MLS - August 28 - New England (Home)

ronny did confirm in the post presser that thiago and isi are injured. why they weren't on the injury sheet is confusing. i guess the injury wasn't serious enough to report? let's hope so.

Reactions: Kjbert
ronny did confirm in the post presser that thiago and isi are injured. why they weren't on the injury sheet is confusing. i guess the injury wasn't serious enough to report? let's hope so.
The injury report is a joke. Zelalem wasn't listed on it all season and then they announced that he would all of a sudden be available after returning from an injury.

Reactions: Kjbert and moogoo
I believe we gave up zero shots on goal.

Also I'd recommend go read ne fans reactions to the game, it's like 90% shitty field excuses which is hilarious because ne has one of the best records at Yankee stadium but we'll just casually ignore that
Link? Please!!!

salty fans have nothing else to complain about.

can't wait to beat them on their fake grass turf field so they can complain about that too.

These stats are completely wrong.

They play on plastic. 35 miles from downtown. For rich owners who haven’t been bothered to spend a dime on talent for most of the 25 years they have spent waiting on a stadium, and whose most fan-focused act of their first ten years was to Prohibit sales of the Revs fanzine in the parking lot. Even right now the YS atmosphere is better than that morgue in Foxboro.
Second fiddle to Man City > second fiddle to the Patriots.

They play on plastic. 35 miles from downtown. For rich owners who haven’t been bothered to spend a dime on talent for most of the 25 years they have spent waiting on a stadium, and whose most fan-focused act of their first ten years was to Prohibit sales of the Revs fanzine in the parking lot. Even right now the YS atmosphere is better than that morgue in Foxboro.
Second fiddle to Man City > second fiddle to the Patriots.

they signed bou and gil. i'd say that's pretty good. but yea... much longer without a stadium. they have no grounds to bitch.

Lol.
Someone posted the DeGrozz DeGrozz post about Turner in r/newenglandrevolution.

The very first comment is "Very nice of him, It’s no surprise that NY won yesterday considering we were missing our two best players."
Bloody hell these Massholes can't even accept a compliment graciously.

It would be a shame if anyone here who's on reddit downvoted him.

Reactions: mgarbowski

I've seen this quote in a few places and seen it noted that the "more points" part is nonsensical. But I've yet to see anyone try to explain it based on context. He probably meant either score more goals against the Revs or pick up more points in previous games. I wonder which it is.

I've seen this quote in a few places and seen it noted that the "more points" part is nonsensical. But I've yet to see anyone try to explain it based on context. He probably meant either score more goals against the Revs or pick up more points in previous games. I wonder which it is.
I'm under the impression he was referring to getting more points from previous games where we played well.

There's the chance that he was referring to MLS rule 38.b.12.3.a-10.2, which states;

"If a team scores exactly three (3) goals, in a single game, on the golden glove winner of the CONCACAF Gold Cup, and the result is within 1 month of the tournament's final game, they shall be awarded four (4) points if the final result is a victory, or two (2) if the final result is a draw."**

**This is 100% a sham.

Pretty sure he means in previous games. Because had we picked up more points in previous games, this "important victory" would have become "crucial victory" in the race for 1st in the east.

However, we didn't win those and thus we are where we are now. If we win out, we'd be on 40 points and jump to 2nd in the east and 3rd in the supporter shield race, having won the tie breaker with SKC. The only other team right now that's ahead of us is Colorado as if they win both they'll be on 44. (dafuq is happening over there in Colorado! Good job to them!)

Our next two games combined with this game are probably the most important three games of the season, rivalry games aside. Nashville and NE twice. We play Nashville again later but winning this one would jump us two points ahead of them with a game in hand. With that in mind, this is the rest of our season (underlined is a team currently below the playoff line):

1630329759894.png

That's 9/14 games. There is no reason why we can't pull off most, if not all of those victories. Especially with Taty in the form he is right now, and especially if Heber comes back to support the number 9 position.

Get the 6 points and we're in a very good position for the rest of the season. NE plays orlando twice, colorado, nycfc, montreal, dc, philly, and columbus. (and chicago twice and miami once, but those should be free points)

Our next two games combined with this game are probably the most important three games of the season, rivalry games aside. Nashville and NE twice. We play Nashville again later but winning this one would jump us two points ahead of them with a game in hand.
The math for catching New England is near impossible, unless they slump in a really exceptional way. Revs can go just 4-4-3 and still have 64 points, which is probably our reasonable best hope, absent a ridiculous hot streak.

Nashville has only 4 home games left (8 Away) and I doubt they can keep pace with us.
Orlando has Away games at ATL, NER, NAS, PHI, CLB, and MTL (plus CIN).
Our Away is similarly ATL, NER, NAS, (and CIN), and also RBx2, CHI and MIA. Much easier.

So for me the bottom line is - though not getting 3-4 points in the next 2 would disappoint - I don't think they matter in terms of finishing #2 in the East. Seattle and SKC are reasonable stretch goals. There, if we get 16 of 18 points at home, and 14 of 24 Away (say 4-2-2), that's 30 more and 64 total points, and probably (IMO) better than SEA and SKC. This does not require beating Nashville or the Revs. Win 4 of ATL, RB, RB, CIN, CHI and MIA plus 2 ties combined against the other 2 or from NAS and NER. That's doable. It means becoming a very good road team again, but we don't have to start in our next 2 toughest remaining games.

ETA: Get 4 or somehow 6 from the next 2 and you can start to dream, but even then catching the Revs is tough.

Last edited:
For reference and comparison. In 2019 NYCFC finished with 29 points in the final 14. I believe the club best 14 game run was slightly earlier, games 14 thru 27 in 2019 where they won 30 points. But that included 8H and 6A, while now we have the reverse.

Reactions: canchon and Kjbert
Ronny did mention in his post game press conf that we should have scored more goals. so it could have been a reference to that but use of "points" instead of "goals". but who knows.

i still have faith the revs will falter and that we will stay perfect.