MLS Cup Playoffs - December 5 - Philadelphia (Away)

From May:
“He’s a great player and a great coach, but you can still be a sore loser and an asshole after a game,” Curtin said when asked about Heinze. “We had a discussion about the game. He [Heinze] thought our players were diving and faking injuries.”

1. I think Heinze is correct about the Union and diving. I thought they were embarrassing the last two games v NYCFC with all the diving.
2. Jim should take his own advice.

I hate the diving but sadly it is part of the game today. It's much less physical than it used to be back in the day. Based on how different the premier league is reffed this season vs last, it's clear that all that needs to change is how the refs ref the game. Just keep it consistent. that's all we want! But if refs stop calling light fouls, players will stop going over so easy.

Reactions: Kjbert
fnhlkepn9zaenkod0ygs.jpg

Don’t love that he left the country
You gotta imagine being around the team during covid protocols is hella hard. Every trip to the hospital or surgeon and rehab would require isolation afterwards and he would be at a much higher risk of bringing covid into the team overall. Not ideal for anyone really.

Sometimes bad stuff just happens

Excellent - thanks for posting.

Its all so confusing.... Mbaizo may have been "player zero" and dude was on pictch last night. This virus is so freakish and it's hard to know what's the best way to handle it... I think South Africa reported the variant on the 24th and WHO classified it on the 26th. The Nashville game was the 28th.
I guess Union were unlucky.

This all makes sense - bad luck. It's too bad people were inclined to jump to conclusions that the players must have misbehaved somehow. It's human nature, I suppose. The situation is less threatening if they contracted Covid from breaking the rules than it having been a random event.

It's bad luck for them to be sure, but so was losing Tinnerholm and Parks for us and losing 2 points to Toronto and RBNJ on bad officiating.

It's bad luck for them to be sure, but so was losing Tinnerholm and Parks for us and losing 2 points to Toronto and RBNJ on bad officiating.

If we didn't lose those points to TFC and RBNJ, we'd be in 2nd place and that ECF game would have been at YS. So, is the covid fiasco karma paying us back? If so, I hope it didn't run out and it still has some juice left to give us an MLS CUP.

We've been homeless for too long. It'll feel a little better if we have an MLS cup to get drunk out of while we wait for a stadium.

If we didn't lose those points to TFC and RBNJ, we'd be in 2nd place and that ECF game would have been at YS. So, is the covid fiasco karma paying us back? If so, I hope it didn't run out and it still has some juice left to give us an MLS CUP.

We've been homeless for too long. It'll feel a little better if we have an MLS cup to get drunk out of while we wait for a stadium.
This post reminds me that when playing “whataboutism” we should include that we played half our home games at a neutral site with little fan support. How many more points would we have had if it had been a normal year with all games in the city? Impossible to know, but certainly some.

This post reminds me that when playing “whataboutism” we should include that we played half our home games at a neutral site with little fan support. How many more points would we have had if it had been a normal year with all games in the city? Impossible to know, but certainly some.
But something I keep thinking back to is if we did pick up more points and did come in second in the conference then every path through the playoffs would be different. I know its crazy but honestly in an alternate universe were we came in second in the conference and had to play Nashville and Redbull in our side of the bracket even at home seems like a steeper slope to climb than playing NER away and Philly away. That's obliviously an over simplification because they would be moved around as well. And in many cases if we did make it to the Eastern Conference Finals we'd be playing the NER who would have a game under their belt instead of the 23 days of rest which in some cases may make them a more difficult opponent. At this point I think coming in fourth was more a blessing and the reason we've gotten this far.

But something I keep thinking back to is if we did pick up more points and did come in second in the conference then every path through the playoffs would be different. I know its crazy but honestly in an alternate universe were we came in second in the conference and had to play Nashville and Redbull in our side of the bracket even at home seems like a steeper slope to climb than playing NER away and Philly away. That's obliviously an over simplification because they would be moved around as well. And in many cases if we did make it to the Eastern Conference Finals we'd be playing the NER who would have a game under their belt instead of the 23 days of rest which in some cases may make them a more difficult opponent. At this point I think coming in fourth was more a blessing and the reason we've gotten this far.
Those a steeper hill to climb than the best team in MLS history and one of the scariest teams (albeit not in recent weeks) in the east? I doubt that. We had probably the hardest path of any playoff team. The other hardest path was RSL, and they lost to Portland, who had arguably on of the easier paths in the west.

Those a steeper hill to climb than the best team in MLS history and one of the scariest teams (albeit not in recent weeks) in the east? I doubt that. We had probably the hardest path of any playoff team. The other hardest path was RSL, and they lost to Portland, who had arguably on of the easier paths in the west.
Right, I guess let me rephrase, while on paper, Atlanta (1-0-1), Philly (1-1-1), and NER (1-2-0) make the path very difficult, all season long we’ve found some success against those teams (surprisingly or unsurprisingly) but we haven’t had that same level of success against RB (0-2-1) or NSH (0-1-1).