Mls CBA 2015 Thread

That would be the worst, most cancerous thing possible at the start of this season. Yes cancer would not be too strong a term for it. It would be bad enough if it happened in the future never mind now. Really could anyone think of something more disastrous anything else that has happened so far would pale in comparison. Obviously its not something people seem too worried about but not much we could do if it happened. That's why all the focus should be on pre season. Hopefully this is the last I'll have to say on this subject.

Not even getting into the logistical stadium nightmare it would bring.
I think there is a strong chance we lose the whole season. I think players will take this to court if they strike

Reactions: Kjbert
Does free agency actually help us? I think it helps the NYCFCs of the world.

I'm new to MLS, can someone explain what players do once their contract is up if there's no free agency? How do they sign a new deal?

I'm new to MLS, can someone explain what players do once their contract is up if there's no free agency? How do they sign a new deal?
They accept whatever their team offers to stay, if not they go into a reentry draft where another team can pick them, they accept that offer, or they go to another league

Reactions: Drainyoo and Kjbert
Well they can only go into a league re-entry draft if they have played in the league a certain amount of years and are a certain age.

So what happens to a lot of players is even though their contract is up, they have to convince another MLS team to trade something to their previous club to get them. Hence no free agency.

Reactions: Drainyoo
They accept whatever their team offers to stay, if not they go into a reentry draft where another team can pick them, they accept that offer, or they go to another league

Well they can only go into a league re-entry draft if they have played in the league a certain amount of years and are a certain age.

So what happens to a lot of players is even though their contract is up, they have to convince another MLS team to trade something to their previous club to get them. Hence no free agency.

Thanks Gents. Now I understand why the players want free agency so bad. This current system just screws them over.

Reactions: franchise646
I don't like to Double post but this is a way to make Free agency in Single Entity, by American Soccer Now. It talks about taking the University of California system.

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/mls-could-retain-single-entity-amp-offer-free-agency

Gyasi Zardes of the Los Angeles Galaxy is certainly a hot commodity after his display for the U.S. national display against Panama. According to the MLS Players’ Union data, he played in 2014 with a base salary of $125,000 and total guaranteed compensation of $198,000. Not chicken feed by any means for a 23-year-old, but it wouldn’t be surprising if another MLS team—say, the San Jose Earthquakes—would be willing to pay him more. Under the UC System, San Jose could offer him total guaranteed compensation of $213,840—a raise of 8% or $15,840—and the L.A. Galaxy could match that.

MLS and the Players’ Union could agree to a higher maximum percentage for salary raises offered in intra-league transfers—perhaps 20%, or $39,600 in Zardes’ case—but in either case it wouldn’t permit a bidding spiral that would jack up player costs leaguewide. San Jose could try to lure away Zardes with promises of a more prominent role on and off the field or a training environment more conducive to his development, but the offer of a raise probably wouldn’t be sufficient motivation on its own to induce Zardes to relocate. Nevertheless, the system would allow Zardes the opportunity to choose where he wanted to play at the end of his contract and the offer would generate a raise for him, which would provide at least some form of market-based mechanism for rewarding players.

If, however, Fulham came calling and offered £250,000, or roughly $380,775, in total compensation, then San Jose could up its offer to match or beat Fulham’s and the Galaxy could match that. If a bidding war developed at that point, it would be between MLS and Fulham, and not between San Jose and LA.

This single-entity version of free agency could be attractive to both MLS’s investor-operators and to players. It prevents one deep-pocketed investor-operator from driving up everyone’s costs by starting to offer extravagant salaries to pedestrian players. At the same time, it allows players to move freely and to get fair market value for their services—but in a manner that is consistent with the principles of a single-entity structure.

Read this earlier and came here to post it - sounds like a great compromise to me

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited: