New Jersey (Away) - Postmatch

No big deal everyone, I’m sure PRO will just have Kelly ref NYCFC’s playoff game this year, no worries.

Kelly was actually probably the most consistent ref there is - but to blow a call like this and then lie through his teeth about it afterwards - no way.

How will MLS hold the refs accountable? Fine all the players and coach making valid points on the farce of a play.

Great first half. Unfortunately only one goal to show for it and then the Mata turnover and Chanot foul resulting in the PK made it worse. Thought Dome was right to take Mata out of the game. Sadly when your only other option is Sweat you can only hope that he doesn't screw up. Second half RB obviously looked the better team, but if it weren't for the complete fumbling of the corner that wasn't they would have been in the same position we were in in the first half with nothing to show for it.

Though GSM looked good, looking forward to his minutes increasing and the chemistry he and the rest of the front line can develop. Also huge game by Parks even though he faded a bit in the second half (and who on the team didn't?)

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Not much to add other than I’m tired of going out to New Jersey and losing again and taking a long ass ride on that rinky dink little train. Time for some joy in these scenarios!

Wasn’t paying attention at the goal - just heard a cheer go up and saw the mess afterwards. Why they didn’t check with VAR about that call seems like madness to me.

GMS looked like he should be useful - he’s a great team player so should help with a lot of our link up play.

Good show from the fans who outsang the jersey mob and would have had to wait even longer at the end after being penned in!

NYCFC should fund local referee development.

It's the biggest issue in Major League Soccer right now -- the league has become too fast and too skilled for the referees. Guys who were stars even 5 years ago can't even sniff an XI now. And yet, it's still the same group of referees. The league is too good for these refs, and it's something MLS really needs to work on. Because what we saw tonight is inexcusable.

Can I also make one other comment? For the first 25 games or so of his tenure, it didn't really seem like Dome felt invested in this team -- it felt like he was a caretaker manager.

The way he reacted tonight, he's OUR manager. We really haven't seen this passion from him before. It was great to see him feel this way - and talk this way after the game -- about what happened. For the first time, it feels like Dome's team. Good stuff for him and for the club.

I was going to order red cards and yellow cards to bring to matches. But know I think I need to get laminated signs:

Throw In or Corner?
PRO is garbage.
Ref, DO YOUR JOB!

Any other suggestions?

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
I expect last night to be the first article The Athletic writes about NYCFC in a while.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Screen Shot 2019-07-15 at 8.14.55 AM.png

I thought last night that people were overstating the quality of our chances after Heber's goal, and blaming the players every time we missed an opportunity. I just rewatched all of them. That and this Opta chart confirm (for me) that opinion. The best chance we had after the goal was the first one at 24'. Air Bear and Taty (I did not realize he had so many names) were breaking with Robles and one defender in front of them, plus 2 trailing defenders just behind. Heber on the left passed to Taty center and the pass was just behind where it needed to be. By the time Taty stopped, gathered and shot, all 3 near defenders were on him and between him and goal. That's why the xG value is low, but it was a stronger chance until the slight misdirected pass.

Multiple people called out Ring but the 6.75% value looks right to me. The pass to him from Parks bounced in thigh high.
He had to catch it and shoot it from another bounce off his first touch because he had one defender closing. Also, Robles had the angle covered and there was another defender inside the keeper box. I think people reacted to it being a typical Ring field goal but he did no worse than most in a tough situation.

None of the other chances were that great. We had some breaks but the RB defenders are fast and closed in. They play defense. Murillo, Long and Lawrence are regulars on their national teams. Tarek also has been capped, though not so much or lately. In the shout box there were a lot of comments trashing our guys for missing those opportunities as if the Red Bulls had a third rate back line and had no responsibility for us not scoring more. We basically deserve the one goal we got.

Last edited: