MLS - May 31 - Cincinnati (Home)

I think the calls were poor but not overtly and objectively wrong. The problem was the ref made three 50-50 calls on plays that directly affected goals and all the 50-50s went for Cincinnati.

Add the PK given for the outside the box foul and the PK not given on Blake’s trip of Segal and now it’s five 50-50 calls in two games with not a single one going NYCFC’s way. Rough.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Note that any advantage Cincy has below is due entirely to the penalty. Take that out, and NY's numbers are much better.

b869263addc8175c.png

5 goals in our last 7 matches. I don't care how good your defense is. You're going to lose.

Reactions: Gene
The PK is also a perfect example of why the PK rule is ridiculous in many cases. Apart from the call itself, it took a play with a probably <2% chance of scoring and made it >70%. Not that I have a solution.
Our own John Muller wrote about his solution last year.

Reactions: Davo15 and canchon
Add the PK given for the outside the box foul and the PK not given on Blake’s trip of Segal and now it’s five 50-50 calls in two games with not a single one going NYCFC’s way. Rough.
I'm not sure I'd label the PK given for the outside the box foul on Martins as completely not going NYCFC's way. If it's not ruled a penalty, it's a red for Martins (while already behind 1) and a FK right outside the box.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I'm not sure I'd label the PK given for the outside the box foul on Martins as completely not going NYCFC's way. If it's not ruled a penalty, it's a red for Martins (while already behind 1) and a FK right outside the box.
Yeah, I know - however basically by handing PHL a goal at that point it ended the game. Would have been a much more difficult task to play the rest of the game down a man but still would have only been 2-1.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Cincinnati is the Supporters Shield leaders and widely considered to be one of the elite 2-4 teams in MLS (I am not sold on that point). Anybody watching the game who didn't see the result of any shot or the PK award would think we were the better team on the night and would bet that we won that game. The 2023 version of NYCFC is a good team who has not put it all together yet.

Cincinnati is the Supporters Shield leaders and widely considered to be one of the elite 2-4 teams in MLS (I am not sold on that point). Anybody watching the game who didn't see the result of any shot or the PK award would think we were the better team on the night and would bet that we won that game. The 2023 version of NYCFC is a good team who has not put it all together yet.

I agree. Last night has me more optimistic than I've been about this team all season. We're going to turn this around.

Also -- that video floating around of the fans confronting Sands -- what a load of BS that is. Anyone who says a professional athlete doesn't care is misinformed. The problem is that they care too much.

Also, the fan who said that they don't do this for fun -- reevaluate your reasons for attending NYCFC games, pal. This is supposed to be fun. If it's not fun, stop coming. We won MLS Cup 18 months ago. If it's not fun for you, go find another way to spend your evenings.

Yeah, I know - however basically by handing PHL a goal at that point it ended the game. Would have been a much more difficult task to play the rest of the game down a man but still would have only been 2-1.
I think I could go either way on it. I think I'd rather give up the PK and just hope that it ends up missed or saved and keep a full squad out there than go down to 10 chasing a game.

I also think I'd feel differently if it was a tied game or NYCFC were leading and lean more towards going down a man, or even depending on the opponent.

My main point though is that the decision to call that a penalty at the very least, wasn't completely screwing over NYCFC, because the alternative was also super detrimental.

Freese unprompted statement of support re coaching staff.

"The staff is incredible, and we're all behind them. And we know that with their leadership, we're going to turn it around for sure. The knowledge that they have and the leadership ability that they have to lead us is really great and we're unified, and we just need to keep going for sure"

Our own John Muller wrote about his solution last year.

Good article. I'm not sure that MLS shootouts are the answer but it is food for thought. The Penalty in soccer is arguably the harshest rule/punishment in sports. The fact that fouling a player with his back to the keeper a step inside the box has the same punishment and offers the same high probability of resulting in a goal as a player denying a ball from going over the line with a deliberate hand ball does not seem fair....

Reactions: SoupInNYC
does not seem fair
Uneven is not the same as unfair. The rule is fair because (if) it is clear, understood and called the same for both teams. All it means is that part of being a good player is mental training for how to behave, compose, control yourself within that rectangle.

FWIW, I like the rule as it is.

Uneven is not the same as unfair. The rule is fair because (if) it is clear, understood and called the same for both teams. All it means is that part of being a good player is mental training for how to behave, compose, control yourself within that rectangle.

I think "fair" in this case would be - what's the average xG all goals inside the box vs penalty xg? if penalty xg is well above the inside-the-box xg, then i would consider that "unfair" as well. Different use of the word "fair" from what yours was, though.

Reactions: Davo15

I kind of hate it, but agree it probably should be kept as is. I think we all tend to look at it backwards. The purpose of the PK rule is not to correctly benefit a team whose player is fouled close to goal. The purpose is to make defenders fear fouling a player close to goal.
If you weaken the penalty, make the penalty area smaller, or even make the calls less random, defenders will mark more tightly and be more aggressive in what is now the penalty area and scoring will go down.

I kind of hate it, but agree it probably should be kept as is. I think we all tend to look at it backwards. The purpose of the PK rule is not to correctly benefit a team whose player is fouled close to goal. The purpose is to make defenders fear fouling a player close to goal.
If you weaken the penalty, make the penalty area smaller, or even make the calls less random, defenders will mark more tightly and be more aggressive in what is now the penalty area and scoring will go down.
I was going to say something similar to this. By making a penalty such a harsh punishment compared the foul committed, it makes the defense have to work harder than the offense trying to score. Therefore making it marginally easier to score from open play because defenders must be more careful and cleaner than they may have been outside of the box.

So instant replay is up, they cover 3 issues:
1. Disallowed goal - wrong call, should have been a goal (duh)
2. Cufre head butt - correct call, yellow was adequate
3. Alfaro penalty - correct call, penalty was adequate even though Alfaro has no idea that Mosquera is behind him and there is contact from Mosquera (??).

So instant replay is up, they cover 3 issues:
1. Disallowed goal - wrong call, should have been a goal (duh)
2. Cufre head butt - correct call, yellow was adequate
3. Alfaro penalty - correct call, penalty was adequate even though Alfaro has no idea that Mosquera is behind him and there is contact from Mosquera (??).

PK sucks for us but it's also a fair call. definitely a 50/50 sort of decision and it went against us this time. we see PKs called against defenders going to clear a ball and kicking an attacker sticking their leg in from behind at the last minute to toe poke the ball. this is a similar situation except i would argue the mosquera made a meal out of it and also fouled alfaro by coming over him from behind. but yea. we got the shitty end of a 50/50 call yet again.