. Plus how many people care about that odd group of 5 teams. As a casual, I would at most pick it up in Jan/Feb through April May depending on how the Knicks and Rangers are doing. Even die hards can probably subscribe for 9 months and save over the annual "discount" rate.

Or you can pay for cable and get it for like $8/month as part of your package deal, where it's $100/month for MSG, ESPN, YES, SNY, and a bunch of other channels. This is the part of cord cutting I don't understand. By the time you buy everything you want to watch, it's cheaper to just have cable.

Reactions: Davo15 and Gene
Or you can pay for cable and get it for like $8/month as part of your package deal, where it's $100/month for MSG, ESPN, YES, SNY, and a bunch of other channels. This is the part of cord cutting I don't understand. By the time you buy everything you want to watch, it's cheaper to just have cable.
You can switch from cable to YTTV and save $80-100 a month. You lose almost every RSN in the country. You still get the other channels.

Reactions: adam and SoupInNYC

for like a year, after a year spectrum starts hitting you with price increases and all the fees that make it very well over 100.

You can switch from cable to YTTV and save $80-100 a month. You lose almost every RSN in the country. You still get the other channels.

Which works for non-sports fans pretty well. But as we're on an internet forum for a sports team, it wouldn't work nearly as well for this crowd. I want my sports teams, which means I have cable.

Reactions: Gene
Which works for non-sports fans pretty well. But as we're on an internet forum for a sports team, it wouldn't work nearly as well for this crowd. I want my sports teams, which means I have cable.
The math is simple. I'm saving >$90 per month with YTTV. If I had to pay for MLS on Apple my monthly cost paid annually is $7. If I pay for a full year of MSG that's $26 per month. I can live without the Yankees, Nets and Mets. I'm way ahead, and as I said above, I actually only want maybe a half season of the MSG content. But say you also need the Yanks or Mets who do not, I believe yet have stream only deals (I'm confident those are coming), but assume they do at $30 a month.
Unless you're that very rare case who has to have both Yankees and Mets that's $30 + $26 +$7 = $63 per month or every local sport you might need and full season access and saving close to $30 every month.
Switching from cable to YTTV and paying a la carte for local sports still saves.
Again, for now you have to forego baseball and the Nets. I do not see that lasting. RSN's are about to die in most cities in the country. MSG, YES and SNY are not among those on death row but I don't see NYC local carriers (or DirecTV or DISH) continuing to pay their exorbitant carry fees times 3 for NYC when they pay $0 in most of the country. YES and SNY will get ahead of this just like MSG has done.

And YTTV's DVR capabilities are incredible.
Last year I had it record every college football game. That's a few dozen games every week. I would usually watch Michigan and maybe parts of a few others that added up to less than a full game. And who cares? The storage is unlimited and the search makes it easy to find the things you want.
You can set it to record every episode of NCIS and all of its spinoffs including all the reruns from 20+ years, plus all the never ending Office reruns on Comedy Central, every Simpsons rerun, plus all of CFB, every NFL game, every Nascar race, golf tournament, Harry Potter, John Wick, Marvel and Star Wars rerun, every MLB game, the nightly news on every channel, every soap opera every day, and more, and never run out of space.
Everything stays available for 9 months after you record it.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Last year I had it record every college football game. That's a few dozen games every week. I would usually watch Michigan and maybe parts of a few others that added up to less than a full game. And who cares? The storage is unlimited and the search makes it easy to find the things you want.
You can set it to record every episode of NCIS and all of its spinoffs including all the reruns from 20+ years, plus all the never ending Office reruns on Comedy Central, every Simpsons rerun, plus all of CFB, every NFL game, every Nascar race, golf tournament, Harry Potter, John Wick, Marvel and Star Wars rerun, every MLB game, the nightly news on every channel, every soap opera every day, and more, and never run out of space.
Everything stays available for 9 months after you record it.
Oh yeah. My friend mentioned she was subscribing to Peacock so she could watch The Office reruns.

I told her that I have every episode available to me in my DVR, organized by season and episode. Have done this with several other shows my wife and I wanted to watch through.

Want to find a particular movie we want to watch? Search for it on YTTV first and it finds it in the future, records it, then we can watch.

Of course it was disappointed when YTTV raised their prices a few times, but still so worth it IMO. Considering the above and also how easy it is to use across multiple devices.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Oh yeah. My friend mentioned she was subscribing to Peacock so she could watch The Office reruns.

I told her that I have every episode available to me in my DVR, organized by season and episode. Have done this with several other shows my wife and I wanted to watch through.

Want to find a particular movie we want to watch? Search for it on YTTV first and it finds it in the future, records it, then we can watch.

Of course it was disappointed when YTTV raised their prices a few times, but still so worth it IMO. Considering the above and also how easy it is to use across multiple devices.

ha - i do this. the only downside is the commercials.

but if they are strictly personal DVR and not VOD, then you can skip them. but again, it can be a pain.

The math is simple. I'm saving >$90 per month with YTTV. If I had to pay for MLS on Apple my monthly cost paid annually is $7. If I pay for a full year of MSG that's $26 per month. I can live without the Yankees, Nets and Mets. I'm way ahead, and as I said above, I actually only want maybe a half season of the MSG content. But say you also need the Yanks or Mets who do not, I believe yet have stream only deals (I'm confident those are coming), but assume they do at $30 a month.
Unless you're that very rare case who has to have both Yankees and Mets that's $30 + $26 +$7 = $63 per month or every local sport you might need and full season access and saving close to $30 every month.
Switching from cable to YTTV and paying a la carte for local sports still saves.
Again, for now you have to forego baseball and the Nets. I do not see that lasting. RSN's are about to die in most cities in the country. MSG, YES and SNY are not among those on death row but I don't see NYC local carriers (or DirecTV or DISH) continuing to pay their exorbitant carry fees times 3 for NYC when they pay $0 in most of the country. YES and SNY will get ahead of this just like MSG has done.
When I went off cable, Optimum told me that it would be cheaper for me to carry a package that included the most basic cable than to just have phone/internet by itself. So that's the package I have. The cable box is sitting in the basement storage room, but that basic cable gets me access to the YES app. Something to look into.

Praise be the Apple lords!!!! Highlights are up on youtube!!!!!
Looks like we're gonna get highlights, just late. That's still good though!

Reactions: Schwallacus

I was going to write “Cheaper to get a cable package and use MSG Go.” Then I realize I pay nearly $220 a month for my cable and TV bill. Spectrum sucks after those promos end.

You could also get the MLB package for $139 per annum/$13 p/m and a VPN. ESPN+ for $10 p/m and a VPN for hockey. NBA league pass $50 per annum/ $4 p/m and a VPN. That’s $27 total per month. Just set your VPN for Seattle or something and choose the local feed. And you get the bonus of all the out of market games too.

They are also to my understanding offering $ 10 per game ppv on this MSG thing which is a good concept but way too expensive IMO. I love NYCFC but I work Saturday afternoons and Saturday nights are by far the most likely night I'm doing anything social and I'm not going to blow off my friends for random regular season matches under the new schedule so being able to pick and choose and just buy the games I am free for would be nice but would have to be at the right price point.

Reactions: mgarbowski
for like a year, after a year spectrum starts hitting you with price increases and all the fees that make it very well over 100.
Until you call them and threaten to cut the cord and they offer you a deal. It’s a pain but it works. That MSG deal is crazy expensive. And it’s not really for five teams. It’s realistically for two: the hockey team and the hoops team that you support, or like me, one, because I don’t follow basketball at all. This deal right here is the tipping point where cable starts to make more sense than cord cutting in a very simple equation.

I was going to write “Cheaper to get a cable package and use MSG Go.” Then I realize I pay nearly $220 a month for my cable and TV bill. Spectrum sucks after those promos end.
Call them and threaten to cut the cord. See what happens and send me half your yearly savings…;-)