MLS Cup Playoffs - December 5 - Philadelphia (Away)

which says to them that if they had their full roster, they'd have smoked us. Considering how they played, they probably would have.
Agree with your post in general. But the "they probably would have" piece is interesting to think about. I actually think we would have played better against their stronger 11. First there was the huge mental switch of transitioning from underdog to massive favorite. That hurts more than it helps. And even strong minds sometimes readjust to a weaker opponent. And on the tactical side - I think that the game Philly was forced to play was a major detriment to our ability to play a fluid tactical game. Philly mucked it up, slowed it down, played ugly, played long ball, flopped around. And it clearly disrupted our ability to play our best game. With that said, I do think we would have shown some mental and physical fatigue either way which would have hurt. LSS, I think we would have beaten both versions of Philly.

Union fans are salty on social media right now. Though it's a bit annoying I mostly don't blame them even though they're irrationally blaming NYCFC as if it were our decision whether to play.

But, I expect this to become a much more intense rivalry than it has been, even if the forces driving it are a bit one-sided.
I never really paid much attention to other fans around the league when it came to our team because it’s always the same damn joke about Yankee stadium and pitch sizes. But jeez the hate this post season has been off the chart and it really has to do with YS. I didn’t know this team was the duke Blue Devils of MLS. This team hasn’t won anything before yesterday!? Jeez. It’s like every team’s fan base (except some Seattle fans) want Portland to win.

I never really paid much attention to other fans around the league when it came to our team because it’s always the same damn joke about Yankee stadium and pitch sizes. But jeez the hate this post season has been off the chart and it really has to do with YS. I didn’t know this team was the duke Blue Devils of MLS. This team hasn’t won anything before yesterday!? Jeez. It’s like every team’s fan base (except some Seattle fans) want Portland to win.

you never been to MLS reddit? the hate is real and has been for years...lol. even when there is a post of something good that nycfc does with the community or something you get a small amount of comments and the majority of it is nycfc fans themselves.

i don't go to the reddit, but i read various twitter feeds.. and the general consensus is we are the nazis funded by oil money who play in a futsal pitch in a baseball stadium.

Agree with your post in general. But the "they probably would have" piece is interesting to think about. I actually think we would have played better against their stronger 11. First there was the huge mental switch of transitioning from underdog to massive favorite. That hurts more than it helps. And even strong minds sometimes readjust to a weaker opponent. And on the tactical side - I think that the game Philly was forced to play was a major detriment to our ability to play a fluid tactical game. Philly mucked it up, slowed it down, played ugly, played long ball, flopped around. And it clearly disrupted our ability to play our best game. With that said, I do think we would have shown some mental and physical fatigue either way which would have hurt. LSS, I think we would have beaten both versions of Philly.
Also, if we're playing hypotheticals, if they get their Covid 11 we should be able to play Tinnerholm and Keaton. Our fill-ins have been mostly amazing, but we're better with those two.

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
you never been to MLS reddit? the hate is real and has been for years...lol. even when there is a post of something good that nycfc does with the community or something you get a small amount of comments and the majority of it is nycfc fans themselves.
I haven’t really used Reddit before, only ever looked at Facebook and Instagram comments. I did see someone post in the general question area that NYC would be their local club but was told By other posters on Reddit that the fan base was just a bunch of fascists and racists so now they didn’t know what team to follow which made me sad

Reactions: Kjbert
What does annoy me, though, is I keep seeing people say "If NYCFC got covid the game would've been postponed" as if NYCFC has ever in the past gotten special treatment with game postponements...........
Yeah, MLS "got the final matchup they wanted."

2015-2020 would like a word.

saw this on twitter... LOL

FF778CKXMAITSdu

Yeah I mean with how badly we played, I get it. We only barely beat them with everything they were dealing with, which says to them that if they had their full roster, they'd have smoked us. Considering how they played, they probably would have. And it does seem patently unfair to force them to play while missing so many of their stars. I get it.

That said, we do not have to apologize for how we won. They don't ask how. We got the job done, that's all that matters. But we better be a hell of a lot better against Portland.
Reality is that is impossible to say if they were full strength they would have beat us. Everything would have changed, that's just the way of the TAO.
Yes we looked flat and spent for most of the match but we also responded with a quick goal after the own goal and looked like a new team. We often rise and fall with the vibrations around us. Everything is in flux. I don't think this team would have gotten smoked. I think they would have found a way and it would have always been a close game.
I think we could complain about the lack of consistency with fouls and cards in the NE game that kept our best player off the pitch in the eastern conference championship game. Polster should have been tossed and Buchanan should have at least gotten a yellow for fouls and mouthing off constantly at the official. But we ended up playing against a full strength all time MLS points Supporters Shield team with 10 and found a way to win.

Reactions: moogoo
Sometimes bad stuff just happens

lol this article is no better than all the social media rumors. it just put them all in one place.

Its all so confusing.... Mbaizo may have been "player zero" and dude was on pictch last night. This virus is so freakish and it's hard to know what's the best way to handle it... I think South Africa reported the variant on the 24th and WHO classified it on the 26th. The Nashville game was the 28th.
I guess Union were unlucky.

Its all so confusing.... Mbaizo may have been "player zero" and dude was on pictch last night. This virus is so freakish and it's hard to know what's the best way to handle it... I think South Africa reported the variant on the 24th and WHO classified it on the 26th. The Nashville game was the 28th.
I guess Union were unlucky.

What does the variant have to do with anything?

Even if they were exposed, they'd all be clear to play if they had tested negative twice in a row. They didn't. So that's that.

Curtin said he had 11 players at home healthy "enough to play soccer but aren't here because they have a version of the sniffles". No jim. covid is not the sniffles. Yes it sucks that the rules are what they are, but they are there for everyone.

What does the variant have to do with anything?

Even if they were exposed, they'd all be clear to play if they had tested negative twice in a row. They didn't. So that's that.

Curtin said he had 11 players at home healthy "enough to play soccer but aren't here because they have a version of the sniffles". No jim. covid is not the sniffles. Yes it sucks that the rules are what they are, but they are there for everyone.
That’s an awful look from Curtin to call it the sniffles. This thing has killed millions

And don't forget that even once we do get a stadium, it'll become the "oil money" line instead of the "baseball stadium" line

It’s one thing for a jabroni on social media to jeer about “oil money”. It’s another for their coach to parrot that line in a post-game press conference.

Hey Jim, two things:
1. Yes, you lost a ton of starters. You know who combined for the last goal? Two substitute NYCFC players, one guy who has barely played at all and another who is known more for his singing than his play.
2. Last time I checked your ownership is not a pauper and it’s their choice to go with all homegrowns and limit investment in the club. There is a salary cap, this isn’t Real Madrid spending 5x what others in the league spend. It is his team’s choice to go with all homegrowns.

yes it’s a crappy thing what happened, but stop whining like a fan after one to many cold ones.

That’s an awful look from Curtin to call it the sniffles. This thing has killed millions

yea and for him to say that pretty much admits, imho, that they all tested positive. they all had to have tested positive TWICE to confirm and be unavailable to play. so it is what it is. They may still feel generally good, but those are the rules.

It’s one thing for a jabroni on social media to jeer about “oil money”. It’s another for their coach to parrot that line in a post-game press conference.

Hey Jim, two things:
1. Yes, you lost a ton of starters. You know who combined for the last goal? Two substitute NYCFC players, one guy who has barely played at all and another who is known more for his singing than his play.
2. Last time I checked your ownership is not a pauper and it’s their choice to go with all homegrowns and limit investment in the club. There is a salary cap, this isn’t Real Madrid spending 5x what others in the league spend. It is his team’s choice to go with all homegrowns.

yes it’s a crappy thing what happened, but stop whining like a fan after one to many cold ones.
From May:
“He’s a great player and a great coach, but you can still be a sore loser and an asshole after a game,” Curtin said when asked about Heinze. “We had a discussion about the game. He [Heinze] thought our players were diving and faking injuries.”

1. I think Heinze is correct about the Union and diving. I thought they were embarrassing the last two games v NYCFC with all the diving.
2. Jim should take his own advice.