New Jersey - Postmatch

It's fair game to talk shit to them though
Yes! Again, a thing I love about seeing a wide range of kits is the conversation-starter factor.

"Cagliari? Wow, are you a super-hipster or do you have a connection to Sardinia?"

"Hamburg? Yeah, Bobby Wood is really underperforming, right? Condolences on the relegation."

"Fulham! You guys gonna manage to stay up?"

I love soccer and soccer culture, and I love being with other soccer fans to geek out. If someone wants to give me an in by wearing a jersey I can comment on, I'm here for it.

Yes! Again, a thing I love about seeing a wide range of kits is the conversation-starter factor.

"Cagliari? Wow, are you a super-hipster or do you have a connection to Sardinia?"

"Hamburg? Yeah, Bobby Wood is really underperforming, right? Condolences on the relegation."

"Fulham! You guys gonna manage to stay up?"

I love soccer and soccer culture, and I love being with other soccer fans to geek out. If someone wants to give me an in by wearing a jersey I can comment on, I'm here for it.
Bobby going to play for the Mayor's old club, now, though. Hopefully, he'll get a little service now and again.

I, too, am not that bothered by people wearing shirts. If they think it's cool to be #TeamSoccer, I'll just let it be. Admittedly, not like me, but I've really matured after living through some of the lineups we've put out in the past, to the point I can suffer most anything one might encounter at YS, on the field or off.

(terrible sentence structure. my bad)

Reactions: Kjbert
So I should go ahead and wear Bayern kits to all the remaining matches?
giphy.gif

It is likely that many of the folks in random kits are not (yet) committed NYCFC supporters who have been attracted to the game by marketing, word of mouth, an invitation by a friend, or curiosity. Or they are tourists taking the opportunity to watch their favorite sport. That's a good thing, and an opportunity to develop some new supporters and fill some more seats.

It's different from other sports in the US where it would be peculiar to wear the jersey of competing team in the league to a game. No one is wearing an LAFC kit to the game. It's like flashing your flag in a worldwide game. I don't mind it.

My friend and I also noticed this as well. I was thinking the same, that there's no way it was only 3-5k of a difference- that really seemed a lot more.
However, this does show me that as the first two tiers were mostly full, a 25k-30k seater stadium would definitely suit us and would be probably the perfect size.

The stadium really felt full last night, much more than a few of the prior “25k” games where there were a lot more no-shows. Beer line was even too long at halftime to get a refill.

I just want to thank Dome for coming in an IMMEDIATELY understanding that his job is not only to motivate players, but to motivate the fan base as well. His first order of business was to "break the mentality that Red Bull is better than us." He got the players to fight for themselves and for us. We are in good hands.

That’s great. I hate that they do the Viking chant. Nothing says Vikings like Harrison NJ.
There were people trying to start a NYC variation of it last night. It seemed to start in the second level around on the third base side. It didn't quite catch on but it didn't fail completely either. If they're persistent it will catch on.

Also, the RB Viking thing started under conditions similar to NYC's 2018 roster. One year they had an influx of northern European players and they people had fun with it.

Reactions: Schwallacus
The stadium really felt full last night, much more than a few of the prior “25k” games where there were a lot more no-shows. Beer line was even too long at halftime to get a refill.
It was a great atmosphere with the Supporters Groups being heard non-stop. Only once did I hear the RB fans’ chant, and it was quickly drowned out by ours being re-upped in intensity.

There were people trying to start a NYC variation of it last night. It seemed to start in the second level around on the third base side. It didn't quite catch on but it didn't fail completely either. If they're persistent it will catch on.

;)

Highlight of the Day: When they played this on the video board before the New Jersey starting 11...
Is earning the right to be a New Yorker, crippling in debt and spending 4,000 dollars a year on a studio apartment just so you can live in a "cool" neighborhood?

Few more things from last night:

1. Is Chanot’s hand ok? The big screen showed him at least twice flexing his wrist. Speaking of Chanot, he was back to his usual self. Hope the issue that was keeping him out was resolved - as others have said he was great last night. BWP had less than 30 touches and really only had one half-chance in the game.

2. Maxi as a #9 is pure comedy. But give him so much credit for occupying the CBs and trying runs in behind. Given how RBNJ plays such a high line that strategy makes sense.

3. How about those final few minutes, taking the ball to the corner and winning throwins? After that ball pinging around the box, they shut down the final few minutes with ease. Nicely done.

Few more things from last night:

1. Is Chanot’s hand ok? The big screen showed him at least twice flexing his wrist. Speaking of Chanot, he was back to his usual self. Hope the issue that was keeping him out was resolved - as others have said he was great last night. BWP had less than 30 touches and really only had one half-chance in the game.

2. Maxi as a #9 is pure comedy. But give him so much credit for occupying the CBs and trying runs in behind. Given how RBNJ plays such a high line that strategy makes sense.

3. How about those final few minutes, taking the ball to the corner and winning throwins? After that ball pinging around the box, they shut down the final few minutes with ease. Nicely done.
For all the talk of Maxi being comical at #9, what he was doing was definitely getting into Long’s/Parker’s heads.... they wanted absolutely nothing to do with the ball and would either boom it long upfield to relieve pressure or just kick it out. I’ve never seen a CB pair (of a highly ranked team) so afraid on the ball, and I’d like to think they were afraid of Maxi picking their pocket, which almost happened a few times

Except for the guy with matching hat sitting at the end of my row. IDK....
But I'm not sure I could blame the guy if he was an LAFC fan. If I was in another city and wanted to catch an MLS game between two other teams I don't care about (let's say, the El Trafico as a great example), I would probably wear an NYCFC shirt.

ETA: Please also excuse my "THE El Trafico" o_O

Last edited:
It was a great atmosphere with the Supporters Groups being heard non-stop. Only once did I hear the RB fans’ chant, and it was quickly drowned out by ours being re-upped in intensity.
I was sitting right at the halfway line- I heard the RB supporters the whole game, albeit very faintly. That being said, they were on the third tier so of course they would be hard to hear. If they were in their usual section, I have a feeling we would have heard them a lot louder.