New Jersey - Postmatch

Forgot to list in my prior post, but holy hell, what’s the deal with random club & country jerseys at the match?!?!? I saw the following:

Sweden (Ibra)
Scotland
England
Mexico
Nigeria
USA - multiple iterations
Croatia
Spain (not Villa)
France
LAFC (with matching hat)
ManU
Chelsea (Lampard)
Aston Villa -wtf, seriously?!?
AC Milan
Multiple Mexican Clubs that I couldn’t keep straight
Liverpool
And a few others I can’t remember but was thinking wtf.....

I don’t understand the inclination to wear a non-relevant kit to a match just to show you’re a “true” soccer fan
Aww, one of my favorite things about going to matches at YS is seeing a huge variety of kits. But then again, a big part of what I love about both soccer and NYC is the cosmopolitanism and universalism.

Forgot to list in my prior post, but holy hell, what’s the deal with random club & country jerseys at the match?!?!? I saw the following:

Sweden (Ibra)
Scotland
England
Mexico
Nigeria
Croatia
Spain (not Villa)
France
LAFC (with matching hat)
ManU
Chelsea (Lampard)
AC Milan
Liverpool

I don’t understand the inclination to wear a non-relevant kit to a match just to show you’re a “true” soccer fan

And Catalonia For Dome, presumably

Reactions: Kjbert

Sweden (Ibra)
Scotland
England
Mexico
Nigeria
Croatia
Spain (not Villa)
France
LAFC (with matching hat)
ManU
Chelsea (Lampard)
AC Milan
Liverpool

On the ManU front we saw Pogba and Rooney jerseys, both being worn by Red Bull fans.

Reactions: Kjbert
Maybe we need a 3rd string 9.
I didn’t like Maxi as the 9. He scored, so obviously it worked out in the end, but I thought having him as the striker really negated his influence on the game. Normally he has 80+ touches and is so important to the offense. Today he ended with 51

Reactions: The Toe
Maybe we need a 3rd string 9.
What? You didn’t like Maxi there? Hahahaha

I mean, it was pretty horrible to watch for long stretches except it was so tense.

ETA: Maxi as a 9 is not really viable. Maybe just stick Lewis or Medina up there.

I presume the idea behind putting Maxi there wasn’t because he would be effective there, but because he would at least understand space well enough to fuck with the heads of both center backs.

We missed some great chances to get in behind.

Sweden (Ibra)
Scotland
England
Mexico
Nigeria
Croatia
Spain (not Villa)
France
LAFC (with matching hat)
ManU
Chelsea (Lampard)
AC Milan
Liverpool

Any national team jersey is a go during the World Cup. Also this was our closest game to 4th of July so team USA definitely welcome.
I don't like when people wear European club jerseys to MLS matches.

Last edited:
I was anxious that not bagging a goal when we played so well in the first 30 minutes was going to come back and bite us in the ass. Thought we might pull one out in the last minutes of the first half too, but it just never seemed to come.

Defense was aggressive in the midfield and I think Callens and Chanot looked as good in the back as we've seen them. BWP was bottled up all day. Sweat looked as good defensively as I think we'll see him, but he was part of way too many unforced turnovers and passes going out.

Bad timing on the Berget injury, but things always look a little better after a derby win.

Pretty good night overall.

I thought Ofori was really good at circulating the ball and handling some horrendous balls played to him.

I think there are too damn many people overlooking the value of a good circulator who can calm possession, ride a tackle, complete a pass when shit is getting tense.

He's useful but not an answer. A steady depth player that can spot start. I'm not that impressed with his distribution. He is a direct play killer. More of a side to side player. Just not my style. But I also said in the chat that I missed Berget more than Villa this game...so that's my mind today after too many overpriced Stellas.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
You know, she obviously knows nothing about MLS let alone soccer, and I’m not getting political here, but you’d think the Ambassador to the UN would take the time to care about geography.

Anyway, the boss was here.
And actually, nearly the entire UN Security Council was there tonight. Nice to see, even if it's only because everyone has soccer fever right now.

It’s great to see that Dome isn’t going to be like PV and actually play away from the strengths of his opponent. It didn’t even take a game for him to realize we can’t beat RBNY’s press for 90 minutes. Whether he felt that way because he doesn’t think we’re talented enough to play out of the back against them (we’re not) or that RBNY’s press is just that good (it is) I’m glad he decided it’s better to win the game than put on a possession show.
I give SJ crap from time to time but he did well getting the ball up to midfield and actually picked out players most of the time. The long throw to Shradi would of been amazing if he got on the end of it.
It wasn’t the prettiest 90 minutes but we were still somehow in control and got a goal and that’s what counts.
PLEASE start Lewis. Also we need a DP. ASAP. We’re playing right now with 1 1/2 DP’s.

Reactions: SoupInNYC and adam
Any of a pick of the tifo or at least a discription of what it said. I was getting a beer...

What a freakin' season Maxi Moralez is having. We're 18 games in -- 16 to go -- and he has 7 goals, 8 assists. That's DP material right there, folks. He has been absolutely massive for this club.

Feel for Rodney Wallace -- the guy hasn't scored in like 15 months, and it shows. He has a great work-rate, but not much else at the moment. Has to bury that early chance alone against Robles, and after that he was pretty useless.

Lewis doesn't seem like the most tactically sound player on the roster, but he sure does create chances. He definitely deserves to start after basically winning the team two points.

Alex Ring is our most indispensable player. He is unreal.

Was great to see Chanot back out there. Whatever the issue was, it's so good he's back. The guy was in complete control all night.

Ugly game, but it's always pretty when you beat the Red Bulls. Bronx was absolutely rocking all night. Third Rail was smoking.

GOOOOO BACK TO NEW JERSEY!

I can not comprehend why people care about what jersey people wear to games.
Oh I don’t know, it’s kinda like when you go visit the Vatican you don’t wear shorts and short sleeves. With a game, either wear the colors of the teams playing or go neutral if you aren’t aligned, but wearing another team’s jersey is kinda douche in that it says the person wants to be taken seriously as a soccer fan because they like a particular club/country enough to have the kit.

I can’t think of a single college or pro football game, or MLB game I’ve ever been to where fans are wearing third-party jerseys.

Reactions: Fake Jew