NYCFC 2021 MLS Cup Champions

I read some of the comments, even after reading your warning. Really a massive waste of time on my part and I should have listened to you.

If other fans want to discount what we did this year, please do so with logic and reason, even if I disagree with it. But holy hell the complete discounting of our wins in penalties chalking them up to "luck" (and ignoring the fact that this team had to draw both of those incredible teams, including the best in MLS history ON THE ROAD) AND also ignoring the seemingly universally accepted fact that Portland's tying goal shouldn't have counted, and then bringing up "couldn't even get more than 1 point off Red Bulls, one idiot said this team was 22 points worse than New England as if everyone else also wasn't.

I'm sorry Mark. I should have listened to you.
Plus the sudden love for two-legged playoff rounds (which suck), where better teams supposedly never lose, lol, and respect for regular season points over playoffs (which is my preference but I lost that argument years ago so shut up). And the idea we would do worse against these teams if they had to also play a game in Yankee Stadium is insanity. We drew New England in Foxboro but they (and the Union!?) would have overcome that by handling us in YS. Lol2x.

We're not even the poster child for unlikely or unworthy cup winners. Seattle won the cup in 2016 with 48 points and zero SOGs in the final.

giphy.gif

Two MLS teams got trophies this year - New England and NYCFC.

I will entertain an argument that New England's is better in some respects.

I will not entertain an argument that ours is somehow false or non-existent.
I definitely think fans can value either one over the other and to each their own on that a bit (except Red Bull fans, shields mean nothing).

But what is clear to me, is which one the players/coaches value over the other.

So, I was successful in moving my work call from 11am to another time so that I could attend today.

Then, my boss called and ordered me to move it back.

So, I have a ticket and can't go. Not sure whether it will be easy to transfer, but PM me if you need it.

I definitely think fans can value either one over the other and to each their own on that a bit (except Red Bull fans, shields mean nothing).

But what is clear to me, is which one the players/coaches value over the other.
My feeling has always been that the Supporters' Shield is the most accurate determinant of the best team in the league, while the MLS Cup is the more prestigious trophy. The only exception might be in a year when the Supporters' Shield is extremely close and one of those teams goes on to win the Cup. That's rare, and certainly not the case this season.

In the end, all leagues have multiple trophies, and some are more prestigious than others. In England, an EPL team can win 3 cups, 2 of which are determined by a knockout playoff.

My feeling has always been that the Supporters' Shield is the most accurate determinant of the best team in the league, while the MLS Cup is the more prestigious trophy. The only exception might be in a year when the Supporters' Shield is extremely close and one of those teams goes on to win the Cup. That's rare, and certainly not the case this season.

In the end, all leagues have multiple trophies, and some are more prestigious than others. In England, an EPL team can win 3 cups, 2 of which are determined by a knockout playoff.
The difference though is that in England the teams play each other a fixed number of times. Here the east rarely plays the west, and the teams they play in the other conference aren't the same across all the eastern conference. Plus, some teams play each other three times and others twice. How can that be seen as a fair representation, say for a team that played cincinatti three times?

Maybe there should be an Eastern Supporter Shield and a Western Supporter Shield, because it doesn't make sense otherwise. It's like if people compared EPL points with La Liga points. Same number of games played, maybe we should combine their points to determine the "best spanish/english team"?

I read some of the comments, even after reading your warning. Really a massive waste of time on my part and I should have listened to you.

If other fans want to discount what we did this year, please do so with logic and reason, even if I disagree with it. But holy hell the complete discounting of our wins in penalties chalking them up to "luck" (and ignoring the fact that this team had to draw both of those incredible teams, including the best in MLS history ON THE ROAD) AND also ignoring the seemingly universally accepted fact that Portland's tying goal shouldn't have counted, and then bringing up "couldn't even get more than 1 point off Red Bulls, one idiot said this team was 22 points worse than New England as if everyone else also wasn't.

I'm sorry Mark. I should have listened to you.

As someone living in Philly now, I confirm the Philly salt is strong. They are all convinced with 100% certainty that they would have won it all with a full squad. The "luck" on penalties thing is extra galling to me because they played like a bunch of bunkering cowards at home against a sub-par Redbull team and the only way they won is from a lucky screamer of a goal from 22 yards out by their CB. Their entire system is luck, they bunker for 90 min and lob crappy crosses into the box in hopes that they can get one lucky goal. It works for them but it's some of the ugliest soccer I have ever seen. I can't wait to get some NYCFC Championship gear and wear it all around to soak up their tears.

Lets also not forget how the league handles international windows as opposed to other league's.

How many expected starts did we miss because of international duty this year? (SJ, Chanot, Callens, Sands) Not to mention the toll a tournament like the Gold Cup followed by a congested league schedule can have on a player like Sands.
Compare that number to NER, PHI, NSH?

The playoffs were largely insulated from this problem. Giving an equal, albeit higher variance assessment.

Semi-related: While I think the distraction and wear of international duty harmed our regular season, it certainly benefited our playoff run. James Sands played (and SJ was present for) a cup final just this past summer against Mexico in front of a massive crowd. That experience had to have helped him against Portland.

The difference though is that in England the teams play each other a fixed number of times. Here the east rarely plays the west, and the teams they play in the other conference aren't the same across all the eastern conference. Plus, some teams play each other three times and others twice. How can that be seen as a fair representation, say for a team that played cincinatti three times?

Maybe there should be an Eastern Supporter Shield and a Western Supporter Shield, because it doesn't make sense otherwise. It's like if people compared EPL points with La Liga points. Same number of games played, maybe we should combine their points to determine the "best spanish/english team"?
I know it won’t happen but I think they should split the conferences into 4 groups with a NE, SE, NW, SW conferences and get rid of the shield. Have the top two teams from each conference play in the play offs. I know the shield is historically a soccer trophy but with lack of parity the last few years you could argue it’s not an even playing field. I think they is a very strong argue this year in that the east didn’t play the west but two times each and Vice versa. You could argue the east had a lot more weaker teams than the west and that’s why the Revs ran away with the shield. Obviously that’s not the case because the Revs were a fantastic team with a great coach (that couldn’t get it done in the playoffs) and other than Toronto and Cincy I wouldn’t say the east we weak. I think the shield shows that that team was very strong all year but in the current format it’s not an accurate representation of the best team in the league without every team playing each other the same amount.

As someone living in Philly now, I confirm the Philly salt is strong. They are all convinced with 100% certainty that they would have won it all with a full squad. The "luck" on penalties thing is extra galling to me because they played like a bunch of bunkering cowards at home against a sub-par Redbull team and the only way they won is from a lucky screamer of a goal from 22 yards out by their CB. Their entire system is luck, they bunker for 90 min and lob crappy crosses into the box in hopes that they can get one lucky goal. It works for them but it's some of the ugliest soccer I have ever seen. I can't wait to get some NYCFC Championship gear and wear it all around to soak up their tears.
Remember that time that Philly didn't go to Penalties in the 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs? You don't? oh right

Portland and NE actually played soccer, not demolition derby. Philly went full RB in that game. This notion that Philly would have rocked us full strength - did people forget two weeks earlier they were up a man and a goal for almost 70 minutes and basically got outplayed? Enough of this asterisk sh*t.

I know it won’t happen but I think they should split the conferences into 4 groups with a NE, SE, NW, SW conferences and get rid of the shield. Have the top two teams from each conference play in the play offs. I know the shield is historically a soccer trophy but with lack of parity the last few years you could argue it’s not an even playing field. I think they is a very strong argue this year in that the east didn’t play the west but two times each and Vice versa. You could argue the east had a lot more weaker teams than the west and that’s why the Revs ran away with the shield. Obviously that’s not the case because the Revs were a fantastic team with a great coach (that couldn’t get it done in the playoffs) and other than Toronto and Cincy I wouldn’t say the east we weak. I think the shield shows that that team was very strong all year but in the current format it’s not an accurate representation of the best team in the league without every team playing each other the same amount.
I hate the way NFL and MLB do it, to be honest. I much prefer the big standings with two big conferences. Maybe it'll work as 4 conferences with 8 in each, but any less than that and I don't like the idea. Makes it really unfair for the worse teams in some of those conferences imo, if their best team dominates year-in, year-out. (imagine NW, seattle portland would essentially win and qualify every year over the last 6 years)

Reactions: CCMore
the discrediting only comes because nycfc won, if anyone else wins its fine. in like five years people will forget about the circumstances, like people all of a sudden forgot about seattle winning without a shot on goal.