New York City Fc Announce Ground-breaking Youth Development League

The fact that you don't know theses names may be why NYCFC doesn't bother responding to their emails.

Eh, I assume they're writers, but I don't really follow them. I get most of my soccer news from different outlets.

Karrell, though - after research, I've read a lot of his stuff but never noticed the byline. I get most of my soccer news from Twitter and Empire of Soccer, to be frank.

Reactions: Kjbert
Looks like it'll go like this:

Step 1: NYCFC Youth Development League (U9, U10, U11): 11-Team intraleague competition with a focus on development and performance over winning. Top graduates move on to Step 2, but theoretically could leave and get picked up by another team.

Step 2: NCYFC Academy (U14, U16, U18): One team per age group, these players are officially part of the NYCFC machine and eligible to become homegrown players. They'll likely play in the NE division of this league: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Soccer_Development_Academy

*One article mentioned that academies will soon have a U12 division as well, which will bridge the gap between Step 1 and Step 2.

Step 3: NYCFC "Baby Blues" USL Pro: Become professional and either jump straight to the first team, or spend another year or two with the USL Pro squad developing.

Step 4: NYCFC: Bring home the MLS Cup for the organization you just spent 10+ years climbing the ladder with.

I like this very much.. The complete structure

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert
That's not quite the same thing. The players on those youth clubs have to pay a fee to play for those clubs. So that eliminates kids from families who can't pay those fees. The academy can be free but it will only be free for those players whose families can pay to get them into the affiliated clubs.

These clubs, and all clubs, will support a kid if he's good enough. Happens all the time.

The key, moving forward, is to have access to the kids who don't usually play soccer. It's about tapping into the basketball and football crowds in the metropolitan area.

I notice from looking at the Wikipedia article for the US Soccer Development Academy page that several clubs have two affiliates playing at that level. Any chance that we might be able to plant a second academy down somewhere without an MLS presence already? Put one out somewhere like Syracuse, or maybe further afield like Michigan or Maine?

I notice from looking at the Wikipedia article for the US Soccer Development Academy page that several clubs have two affiliates playing at that level. Any chance that we might be able to plant a second academy down somewhere without an MLS presence already? Put one out somewhere like Syracuse, or maybe further afield like Michigan or Maine?

An even better one would be central Connecticut, around Hartford. Lots of population density in Central Connecticut and the Connecticut Shoreline. Those are outside of the "NY Metropolitan area."

Reactions: Kinkladze
I could see Syracuse but Michigan and Maine are to far away

True, though RSL has an academy in southern Arizona, 550 miles away from Salt Lake City. That's no further than Maine or half of Michigan.
Maine is part of new England so that isn't happen but yeah the distance of those two are going make me think it wouldn't happen.

True, though RSL has an academy in southern Arizona, 550 miles away from Salt Lake City. That's no further than Maine or half of Michigan.
RSL is a special case most scouting/dev territory is limited to the metro or state. Expect NYCFC to share nyc with RB and parts of Conneticut with Revs.

I'm not really sure how the whole Academy thing works. Your talking about Syracuse and central Ct as locations. Would the kids come from those areas or go there to train? How old are the kids?
Are the academy's like college sports here where kids go and if they don't make the pro's at least they get an education(haha)? Do they live there?
I know that in Baseball kids in the DR sign with "agents" in their early teens who trade them up the line.
in Brazil kids from the slums sign contracts through their parents as young as 10.
We are not a 2nd or 3rd world country(yet) How does it work if you are at the academy and a senior and your parents say your going to college? do you rejoin the academy 4 years later

I could be wrong, and I probably am, but Im thinking that if there was a Syracuse academy for instance then it would be from kids in and around the Syracuse area only, and they would pay to play with hopes of eventually joining the actual team. I think the ages would start young, probably U10 or U12 and go up to like U18 or U19.

Being form DR (most Dominicans don't say the DR the same way most Americans don't say the MLS) I can attest to that being true.

Not sure what you mean, 25 years ago people said "Republic de Dominicana" do you live in the City. But thats kinda formal. I said DR like I would say LES UWS or 914 casual
I said" The DR" and I hear it all the time in the in port chester where I work. I always took it as a matter of pride the same way people say "the states" hope I did not offend. Most of the people I know are here for 20 years or more and maybe its more common. Or maybe its because they work in the suburbs.

Aww shit. CFG going to get the sweetest deals ever on the forthcoming Zelalems. It's quite bright. MLS low pay structure gives you cheap "ownership" of literally thousands of kids. If only one pans out, you're still striking oil.

It's fine. Should be good for the game. But it ain't altruism.

I know a guy who runs one of the Hoops leagues . The kids pay several thousand each and the guy does 1 or 2 scholarships per team to bring in some better kids from the City. He's got boys and girls teams in 5 different age groups. None of these leagues are about the kids anymore. This is all Business
Ugh, youth soccer in the US is still a virgin compared to the corporate / collegiate money making whores / vampires of youth basketball and football in the US.

I'm so turned off by how the NCAA, AAU clubs and their sponsors rake in millions from their kiddie sweatshops.

I love how the European way is to emphasize technical skills and NOT necessarily stats and wins with youth development. I wonder how that type of system would work in the tri-state area where you see a lot of moms and dads getting a little too gung ho about their kids NOT getting playing time or teams NOT notching up enough wins.

I don't want to see youth soccer in the the US become as corrupt as college basketball and football is today. If you use club academies and promote all 3 divisions of US soccer correctly, there's absolutely no need for the NCAA at all (and kids can actually get paid and make a living playing soccer instead of getting raped by the NCAA).

As the team and league grow in popularity (and there's only up to look to from here), I think these youth affiliates will be really popular with kids who love the game and want to develop. It's such a brilliant move and as others have mentioned the potential for finding raw talent is massive and right there for the taking. With this and the impending academy we're looking at a great resource for not just the team but future USMNT players. The future for NYC and American soccer is bright.

Ugh, youth soccer in the US is still a virgin compared to the corporate / collegiate money making whores / vampires of youth basketball and football in the US.

I'm so turned off by how the NCAA, AAU clubs and their sponsors rake in millions from their kiddie sweatshops.

I love how the European way is to emphasize technical skills and NOT necessarily stats and wins with youth development. I wonder how that type of system would work in the tri-state area where you see a lot of moms and dads getting a little too gung ho about their kids NOT getting playing time or teams NOT notching up enough wins.

I don't want to see youth soccer in the the US become as corrupt as college basketball and football is today. If you use club academies and promote all 3 divisions of US soccer correctly, there's absolutely no need for the NCAA at all (and kids can actually get paid and make a living playing soccer instead of getting raped by the NCAA).

With these development sides, I think you will see less pandering to the parents. If the parents get too gung-ho, little Johnny can play elsewhere. These should be the preeminent U sides in the metro region. They should be choosy.

What's this pay to play stuff? Do kids teams require serious cash in the US? Junior teams in the UK require subs of about £50 a season to cover costs of refs insurance and the like so technically I guess it's pay to play but the cost isn't really beyond anyone. Seems like a pretty messed up system if you're having to shell out big money so your kid can play sport.