MLS Cup Playoffs - November 30 - New England (Away)

I'm envious of those of you who went up to Foxboro. I had a late day work engagement that got canceled at the last minute. Additionally, I booked a trip home in the South for the next two weekends when we couldn't buy a goal a couple months ago. D'oh!

I've been a Ronny hater (hence my booked trip), but he got it right last night. I was impressed by how we managed to control the game and frustrate Buchanan and the other Revs players. I thought at times we gave Gil a little too much space, but we didn't get burned. Santi was quite good last night. Gray has come a long way, and I'm very proud of him. Taty wasn't much of a threat for a good part of the match, but he was able to strike when needed. Just wish he hadn't had that bonehead tackle at the end. Also, can we celebrate the fact that we just beat the best team in the league with Tony Rocha out there for a significant stretch of minutes? Malte was also good out there, and Gudi lulled them to sleep before making that dagger pass to Taty for the second goal.

Very impressed with how we took penalties. I had my shirt over my head for Maxi's penalty.

If we can play like that, we can beat Philly without Taty. It's gonna come down to Medina and Isi showing up. I don't see Héber making too much of an impact if any. He's just not back up to fitness.

I hope the club does a few things to make it easy for folks to get down to Chester. Have fun. I'll be watching from many miles away.
I mean to be fair when we played Toronto people were complaining about the ridiculously long bye as well. (Though to reverse it on myself, that was also the game where everyone said "of all the teams that can beat NYCFC it's Toronto" and then they did it so everyone was hard for toronto)

Btw. Can someone with twitter skills (I get a headache just looking at the site, nevermind searching for stuff) compile some tweets of videos of NYC supporters in the stadium last night?

Reactions: Kjbert
Last night's penalty takers:
  • Alfredo Morales - first ever PK for NYCFC
  • Thiago - first ever PK for NYCFC
  • Ismael Tajouri-Shradi - didn't convert in PK shootout against PUMAS
  • Maxi Moralez - didn't convert in PK shootout against PUMAS (along with all the other misses)
  • Alex Callens - didn't convert in PK shootout against PUMAS
I saw a fair amount of criticism after the PUMAS game, specifically at Callens being selected as a PK taker and him being a central defender. Though I think that was mostly results bias. Especially considering that Sands made his but there was no criticism given for him being selected.

• Maxi Moralez - didn't convert in PK shootout against PUMAS (along with all the other misses)
I saw a fair amount of criticism after the PUMAS game, specifically at Callens being selected as a PK taker and him being a central defender. Though I think that was mostly results bias. Especially considering that Sands made his but there was no criticism given for him being selected.
Biggest difference is those guys who aren’t experience takers just went for power.

I mean to be fair when we played Toronto people were complaining about the ridiculously long bye as well. (Though to reverse it on myself, that was also the game where everyone said "of all the teams that can beat NYCFC it's Toronto" and then they did it so everyone was hard for toronto)

yeah I was thinking about it this morning - playoffs are all about matchups. In 2019 when NYCFC was the #1 seed the narrative was “Toronto is a bad matchup for them” and then Toronto came in and beat NYCFC.

It was a bit similar here - although NYCFC was the #4 seed, they might have been the worst matchup for the Revs. Do you imagine Philly or Nashville dominating play like that? Or Orlando?

The Revs all year were “dominate key moments with their match winners.” Gil did that, so did Tajon. Buksa did as well (prior to the penalty).
Bou and Turner did not.

Reactions: twsj91
Not gonna lie I was very unhappy to see Morales stroll up to the spot first. But the team must know who their best PK kickers are and have practiced before. Still buzzing about last night.

A player I want to shout out is Alfredo. I will 100% eat crow for hating on him earlier in the season. He’s been a pivotal player for this team for the past 2 months or longer. Very happy with his performance last night and for getting the PKs off on the right foot.

Maxi really felt that penalty when he scored it last night, and even afterwards when it was all over. Dude was in disbelief they advanced on penalties.

A player I want to shout out is Alfredo. I will 100% eat crow for hating on him earlier in the season. He’s been a pivotal player for this team for the past 2 months or longer. Very happy with his performance last night and for getting the PKs off on the right foot.
I’ll speak for Tayvon. I know he had some issues in between, but his assist was gorgeous and he really gutted it out at the end.
Re Morales, I think he’s another example of the MLS adjustment effect. A lot of guys need a full season. I’m glad he managed the transition in maybe 70% of one.

I probably complained about Morales at some point but there were a few games in the spring or summer I gave him props. Glad he found his groove. Need it to continue.
I think Santi is back to giving the attack a bit of sparkle that we didn't have previous years. Feel like he makes us more dynamic and creative.
Really just a great team effort.

Underrated moment in the match was the revs stadium announcer absolutely butchering gudi's name and going with the med-eye-na pronunciations for Jesus. Back of section 217 was cracking up. I still can't believe I was there to see this win! My voice is totally gone but I am still smiling what a game!!!

Underrated moment in the match was the revs stadium announcer absolutely butchering gudi's name and going with the med-eye-na pronunciations for Jesus. Back of section 217 was cracking up. I still can't believe I was there to see this win! My voice is totally gone but I am still smiling what a game!!!

That guy screwed up like half of the names on our team. Amateur hour. Check a pronunciation guide. So poor.

Reactions: Kjbert
I’ll speak for Tayvon. I know he had some issues in between, but his assist was gorgeous and he really gutted it out at the end.
Re Morales, I think he’s another example of the MLS adjustment effect. A lot of guys need a full season. I’m glad he managed the transition in maybe 70% of one.
I was thinking if there was an award for a “come back player of the year” but all tied up in just one season instead of playing poor the first season and playing well the second, then Morales would have won it. Alas that’s a silly award, he’s just on the whole has improved

Last edited:

i will also join you on the “i was wrong about Alfredo Morales” bus.