MLS and Apple Broadcasting Deal

Even better established services still put out free trials, no real surprise. They had a couple of months to get all of the serious fans to purchase, now they can try to grow the base via trials and all that. If you're a soccer fan, and your trial ends right before the leagues cup....maybe you get the itch!

Yes, but usually at the start of a season, not 3 months in.

it's not a big deal. lots of services have special 1 month trials now and then for no reason. it's just a way to hopefully get more subscribers.

i've been riding paramount+ 30 day trials for over 2 months now! appleTV+ free trials for month 4.. with 2 more months to go. and i've got 3 more months after that to redeem when the time comes. lol.

i wouldn't read into it too much.

As if I couldn't dislike BWP any more than I already do-- he just said he's an Arsenal fan.

Gag Throw Up GIF by Anime Crimes Division

Every indication is that the uniform time slots are being done for stadium attendance and the TV role is simply that having one partner and a subscription model allowed the league to do it. But there's a lot of anecdata suggesting that it is reducing TV viewing by a meaningful amount. Add me to the list for sure.
Of course it does not help that with NYCFC floundering in mediocrity, such that I don't know if I need to worry about the teams near the top or the teams on the bubble.
For me personally it doesn't work out and that's due to a couple of factors.

1) I now have a baby and there's a bed-time routine that is in the evening; couple with
2) I'm now in the central time zone, so nearly every game is kicking off at 6:30, which is right before bed-time routine and when I'm busy cleaning things up, cooking, etc.

Last night I was able to half-watch on my phone while doing all of those things.

For me personally it doesn't work out and that's due to a couple of factors.

1) I now have a baby and there's a bed-time routine that is in the evening; couple with
2) I'm now in the central time zone, so nearly every game is kicking off at 6:30, which is right before bed-time routine and when I'm busy cleaning things up, cooking, etc.

Last night I was able to half-watch on my phone while doing all of those things.
The 7:30 times generally work to make it easy for local fans to watch their local team. You're a somewhat edge case where you support a team in a different zone and even 1 hour can hurt, plus the baby schedule controls everything.
Generally I think this system disrupts watching other games the most, and is worst for east coast fans. Any given game day 60-80% of East conference games are on at the same time, and a handful at most start 1 hour later. When NYCFC is home, all the East Conference games - the ones we care about most - are over by the time fans get home, except for occasional West Coast interconference road games.
We could watch most or all of Mountain and Pacific games, but those are less interesting and who wants to stay up to 12:30 am for games that barely affect NYCFC?

The Western conference is spread across 3 time zones so there is more inherent staggering and they don't have the post midnight problem, mostly.

Last edited:
The 7:30 times generally work to make it easy for local fans to watch their local team. You're a somewhat edge case where you support a team in a different zone and even 1 hour can hurt, plus the baby schedule controls everything.
Generally I think this system disrupts watching other games the most, and is worst for east coast fans. Any given game day 60-80% of East conference games are on at the same time, and a handful at most start 1 hour later. When NYCFC is home, all the East Conference games - the ones we care about most - are over by the time fans get home, except for occasional West Coast interconference road games.
We could watch most or all of Mountain and Pacific games, but those are less interesting and who wants to stay up to 12:30 am for those?

The Western conference is spread across 3 time zones so there is more inherent staggering and they don't have the post midnight problem, mostly.
Oh yeah, I understand that it's one of those things that just doesn't work out for me. Which sucks, but it is what it is.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Oh yeah, I understand that it's one of those things that just doesn't work out for me. Which sucks, but it is what it is.
That's the issue though. There are a lot of people on this forum who have mentioned that it doesn't work out for them - and that means that for 90% of the season, it doesn't work out. There's no exceptions, no alternatives. Except some, but rare.

If i paid for this service then yes i wont be a happy customer with the times. Since i get it "free" with Season Tickets its meh for me. as honestly i dont watch much, if at all, of non- nycfc games.

Reactions: Shwafta
I will say that I mostly reside myself to watching games on replay on my phone the next day. I try to catch them at game time but I would say a majority are on tape delay. I’m glad that the feature works as well as it does.

The Yankees have games at the following times this season:

11:30am, 12:30pm, 1:00pm, 1:30pm, 2:00pm, 2:30pm, 3:00pm, 4:00pm, 6:00pm, 6:30pm, 7:00pm, 7:30pm, 8:00pm, 8:30pm, 9:30pm, 10:00pm

If MLB teams can have 16 different start times over a 162-game season, surely MLS teams can have games start at varying times and at varying days of the week throughout the season. Surely some afternoon games -- and some Sunday games -- would help attendance, and keep fans more engaged than having every game starting at the same time and having no chance to watch any other games around the league.

This whole Apple thing was not thought through, but this is probably the silliest thing. We are paying (or being given for free) a way to watch every MLS game, but then we can't actually watch any games because they all start at the same time. It's so silly and self-defeating.

The Yankees have games at the following times this season:

11:30am, 12:30pm, 1:00pm, 1:30pm, 2:00pm, 2:30pm, 3:00pm, 4:00pm, 6:00pm, 6:30pm, 7:00pm, 7:30pm, 8:00pm, 8:30pm, 9:30pm, 10:00pm

If MLB teams can have 16 different start times over a 162-game season, surely MLS teams can have games start at varying times and at varying days of the week throughout the season. Surely some afternoon games -- and some Sunday games -- would help attendance, and keep fans more engaged than having every game starting at the same time and having no chance to watch any other games around the league.

This whole Apple thing was not thought through, but this is probably the silliest thing. We are paying (or being given for free) a way to watch every MLS game, but then we can't actually watch any games because they all start at the same time. It's so silly and self-defeating.
I think MLS 360 was a huge talking point when deciding to do most 7:30, 8:30, 9:30 start times (east coast). The execs probably thought it was going to be huge kinda like an nfl red zone. But I don’t think enough people watch MLS to warrant MLS 360. So I’m sure we are all left scratching our heads and wringing our hands because of this decision. And the Execs are also doing the same things because they don’t understand why there aren’t more casual fans watching the 360 programming

Last edited:
I think MLS 360 was a huge talking point when deciding to do most 7:30, 8:30, 9:30 start times (east coast). The execs probably thought it was going to be huge kinda like an nfl red zone. But I don’t think enough people watch MLS to warrant MLS 360. So I’m sure we are all left scratching our heads and wringing our hands because of this decision. And the Execs are also doing the same things because they don’t understand why there aren’t more casual fans watch the 360 programming

i am not gonna lie, i only watched it twice. since usually i prefer hopping around other games instead. i do wonder how many people are actually watching it. Pre and post match shows are fine though to get interviews and maybe press conferences.

i am not gonna lie, i only watched it twice. since usually i prefer hopping around other games instead. i do wonder how many people are actually watching it. Pre and post match shows are fine though to get interviews and maybe press conferences.
360 would be great if it was just.... a regular multicast. during UCL/EL/ECL i was the multicasts and they're awesome. just do that.

There was a time where the NFL provided free Red Zone Mobile to its STH, then blocks said Red Zone broadcast while at the stadium. They might have resolved it now, but it was blocked for the first few years. There were many games at the Meadowlands where both Jets and Giants fans bases rather watch the Red Zone then the what the game they actually paid for. A lot of broadcast deals are discombulated at the beginning. Give a year or two and they will figure it out, that they will probably need to give time slots for the fans both to attend and to watch on TV.

Heck look at the Jets offering to be the team that hosts every Black Friday. Clearly the Jets are not thinking things through. It seems likely the first half might be poorly attended Black Friday game with their fans fighting the Paramus Mall traffic on 17 to get to a 3 pm game, even with the gates parking lot open at 10am.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I think MLS 360 was a huge talking point when deciding to do most 7:30, 8:30, 9:30 start times (east coast). The execs probably thought it was going to be huge kinda like an nfl red zone. But I don’t think enough people watch MLS to warrant MLS 360. So I’m sure we are all left scratching our heads and wringing our hands because of this decision. And the Execs are also doing the same things because they don’t understand why there aren’t more casual fans watching the 360 programming
Also the game times undermine MLS 360, again especially on the East Coast. I turn NYCFC games on at 7:30. They start 7:40. At 8:25-8:30 we go to halftime, as do a half dozen other games. And the 8:30 games don't start until 8:40, so 360 has no live game action, and I just keep it on the NYCFC game. Next the NYCFC game ends somewhere around 9:20-9:40. Then I'm either traveling home from the game or if home, taking 20-30 minutes to digest either the joy or the crap sandwich before I'm ready for anything else, and then it's late and I only have west conference games. I'm not staying up to watch 360 whip around west conference games.

Reactions: ZYanksRule

Right, but our games start at 7:30, as do like 9 other games most nights. By the time our game is over, the vast majority of the league is over, too. Maybe there's 3-4 games left that are still going, but usually the craziness is during our window.

If we play at 8:30, I'm probably more likely to watch the first half of the 7:30 games on 360, but if all the games are on at the same time, I'm watching my game. And when my game is over, I'm not looking to stick with MLS for another two hours, I'm more likely to get on with the rest of my evening.

As I said, the entire thing is just poorly thought out.

Reactions: Gene and 413Blue