NYCFC Academy - General Discussion

Don't think for a second that these results are going unnoticed.... That goal differential with zero allowed is ridiculous, especially for that age group.

it funny because everybody always talks about the RB academy as the best in the country, but in 4-5 years, our should be making serious waves. Either RB doesn't do a good job (i.e. it's simply a talent rich area) of attracting talent (since our players stayed with their home clubs before joining us and not going to RB) or they're not as enticing of an organization to play for (again, why'd the players stay with their home clubs instead of jumping) or quite simply these kids want to play for a club that represents their city and doesn't act like a complete & envious poser?

Don't think for a second that these results are going unnoticed.... That goal differential with zero allowed is ridiculous, especially for that age group.

it funny because everybody always talks about the RB academy as the best in the country, but in 4-5 years, our should be making serious waves. Either RB doesn't do a good job (i.e. it's simply a talent rich area) of attracting talent (since our players stayed with their home clubs before joining us and not going to RB) or they're not as enticing of an organization to play for (again, why'd the players stay with their home clubs instead of jumping) or quite simply these kids want to play for a club that represents their city and doesn't act like a complete & envious poser?

If you join the NYCFC academy you're directly linked to one of the top 8 clubs in the world in Man City. Aside from that sporting perspective, you're actually living and playing in New York City. You have the first team of Villa, Pirlo, Lampard, and those DPs down the line encouraging you. New Jersey sucks.

Are we certain that these games are against the same-age academy teams for Atleti and Madrid? I find it extraordinarily hard to believe that our team would dominate the comparable teams in those academies. They had a good fall season against local academy teams but nothing that would suggest they could be this strong against elite club teams. They've only been playing together for 6 months.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Are we certain that these games are against the same-age academy teams for Atleti and Madrid? I find it extraordinarily hard to believe that our team would dominate the comparable teams in those academies. They had a good fall season against local academy teams but nothing that would suggest they could be this strong against elite club teams. They've only been playing together for 6 months.

based on this its U-14 tourney but i think some of the nycfc squad may already be 15?

Reactions: Kjbert
The Academy team is a mix of U13 & U14 eligible players.

I checked in the past and a handful turn 15 during the first half of 2016. When is the birthday cutoff generally for these age classifications?

Also, a reminder that we are supposed to have a U12, U13, U14 and U15/16 team starting this fall. Exciting.

So does anyone know if other MLS teams academies travel like this for tournaments? I know we have some overlap in the "homegrown zone" with NJRB and I believe a little bit with Philly.

Having an academy that travels overseas for tournaments such as this and the one that was in South America recently has to be a great recruiting tool.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
So does anyone know if other MLS teams academies travel like this for tournaments? I know we have some overlap in the "homegrown zone" with NJRB and I believe a little bit with Philly.

Having an academy that travels overseas for tournaments such as this and the one that was in South America recently has to be a great recruiting tool.

a few MLS teams have gone to mexico in the copa chivas and i think a couple went to a youth tourney in Qatar i think or somewhere in the middle east. thats all i know.