Mls CBA 2015 Thread

Players and League are settling the Small stuff today here in New York, to move on to the two main issues at a later date. The two Main issues being the Salary structure and Free Agency

Reactions: Kjbert
Quick aside: If this set of CBA negotiations took place two years ago, this might be a Cosmo's supporters forum. Something to think about.

Why do you say that?

Maybe pure spin, but it seems to have played a big part in why Cosmos choose/were forced into NASL instead of MLS: http://www.empireofsoccer.com/cosmos-chairman-discusses-30765/

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/03/s...-return-to-the-field.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

At first it appeared that O’Brien and the Cosmos had designs on becoming the 20th team in M.L.S. and second in the New York metropolitan area, after the Red Bulls. But those expectations did not come to fruition, partly because the Cosmos rejected the M.L.S. single-entity system and were loath to relinquish the marketing rights to their well-known name and logo.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Here is my wishful thinking prediction. A deal will be struck in the 12th hour. The league will overcompensate with larger than expected increases in the player minimum and salary caps, arguably the second and third most important issues. More critically, the league will make a reasonable, yet not game-changing concession on the free agency issue. What it is will depend on what the league's lawyers think will be a tangible give but not a factor that will tip the balance in favor of a successful hypothetical antitrust suit. I'm not sure whether that will be some form of rights based upon tenure, caps, or allowing a player with an expiring contract to nominate/strike certain teams, or something we would not even think of. It probably won't be enough to make the players happy, but enough for them to be able to choose not to strike and call it a step in the right direction for the next expiration negotiation. The players could claim victory on several fronts (even though not necessarily the case), and would not lose the leverage to move further on free agency the next time around.

Here is my wishful thinking prediction. A deal will be struck in the 12th hour. The league will overcompensate with larger than expected increases in the player minimum and salary caps, arguably the second and third most important issues. More critically, the league will make a reasonable, yet not game-changing concession on the free agency issue. What it is will depend on what the league's lawyers think will be a tangible give but not a factor that will tip the balance in favor of a successful hypothetical antitrust suit. I'm not sure whether that will be some form of rights based upon tenure, caps, or allowing a player with an expiring contract to nominate/strike certain teams, or something we would not even think of. It probably won't be enough to make the players happy, but enough for them to be able to choose not to strike and call it a step in the right direction for the next expiration negotiation. The players could claim victory on several fronts (even though not necessarily the case), and would not lose the leverage to move further on free agency the next time around.
This makes a lot of sense; whether the sides will see to it is TBD.

So the response, from the few leaks related to the owners, to free agency, seems to be that they don't want it so that they can have cost certainty. Seems to me, and everyone I have read, that it has nothing to do with cost certainty, since a salary cap, which no one is contesting, gives you cost certainty.

WRT cost certainty: Teams are spending crazy money on DPs, who are outside of that "cost certainty" system, the salary cap. So, as it is when I fight with my wife, when one party of an argument makes claims that make no logical sense, there is usually something deeper driving the argument.

The question is: what is the deeper issue the owners are protecting themselves from by opposing free agency?

Is it the single entity system? In that case, do they want it for protection from an antitrust lawsuit? Who is going to sue them? The players can't, since they have a CBA and a union who just said they accept the single entity structure. Are they worried about a legal challenge from NASL? Thats the thing I have been leaning towards, but on what grounds can NASL sue MLS for antitrust?

Could it be that the lack of free agency helps prop up the poorer and more poorly run teams? Like cheapo NE getting Jermaine Jones? He likely wouldn't have gone anywhere near NE if he had other teams bidding for him. In that case, how can the majority of owners who are willing to invest in their teams want that to continue?

On the surface, it is such a minor concession by owners to the players to give free agency, that their willingness to sustain a strike to prevent it makes no logical sense. Like my wife, and there is no winning with her, so we may be in for a long fight.

Reactions: Kubah and SayWhat44
So the response, from the few leaks related to the owners, to free agency, seems to be that they don't want it so that they can have cost certainty. Seems to me, and everyone I have read, that it has nothing to do with cost certainty, since a salary cap, which no one is contesting, gives you cost certainty.

WRT cost certainty: Teams are spending crazy money on DPs, who are outside of that "cost certainty" system, the salary cap. So, as it is when I fight with my wife, when one party of an argument makes claims that make no logical sense, there is usually something deeper driving the argument.

The question is: what is the deeper issue the owners are protecting themselves from by opposing free agency?

Is it the single entity system? In that case, do they want it for protection from an antitrust lawsuit? Who is going to sue them? The players can't, since they have a CBA and a union who just said they accept the single entity structure. Are they worried about a legal challenge from NASL? Thats the thing I have been leaning towards, but on what grounds can NASL sue MLS for antitrust?

Could it be that the lack of free agency helps prop up the poorer and more poorly run teams? Like cheapo NE getting Jermaine Jones? He likely wouldn't have gone anywhere near NE if he had other teams bidding for him. In that case, how can the majority of owners who are willing to invest in their teams want that to continue?

On the surface, it is such a minor concession by owners to the players to give free agency, that their willingness to sustain a strike to prevent it makes no logical sense. Like my wife, and there is no winning with her, so we may be in for a long fight.

First to be clear who makes claims that make no logical sense? You or your wife?

More importantly the players could sue. It is a matter of future litigation. The Union could agree to disband and then sue the league with an antitrust lawsuit. The players would have all of the power in the next CBA negotiations. The MLS wouldn't be able to argue that the teams don't operate separately but as 1 voice.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
great post by T Tom in Fairfield CT - A single entity system can't have competition. It skirts Antitrust laws. By having the facade of Single Entity, they keep the Antitrust in place.

If the NASL was to bring suit, then trouble starts. MLS is stuck between a rock and a hard place. They would give away the farm, salary wise, before they touched single entity.

Unlike the NBA, NFL, NHL and NBA, MLS does have direct competition in the form of the NASL. Say what you want about the size of the league, it is more of a competitor to the MLS system than Independent League baseball or the Continental Basketball Association.

There is no lawsuit coming from NASL it makes no sense that league is around and prospering. Obviously not an antitrust case. NASL has everything available to them to be a league and make money. A antitrust case would only come from the players saying they don't have a fair chance to receive compensation because of collusion of the owners to keep salaries down.