New York City Fc Announce Ground-breaking Youth Development League

The upside of CFG. This screams CFG all over.

I would go a step further. Screams of La Mesia and Soriano.

NYC was always the final frontier for soccer. There are 20 Million residents in the Metro Area. 20 Million. That's 40% of the entire population of England.

This is a fantastic stroke for those of us who have children. It's a pre-cursor to what I would imagine will be a fantastic EDS here in the states. I just hope that they end up with more than 11 youth affiliate programs and I hope there is some sort of teaching available to get the coaches up to snuff.

The training seems very familiar to what Belgium has been doing for the past decade. It's all about developing technical skills.

Just about every youth club is pay-to-play, as they have no other way of paying for uniform, officials and travel costs. I would expect the partnership with NYCFC will greatly reduce or eliminate these costs.

Brilliant move, and potentially a game-changer. It emphasizes that our folks see this as an opportunity to change the way a club is developed in the United States. Just as importantly it also is a sign that they are taking this team very seriously and see it as a long-term mainstay in the United States not a market-test or diversification after-thought. This is exciting.

Excellent move.

This is a grand slam if they aren't pay-to-play. Hopefully they at least do "scholarships" or lower or eliminate fees for low income players.

Excellent move.

This is a grand slam if they aren't pay-to-play. Hopefully they at least do "scholarships" or lower or eliminate fees for low income players.
well i hope there are scholarships or something that will reduce the fees at some point in the future. That will be key to really tap into the undiscovered talent out there to be developed. If not then it will be pretty much what it is now except affiliates will play against each other instead.

well i hope there are scholarships or something that will reduce the fees at some point in the future. That will be key to really tap into the undiscovered talent out there to be developed. If not then it will be pretty much what it is now except affiliates will play against each other instead.

There's absolutely going to be a proper academy. NYCFC's academy page even says "the next stage is the announcement of our academy", although it's said that for a while.

Reactions: Kjbert
So NYCFC has created a Youth League, with 3 boys age groups, which will draw teams from the 11 affiliate clubs.
Did I get that right?

So what is the plan after they are 11? They join a new NYCFC only academy?

There's absolutely going to be a proper academy. NYCFC's academy page even says "the next stage is the announcement of our academy", although it's said that for a while.
That's not quite the same thing. The players on those youth clubs have to pay a fee to play for those clubs. So that eliminates kids from families who can't pay those fees. The academy can be free but it will only be free for those players whose families can pay to get them into the affiliated clubs.

All of the the better travel teams in the metro area are Pay to Play. Any sport. Travel is paid for by the parents.
I know a guy who runs one of the Hoops leagues . The kids pay several thousand each and the guy does 1 or 2 scholarships per team to bring in some better kids from the City. He's got boys and girls teams in 5 different age groups. Non of these leagues are about the kids anymore. This is all Business

This is very promising I must say.. A very ambitious move that I´m sure the affiliate clubs will love

Like DRoy mentioned on twitter I'd like to see Lewis, Karrell and Megdal's take on this.
To me it seems that Lewis is truly interested in covering the team and since he's been doing this for a while, he thought he should have been treated with more consideration. Karrell is a bitter cosmos fan who realizes his club isn't going anywhere. Megdal is a red bull fan who feels threatened. It is what it is. Lewis is more likely to give a fair unbiased assessment. Certain things can't be spun negatively without looking blatantly biased so I'm interested in seeing what happens.
I don't know any of those names you mentioned. Jeez - you slow down on your clicks here for a couple weeks and you're totally out of the loop.

All of the the better travel teams in the metro area are Pay to Play. Any sport. Travel is paid for by the parents.
I know a guy who runs one of the Hoops leagues . The kids pay several thousand each and the guy does 1 or 2 scholarships per team to bring in some better kids from the City. He's got boys and girls teams in 5 different age groups. Non of these leagues are about the kids anymore. This is all Business
That is 100% totally the current philosophy, yes.

For development of prospects in the NYC area to really take the next step, though, pay for play needs to go away. The USMNT is missing out on some big time players due to the financial issues around pay to play - many parents (especially those cash strapped due to high rent in NYC) just can't afford it.

I would expect the partnership with NYCFC will greatly reduce or eliminate these costs.

This is my hope.

Reactions: Kinkladze
I don't know any of those names you mentioned. Jeez - you slow down on your clicks here for a couple weeks and you're totally out of the loop.

That is 100% totally the current philosophy, yes.

For development of prospects in the NYC area to really take the next step, though, pay for play needs to go away. The USMNT is missing out on some big time players due to the financial issues around pay to play - many parents (especially those cash strapped due to high rent in NYC) just can't afford it.

This is my hope.
The fact that you don't know theses names may be why NYCFC doesn't bother responding to their emails.

So NYCFC has created a Youth League, with 3 boys age groups, which will draw teams from the 11 affiliate clubs.
Did I get that right?

So what is the plan after they are 11? They join a new NYCFC only academy?

Looks like it'll go like this:

Step 1: NYCFC Youth Development League (U9, U10, U11): 11-Team intraleague competition with a focus on development and performance over winning. Top graduates move on to Step 2, but theoretically could leave and get picked up by another team.

Step 2: NCYFC Academy (U14, U16, U18): One team per age group, these players are officially part of the NYCFC machine and eligible to become homegrown players. They'll likely play in the NE division of this league: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Soccer_Development_Academy

*One article mentioned that academies will soon have a U12 division as well, which will bridge the gap between Step 1 and Step 2.

Step 3: NYCFC "Baby Blues" USL Pro: Become professional and either jump straight to the first team, or spend another year or two with the USL Pro squad developing.

Step 4: NYCFC: Bring home the MLS Cup for the organization you just spent 10+ years climbing the ladder with.