New England (Away) - Postmatch

sure. but with a first round bye and no tplaying next week.. that's almost a full month off. that's a long time to build up some rust. it's a tough call but i wouldn't mind seeing some kids play.
The play on the 23rd or 24th -- I can't imagine that there is a meaningful difference between being off for 17 days or 24. Either way you're going to have to schedule a full-effort scrimmage in there somewhere. Also, at least a handful of these guys will probably get called up for international games.

With three allowable subs and a normal starting lineup, you would need at least 5 of these players to play a full 90 in a meaningless game right before the playoffs: Tinnerholm, Chanot, Callens, Maxi, Ring, Heber, Taty, Mitri.

Remember the Chelsea/Revs game? Loftus-Cheek suffered a 5-month Achilles injury in a half-speed friendly right before a cup final...

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I’m assuming you meant that if this is the first objective, what is getting to MLS Cup?

If that is what you meant, I’m assuming that this is the first objective as it’s on the road to getting to MLS Cup. No, winning the east does not guarantee an MLS Cup appearance, but it’s a huge first step in that direction.

I could see clinching the east really as a second objective, with clinching a playoff spot being the first, though.
No i was just curious if we can actually go into next season as the defending Eastern Conference champions even if we don't make MLS Cup. Not a big deal what they call it, but i was curious who goes into next season as the official EC champions.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
The play on the 23rd or 24th -- I can't imagine that there is a meaningful difference between being off for 17 days or 24. Either way you're going to have to schedule a full-effort scrimmage in there somewhere. Also, at least a handful of these guys will probably get called up for international games.

With three allowable subs and a normal starting lineup, you would need at least 5 of these players to play a full 90 in a meaningless game right before the playoffs: Tinnerholm, Chanot, Callens, Maxi, Ring, Heber, Taty, Mitri.

Remember the Chelsea/Revs game? Loftus-Cheek suffered a 5-month Achilles injury in a half-speed friendly right before a cup final...

I think anyone who's slightly banged up sits, but anyone who's healthy will get a run out. For example, I bet Maxi gets taken off at halftime/60', same for Heber if he even plays.

It’s 20 or 23 days off. The real advantage of the bye is not getting the extra rest, it’s not playing round 2 on 3 days rest & away. Pretty genius of MLS to set it up like that.

Anyone have the stat for MLS teams playing on the road on 3 days rest this season? Even better the split when it’s home/away and away/away?

By the way, I can't believe nobody caught the math mistake here. With 3 subs, 6 players can play half a game.

Dome's said a number of times that he doesn't want to rotate unnecessarily (barring injury, suspension or exhaustion I suppose) at this stage of the season. I guess the idea is to have the lineup playing as fluently as possible with one another going into crunch games where any decision or moment can decide an entire season.

Maybe I'm just holding on to the hope that this game is more than perfunctory because I'm making the trip down there.

Either way, crossing my fingers that we see something against Philly which has us feeling at best extremely optimistic, at least intrigued, about the team as we head into the playoffs with more hope than I think we've ever previously had.

I see Dome starting the best XI and then making appropriate subs in the second half. This game may not mean anything for seeding anymore, but it does for momentum and confidence. Philly is one of the better sides in the east all season. We didn't have our best performance against them at YS and Philly definitely felt cheated leaving with a loss.

This game is a statement game that underlines our claim to best in the east. It also gives us confidence and some momentum going into the playoffs on a high note. I'm not opposed to seeing some kids play.. but I say we go in there with our best XI that we would be playing the 2nd round of playoffs with and see what we can do. the 2.5 weeks off is when we can fix any remaining issues we may have and this is a good chance to see what those issues are.

Plus, they have been calling us out since they lost at YS, saying they will kick our ass when we play in Chester. They will be up for this game, especially after losing to CLB and they are fighting for #2 seed still (i thinkt hey still have a chance? didn't look at standings). Either way, it won't feel good to lose. Dome will play the best XI he can field and he's been known to rest players with discomfort, so it's already in his mind not to play anybody with an injury or knock that could become worse.

now i feel like i'm in the wrong thread. lol

I see Dome starting the best XI and then making appropriate subs in the second half.
I agree with this, with the caveat of anyone needing a rest will get one to a certain degree.

For example: If this was a playoff game and one of our best XI had a slight knock that, because it's the playoffs, gives it a go, but maybe would rest it if the game wasn't as important. I'm not exactly certain who that would apply to for us though.

I agree with this, with the caveat of anyone needing a rest will get one to a certain degree.

For example: If this was a playoff game and one of our best XI had a slight knock that, because it's the playoffs, gives it a go, but maybe would rest it if the game wasn't as important. I'm not exactly certain who that would apply to for us though.

maxi

Did you know our score but were ignorant of Columbus-Philly because of the rain delay? Or were you totally ignorant?

Because while both are bad, the former is some kind of enhanced interrogation that runs afoul of the Geneva Convention.

Did you know our score but were ignorant of Columbus-Philly because of the rain delay? Or were you totally ignorant?

Because while both are bad, the former is some kind of enhanced interrogation that runs afoul of the Geneva Convention.
I was totally ignorant to all scores all around :)
It's actually a lot easier to not worry about it than you think!