MLS and Apple Broadcasting Deal

So our episode of the Ritual was a reedited version of this.

It's early, but I'm not feeling good about our commitments to making inhouse content.

According to Bloomberg, Apple will not accept gambling advertisers.

Some other interesting stuff, but nothing worth subscribing for.
I got the perfect thread for you to post that in. Sadly, bots forced us to change the title so I can’t find it anymore.

Just received the link. Any idea how to redeem on a smarttv with Apple TV not an Apple TV? Won’t let me redeem on phone because haven’t uploaded iOS 16.2 yet.

Reactions: Victors87
Very easy sign-up on my Mac.

Just received the link. Any idea how to redeem on a smarttv with Apple TV not an Apple TV? Won’t let me redeem on phone because haven’t uploaded iOS 16.2 yet.
You have an AppleTV app on your TV? That sounds tough because the email just has a special link, and no code to input, and I don't know how you activate that way on a TV.
If your iPhone is not working for the reason you stated, I suggest trying to sign up on a desktop or laptop. Even if it's not a mac, I'm guessing the link will take you to Apple TV+ and then activate the free sub. I would probably sign in to Apple TV at that web address using the id you use for Apple (ie the AppleID credentials one on your iPhone) before clicking to hopefully make it more seamless.

For anyone who doesn't have an APple ID yet, I would expect it to work the same way but they will have you create an apple ID and password during the process.
All of this is educated guessing from general familiarity with how Apple handles sign-ins across all Apple services and devices.

Reactions: JayH
Very easy sign-up on my Mac.

You have an AppleTV app on your TV? That sounds tough because the email just has a special link, and no code to input, and I don't know how you activate that way on a TV.
If your iPhone is not working for the reason you stated, I suggest trying to sign up on a desktop or laptop. Even if it's not a mac, I'm guessing the link will take you to Apple TV+ and then activate the free sub. I would probably sign in to Apple TV at that web address using the id you use for Apple (ie the AppleID credentials one on your iPhone) before clicking to hopefully make it more seamless.

For anyone who doesn't have an APple ID yet, I would expect it to work the same way but they will have you create an apple ID and password during the process.
All of this is educated guessing from general familiarity with how Apple handles sign-ins across all Apple services and devices.
Thanks. Strange all around as doesn’t work on my computer, and my iPhone 13 says that I have the latest update 16.1.1 and no further updates are even available. Just may have to buy it on my tv. Hopefully the talk of a deadline to purchase isn’t accurate.

Thanks. Strange all around as doesn’t work on my computer, and my iPhone 13 says that I have the latest update 16.1.1 and no further updates are even available. Just may have to buy it on my tv. Hopefully the talk of a deadline to purchase isn’t accurate.

Sounds like you need to try a different computer or device. what's this deadline to purchase? i don't recall seeing that...

I have an iPhone 12, I'm running iOS 16.2, and when I navigated to Software Update it refreshed to show 16.3 is available. Your 13 should definitely be able to get 16.2. Did you check the Software Update section in settings?
what's this deadline to purchase? i don't recall seeing that...
There is boilerplate "limited time offer" language in the email. I don't know if Jay is referring to something else.

Reactions: JayH
FWIW, the subscription is shareable to members of your apple family, so there should be some way to pool resources here...

Reactions: Shwafta and JCMore
FWIW, the subscription is shareable to members of your apple family, so there should be some way to pool resources here...
Do we know if there's any catches to making an apple family share thing? like can you restrict access to ONLY mls content? I don't necessarily want everyone seeing my itunes purchases etc (or having others' purchases populated into mine) as well as potential leaving the family share in the future?

I was looking into it a bit before and it's kinda vague tbh

Reactions: Joe_Cos
I have an iPhone 12, I'm running iOS 16.2, and when I navigated to Software Update it refreshed to show 16.3 is available. Your 13 should definitely be able to get 16.2. Did you check the Software Update section in settings?

There is boilerplate "limited time offer" language in the email. I don't know if Jay is referring to something else.
Thanks MG. Sorry by deadline I was just referring to some that Twitter talk about missing the first month of games if you don’t buy it by a certain date (which in any event didn’t make sense and was likely false).

Reactions: moogoo
Do we know if there's any catches to making an apple family share thing? like can you restrict access to ONLY mls content? I don't necessarily want everyone seeing my itunes purchases etc (or having others' purchases populated into mine) as well as potential leaving the family share in the future?

You can share the subscription, but it might be limited to those that you have in your Family ID. For me, it was automatically shared with my wife & kids.

Reactions: Shwafta

This is a good point. Apple Family Sharing is generally all in or all out. I would be surprised if there is an carve out for MLS TV. If you put someone on your family sharing they get to see any movies, or tv shows you bought at apple, they can listen to your music, very often they have access to desktop and iOS apps you bought, if you buy storage they get to share it (though each user gets private separate folders). I think there is some way to hide certain media purchases, and they have to account for parents who buy R rated movies and don't want their kids watching it. But it's been a while since I needed to keep things unavailable from my kids and I haven't looked at the mechanism for hiding individual movies in a while.
The way some people are suggesting that you can just share the MLS sub with 5 friends is nowhere near that simple, except maybe if everybody in the circle has basically no other involvement in the Apple ecosystem and the MLS sub is all that there to be shared.
Again, this assumes there is no carve out for MLS, but I would be very surprised if it is carved out.

This is a good point. Apple Family Sharing is generally all in or all out. I would be surprised if there is an carve out for MLS TV. If you put someone on your family sharing they get to see any movies, or tv shows you bought at apple, they can listen to your music, very often they have access to desktop and iOS apps you bought, if you buy storage they get to share it (though each user gets private separate folders). I think there is some way to hide certain media purchases, and they have to account for parents who buy R rated movies and don't want their kids watching it. But it's been a while since I needed to keep things unavailable from my kids and I haven't looked at the mechanism for hiding individual movies in a while.
The way some people are suggesting that you can just share the MLS sub with 5 friends is nowhere near that simple, except maybe if everybody in the circle has basically no other involvement in the Apple ecosystem and the MLS sub is all that there to be shared.
Again, this assumes there is no carve out for MLS, but I would be very surprised if it is carved out.

easiest solution if you don't want want to worry about sharing your apple ecosystem purchased content, is to simply create an apple ID strictly for MLS watching.

as you said, family sharing shares all the content among all the members but it doesn't effect your personal profile for recommendations, history, etc. you still have a separate apple ID and you still have personalized profile for your media consumption.

easiest solution if you don't want want to worry about sharing your apple ecosystem purchased content, is to simply create an apple ID strictly for MLS watching.

as you said, family sharing shares all the content among all the members but it doesn't effect your personal profile for recommendations, history, etc. you still have a separate apple ID and you still have personalized profile for your media consumption.
Yes, but that's more than a bit clunky as it requires logging out of your primary ID which makes all your other content and services disappear. It's all but impossible on a phone or iPad, as you would lose all your apps and would have to download them again when you go back to your main account. Then you might even have to sign in to all your other accounts as well, such as banks, netflix, amazon, whatever.
In sum, Apple is generous about letting people in a family sharing plan use all of the resources any family member pays for, but the flipside is Apple makes it very daunting and difficult to share with casuals.

• Wow
Yes, but that's more than a bit clunky as it requires logging out of your primary ID which makes all your other content and services disappear. It's all but impossible on a phone or iPad, as you would lose all your apps and would have to download them again when you go back to your main account. Then you might even have to sign in to all your other accounts as well, such as banks, netflix, amazon, whatever.
In sum, Apple is generous about letting people in a family sharing plan use all of the resources any family member pays for, but the flipside is Apple makes it very daunting and difficult to share with casuals.

Depends on the device, I think. I don't use a lot of apple stuff at all so I'm not sure strictly they track logins and such. My thinking is, since Apple TV is web based and doesn't require an app on phones and computers, you can use an incognito tab to log in with the separate, MLS watching only ID,. This shouldn't effect your primary ID login that's cached, cookied, and all that fun stuff on the main browser. Once the incognito tab is gone, credentials are gone too. For those watching on TV, you can cast your browser to the TV using your casting tech of choice.

This should work on the phone as well, although i don't think you can cast your browser from the phone to TV, without doing a full screen cast, which usually has a bit of a delay and requires you to keep your phone on.

THIS is just my theory, but I think it would work.

Depends on the device, I think. I don't use a lot of apple stuff at all so I'm not sure strictly they track logins and such. My thinking is, since Apple TV is web based and doesn't require an app on phones and computers, you can use an incognito tab to log in with the separate, MLS watching only ID,. This shouldn't effect your primary ID login that's cached, cookied, and all that fun stuff on the main browser. Once the incognito tab is gone, credentials are gone too. For those watching on TV, you can cast your browser to the TV using your casting tech of choice.

This should work on the phone as well, although i don't think you can cast your browser from the phone to TV, without doing a full screen cast, which usually has a bit of a delay and requires you to keep your phone on.

THIS is just my theory, but I think it would work.
It won't work on Apple devices, and probably isn't an issue on non-Apple devices.

If you try to access web based AppleTV on an iPhone or iPad it just opens the TV app on the phone, which borrows your phone's apple ID credentials. You would have to sign out of your ID on the phone altogether as I noted above. There's no web browser on an AppleTV device and if there is some way to access the web I'm 99.999% certain it blocks you from accessing AppleTV+ on the web with separate credentials instead of just using the native AppleTV+ access which is the centerpiece of the device.

You can access the web based AppleTV service on a Mac, and maybe then cast to your Apple TV or other devices, but jeez, if one can afford to own an Apple TV and a Mac and presumably a decent TV and then choose to juggle multiple devices to cast soccer to save ~$60 annually on a shared MLSTV subscription - well, you do you but that makes no sense to me. A major reason to pay more for all Apple hardware is they work together reasonably seamlessly. If you pay that premium then kludge things up to save not all that much (and much less than the extra cost of a mac computer over say a Dell, or an Apple TV over a Firestick), why did you spend the extra in the first place?

On non-apple hardware you can play the game, because no non-Apple device is going to make you use a general Apple ID to use for all Apple purposes on that device. But then that user probably doesn't pay for iCloud storage, or Apple fitness, or an AppleMusic subscription, or buy a ton of content from Apple, etc., and so the issue is moot anyway.

Reactions: moogoo
It won't work on Apple devices, and probably isn't an issue on non-Apple devices.

If you try to access web based AppleTV on an iPhone or iPad it just opens the TV app on the phone, which borrows your phone's apple ID credentials. You would have to sign out of your ID on the phone altogether as I noted above. There's no web browser on an AppleTV device and if there is some way to access the web I'm 99.999% certain it blocks you from accessing AppleTV+ on the web with separate credentials instead of just using the native AppleTV+ access which is the centerpiece of the device.

You can access the web based AppleTV service on a Mac, and maybe then cast to your Apple TV or other devices, but jeez, if one can afford to own an Apple TV and a Mac and presumably a decent TV and then choose to juggle multiple devices to cast soccer to save ~$60 annually on a shared MLSTV subscription - well, you do you but that makes no sense to me. A major reason to pay more for all Apple hardware is they work together reasonably seamlessly. If you pay that premium then kludge things up to save not all that much (and much less than the extra cost of a mac computer over say a Dell, or an Apple TV over a Firestick), why did you spend the extra in the first place?

On non-apple hardware you can play the game, because no non-Apple device is going to make you use a general Apple ID to use for all Apple purposes on that device. But then that user probably doesn't pay for iCloud storage, or Apple fitness, or an AppleMusic subscription, or buy a ton of content from Apple, etc., and so the issue is moot anyway.
I log into apple id just for itunes on my windows device - I don't remember how it worked when i watched tedd lasso, but i know i logged in with that same apple id. I wonder what would happen if i just logged into the website on a different device, I'll test it tonight and let y'all know