Mls CBA 2015 Thread

I saw the average salary in the championship division in england was like 400k or something. I think getting to that level, to get ream and hyndman and lichaj, might be for the next CBA

Reactions: Kjbert
K Kjbert we are almost on the same page but one way to curbs that is developing those talents here. And we also need the Dual passport Americans.

I agree. Let's develop those talents here. But that's a process with the Academies. We don't have enough Academy signings. Still too many drafted guys who aren't that kid. But we should want to keep the Yedlins of the world here, if that's what you mean. We agree.

Well given that a lot of those kids are going to Europe because they are making more money in European d.2 than here and the league need to change that. Part of the reason MLS' partnership with usl pro is a big deal and needs to be addressed.

We agree. I love USL and the second teams. Pay the kids to develop here.

I agree. Let's develop those talents here. But that's a process with the Academies. We don't have enough Academy signings. Still too many drafted guys who aren't that kid. But we should want to keep the Yedlins of the world here, if that's what you mean. We agree.
I don't know, there have a been a ton of homegrown signings in the last few years, I bet it rivals the SuperDraft picks now (well except for dumb teams like SJ that have no academy). Many of those homegrowns have been wash-outs.

So how do we feel about this right now? MLS has always limited the growth of the league in hopes that spending doesn't get out of control and the league remains profitable. Would free agency, or any of these other issues negate those efforts? is the league ready to lift spending barriers?

I also have no idea what I'm talking about so I'm hoping to get a good synopsis here.

Personally I think that the owners still have the upper-hand. If PU strikes it won't be for long. The billionaires that own this league could survive. I am not sure the players could.

Hopefully no strike but a more free-er free agency. Come on MLS, don't have a work stoppage!

Personally I think that the owners still have the upper-hand. If PU strikes it won't be for long. The billionaires that own this league could survive. I am not sure the players could.

Hopefully no strike but a more free-er free agency. Come on MLS, don't have a work stoppage!

The players making the league minimum can barely survive now, especially in the NYC metro area. That will hurt the union in a work stoppage situation because the guys at the bottom cannot holdout too long. Hopefully, the guys at the top (the Bradleys, Dempseys, etc.) will help out the league minimum earners if there's a work stoppage.

This is kinda on point with what we were talking about,

http://quakesepicenter.com/2015/01/25/mls-fans-should-be-aware-of-wages-issue/

That’s right – there are several players in the MLS that are slated to make roughly $36,500 next season, which is significantly less than what most plumbers make. And he will still be making around 60 times more than the rest of his teammates. If the MLS wants young American athletes to consider the possibility of playing soccer in the US as a serious option, they are definitely going to address this pay issue. To give you some persspective: the average NFL starting kicker makes around 1.4 million a year. Most kickers play 16 games in a season, and come into the game to kick the ball 7 or 8 times a game with virtually no risk of injury.

The MLS players that are making $100,000 or under are not just players that sit on the reserve squad either. In 2010, current USMNT striker Chris Wondolowski was making only $48,000. What if Wondo walked away from the game? The MLS would be without a one time MVP, two time golden boot winner, and a 2013 Gold Cup top goal scorer. Just last year, LA Galaxy defender, who helped the Galaxy to a MLS Cup, Dan Gargan was making roughly the same amount. The list goes on and on. The MLS needs to address this issue in the upcoming CBA, and MLS fans should stand with the players union on this topic.

Chris Wondolowski and Dan Gargan are only making $48k, that is pathetic.

Reactions: BxLio91
This is kinda on point with what we were talking about,

http://quakesepicenter.com/2015/01/25/mls-fans-should-be-aware-of-wages-issue/

Chris Wondolowski and Dan Gargan are only making $48k, that is pathetic.
That is really insane, must be hard to keep players in the league when they can go anywhere else and play for more. And hard for players who might not have a guaranteed career taking a chance from college when they know most college degrees pay more and have more security.

Reactions: MagnusPax
The massive inequality we have top to bottom is a substantial detriment to the league. We are holding ourselves back with that massive inequality and it has to be corrected. Over what period of time it is corrected [can be debated], but no one should be under any allusions we have a chance of getting where we want to get unless we correct it.

I think this is a really important nugget that really backs the owners into the corner. If the players are willing to put in a timetable for gradual improvement, maybe even gradual implementation of FA, the owners can't stand on their "league isn't mature enough" leg.