SKC Postmatch

Best: Chanot, Maxi, Ring
Worst: Graham Zusi's face. Tony Meola

I'll never be disappointed after a road win.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Eta2: far be it from me to tell Villa how to counter. But it looked like he made his mind up way too soon he was taking it all the way. Yes, we could debate his decisions. In reality, I’m arguing he effed up when he decided at the halfway line he was putting one on goal.

He was trying too hard last night to score. That's sounds dumb, because it's Villa, and that's his job, but that looked like "2015, frustrated, so I have to do everything" Villa. Not sure if it was related to Quini, and he wanted to dedicate a goal to him or something, but it was pretty obvious when he kept trying to dribble around 3 defenders.

As to Villa losing a step, I'm not worried yet. He still looked dangerous last night. Remember at the Red Bull's home game last year, Perinelle ran him down on a mini break and Villa wasn't able to get a good shot off. But, that game ended with a Villa hat trick, so that moment was forgotten

I really liked the first 20 minutes of this game. We were possessing them to death, and they couldn't get on the ball. We had +70% possession. Interestingly enough, we didn't score during that stretch, but in the following period where SKC took over.

Then in the end of the second half, we reverted to the bunker, which is worrying. We ended up with 48.3% possession for the game. I think if PV can figure out how to keep that possession style for 90 min and work out the finishing (while dominating possession) then we will have a real shot.

I don't think the press scares us anymore. SKC wasn't the best at pressing, but they did have us pinned back in our 3rd for a decent chunk of that first 20min, and we dealt with it just fine.

upload_2018-3-5_7-8-47.png

Reactions: SoupInNYC
http://www.goal.com/en/news/david-v...gend-enrique-castro/mnunjtsqeofh14yu7emmewm2d

I'll disclaimer this first by saying that I crashed at half-time so I have no idea what the positioning of the players was, but I'll say that DOGSO is slightly more nuanced than just "if there is another defender there". It's more about if the referee believes another defender would be able to intercept the attacking player before he takes his shot. If Tinny wasn't going to get across in time - or if it would be tight - then it's probably still going to be DOGSO.

All that isn't to say that Geiger didn't make a poor decision, but that is the condition he has to consider, and remember that in 50-50 decisions you pretty much always favour the attacker...
Still doesn't help me understand what the heck he was on about mistaken identity .

Just one thing I want to point out is that our overall team speed is absurd. Even when Callens is full steam he is faster that most strikers in this league. Compare that to our 2015 squad which may have been the slowest squad ever formed

I am not worried about Villa being run down from behind by a younger guy in a 50-yard sprint. Not as long as he can pull off that cut back against a guy like Opara and beat him to the end line to lay off a pinpoint pass.

Sweat surprised with his speed twice last night. One when he blew last Zusi and set up the second goal, and once when he couldn’t run slower than Villa on the breakaway to end the half.

I'd be curious to see what it would look like with Medina on one side and Tajouri on the other as our starting wingers. Without Mata behind him Wallace offered little going forward, but is dependable going back on defense as usual. Will be curious to see if this was just a wake up call towards Mata or if Vieira has given up putting him at LB and sees him more as a LW in the future.
Tinny looked really good with Medina in front of him, but kind of levelled off and didn't make too many runs when Wallace flipped with Medi early in the game. Defensively looked decent, but not great. Definitely an upgrade, and looks like he can fit in well. Chanot looked pissed at him after the lead up to the red card.

Side note, dummyrun . Schadenfreude pronunciation breakdown below the spoiler.

I'll break it down into four parts-

SCHA-sounds like the first part of "shot" without the "t" pronounced.
DEN-Exactly like "den" or a room type found in some houses, similar to a living room.
FREU- sounds like "froy" or saying the name "Roy" with an "f" in front. EU in German makes an "oy" sound.
DE- sounds like "duh" or a response to answer everyone should know. Example: Duh, you didn't know that? German words ending with "e" make a soft "a" sound, similar to Spanish words ending with a like "bonita" or "empanada."

Shah - den - froy - duh
Scha - den - freu - de

Last edited:
We looked good. Better than last year's average, not sure if it was much different than last year's good. Hopefully we can find some consistency at this level of play with the additional squad depth.

The things that were bad (transition D, set pieces, and finishing) are still a concern.

I need to see a string of wins. The bar is set very high and I won't know that we're truly ready to make a significant run in the playoffs unless we can show that we can dominate for a stretch.

We got a great road win without Villa scoring.

Very good start to the season and I'm looking forward to seeing the team develop.

Good win. Just some random notes:

That local pop-up poster who initially summarized Tinny for us no-doubt gave the best and most accurate assessment of a player by a local pop-up poster. Every time Tinny did something, good or bad (heavily weighted on the good) his write-up kept popping into my head for some reason. Tinny is going to be fun to watch.

Villa looked like he was playing sad and angry, for obvious reasons, but still was great. I don't attribute his not scoring at the end of the half to losing a step (frankly, he's never been fast on the sprint at this stage), it was just a slight blip on awareness (as to how quickly the defender was approaching and/or the opportunity to pass). He was still treating defenders like cones, especially on that anklebreaker assist.

Maxi was terrific, as the smooth and calming presence. He seemed to be positioned well and playing the correct role. He was also gnatting it up on defense, especially towards the end. With the surrounding cast, DP argument aside, he's going to be a really valuable player this season.

It was nice to see Ring get his shot down.

It's hard to tell without watching his full game in person but Medina looked more comfortable and dynamic than I expected. That's promising.

Our defense is the fiercest in the league. With Callens, Chanot and Ring cleaning up (and Johnson behind) we should be tough to beat. Even when KC got through, our defenders were sacrificing the body and blocking shots like hockey players.

Yangel had a strange game, a mix of good and awful plays. He needs to be more consistent. I hope that the lapses aren't the result of lack of interest/concentration/maturity, but I am afraid that they may be.

Even in just a few minutes, Mata looked a bit lost, running around aimlessly, and committed an unacceptable blunder unnecessarily being caught offsides down a man while trying to kill a game.

Tinny said it correctly in his interview, we became tentative (he said scared) when we got the 2 goal lead. That's a carryover from last season we need to fix. Part of that is coaching (both tactical and substitution management) so some of that will be on PV.

Great 3 to grab. Let's positively build on it.

Still doesn't help me understand what the heck he was on about mistaken identity .
This is a boring story but I'll explain to keep Midas from going batty.
Shortest version, I simply misread Midas and LIexpat and anyone else who said it wasn't DOGSO because Tinny was covering. That's probably enough explanation (maybe more than was needed) for 99% of you.

Longer version, watching the play live, I wasn't thinking DOGSO. I should have been but I wasn't. I was worried Chanot would take him down in the box for a pen. When he took him down on contact that overlapped the edge of the box I had 2 hopes (1) Geiger says it was outside , or (2) Geiger calls no foul because he deems it 2 guys fighting even. Which is what he did before VAR.
When he changed it after VAR and called DOGSO I quickly looked and thought it made sense, then promptly forgot why.
Then LIexpat and Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan said Tinnerholm covered the guy so it wasn't DOGSO and in my head for no good reason I thought you were saying Tinny fouled him not Chanot. Which didn't make sense because Tinnerholm was yards away and it was not what either of you said -- clearly -- but that's what happened in my head. Monday's mundane mystery solved.

Now, after this confusion in the morning I went back to the DVR and looked, and I don't think Tinny provides enough cover to avoid DOGSO. When the play started he was about 1.5 steps behind. He closed the gap fast because Chanot and Fernandes were concentrating on the ball and he could just run. But just as he got close he veered away and off to the left. By the time the foul happened he was not in position to cover because he was shutting off a potential pass to the left instead. If Fernandes got by Chanot then Tinny could not have intervened.

Last edited:
Thought that was a great game - very solid defensive performance, clean sheet, nice link up play from the forwards and, often when the ball broke, we had 3/4 guys on the front foot, all in sync, ready to start a turnover, which was great to see.

Congrats to my boy Ben Sweat too, serious baller.

Reactions: Ulrich
Not sure if it was related to Quini, and he wanted to dedicate a goal to him or something, but it was pretty obvious when he kept trying to dribble around 3 defenders.
Was going to say this, but found out you already pointed it out. For some reason, probably my being dense, I hadn't taken that perspective until this morning. I think that's quite likely.

About those time-wasting yellows Geiger gave Medina and Johnson. They were cheap. It sucks we got them. But I think Geiger will be positively graded for giving them out.
PRO and MLS have 4 points of emphasis going into the season.
  • visual dissent
  • holding and pushing in the goal area
  • persistent infringement
  • delaying a restart
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/03/02/new-host-new-format-new-instant-replay-2018?autoplay=true
As part of the last point, Wiebe also says we should expect refs to add more extra time.

From the games I saw, the only evidence that refs were following any of this were that it did seem more extra minutes were being added than usual, and Geiger booked NYCFC twice for delayed restarts. This might be why Geiger is reportedly rated highly. He simply follows the damn memos about the TPS reports that everyone else ignores.