NYCFC Academy - General Discussion

I think they've played together for more than 6 months. These are the same kids from last year. The goal of the academy starting out is to continue to promote the same kids to the next age group, creating that age group in the process with the one behind filling the letters shoes.
So when these get promoted to U-16 the group before them would take their spot.

They've only played together since the Fall. Prior to that they were all on teams at the various affiliates. They are a combined U13/U14 team, which means kids born no earlier than 8/1/01, so some of those kids will be turning 15 later this year.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
Are teams prevented from playing higher age groups? If our academy actually was performing at a higher level, theoretically, could our u14 team play in a u15 or u16 tourney? Other than older teams not wanting to be embarrassed, wouldn't this pit them against higher level competition?

Again, assuming we actually were that good and only suffered from lack of talented opposition.

In practice no - they are at the end of the day just friendly tournaments. However, entry is entirely invitational by the tournament's organisers; there's no application process to become a part, although I'm sure teams do do some canvassing to put their names into the hat. In many cases therefore, the organisers would probably argue that if they are seen inviting a u-14 team to a u-16 tournament then it will be seen as a sign that they couldn't find anyone better from the "right" age group - a bit like if you announced you were going to have a tournament from clubs from the NYC area and then invited teams from Boston and Philadelphia too. I suppose it's possible that some tournaments do have actual written self-imposed age guidelines, if only to avoid being challenged about their selection policy by other entrants in the event of a controversy.

I think there is also a tendency to avoid doing this on a team level, too, since the difference in physicality between u-14 and u-16 can be noticeable. You don't want the smallest boy on your team going home with his ankle in a cast because he was too slight to ride a challenge from the opposition's biggest two-years-older bruiser. Obviously the difference in physicality is simply an accepted part of football at the adult level, but at the younger levels you have to be seen to be protecting your kids to a certain extent at least. It's alright to promote one or two lads if they are clearly ready for the challenge but if you do it for an entire team then you're expecting all of your players to step up to the challenge, and there's always a handful who aren't ready for that.

Reyna is starting to emerge as a star, maybe not only in our academy, but possibly in the USSF realm, too. Anyone know if any of these kids have played on the national u13/14/15 teams?

Reactions: Kjbert
In practice no - they are at the end of the day just friendly tournaments. However, entry is entirely invitational by the tournament's organisers; there's no application process to become a part, although I'm sure teams do do some canvassing to put their names into the hat. In many cases therefore, the organisers would probably argue that if they are seen inviting a u-14 team to a u-16 tournament then it will be seen as a sign that they couldn't find anyone better from the "right" age group - a bit like if you announced you were going to have a tournament from clubs from the NYC area and then invited teams from Boston and Philadelphia too. I suppose it's possible that some tournaments do have actual written self-imposed age guidelines, if only to avoid being challenged about their selection policy by other entrants in the event of a controversy.

I think there is also a tendency to avoid doing this on a team level, too, since the difference in physicality between u-14 and u-16 can be noticeable. You don't want the smallest boy on your team going home with his ankle in a cast because he was too slight to ride a challenge from the opposition's biggest two-years-older bruiser. Obviously the difference in physicality is simply an accepted part of football at the adult level, but at the younger levels you have to be seen to be protecting your kids to a certain extent at least. It's alright to promote one or two lads if they are clearly ready for the challenge but if you do it for an entire team then you're expecting all of your players to step up to the challenge, and there's always a handful who aren't ready for that.
I guess this raises another question of how they manage promoting kids up ahead of their age group. Or perhaps it just means that (again, based on IF our academy is really better than other local competition) we win a lot of age appropriate tournaments handily but also play a number of 1 year difference friendlies. I.e., have our u14 play the Columbus u15, etc. This would challenge the team if they aren't getting the competitive experience they need from age appropriate tournaments.

It's not just about having the resources. If the talent of the graduates equated the money pumped in, teams would be pumping loads of their cash into their youth setup knowing that a couple of years later they'd be producing world beaters the likes of which they could never afford. Producing top-class youths is about so much more - the coaches, the organisation of the club, the style of play, but also the level of competition, the size of area recruited from, the culture of the players, the competitiveness of the games they play.

With the best will in the world, football is not one of those "do something 10,000 times and you become an expert" things - some people are just born naturally gifted at football and some are born destined to never be good enough, and you have to get lucky first of all and recruit someone with the ability to make it at the top - and it's not just about identifying the best young talent: I could name dozens of players who excelled at youth level and then struggled to even make it as a professional, while the likes of Jamie Vardy show that some players written off from a young age are actually extremely capable late-bloomers.

On top of that, you could have the next Messi but if he isn't playing teams better than his own he could turn out to just be an average second division player at 30 - in all sports you have to play someone better than you in order to learn from them, and competitive matches are all-important. If we dominate US academy football for decades it could all come to naught if the other teams are so bang average that they offer no growth for our own youths. This is, of course, why NYCFC is sending their kids off to Bolivia and Spain, but those are only one-off events and we need a continually high level of opposition.

In fewer words - you need the right conditions. Don't just assume that because our first-year guys are doing well it means we have the next Class of 92.

That's what I'm saying. Resources = time commitment, coaches, facilities, organizational structure and playing time. The commitment has been made to provide all of that and the money necessary to succeed.

Reactions: BxLio91
Reyna is starting to emerge as a star, maybe not only in our academy, but possibly in the USSF realm, too. Anyone know if any of these kids have played on the national u13/14/15 teams?

Reyna definitely has. I believe there is another one from our academy that has but his name escapes me.

Reyna definitely has. I believe there is another one from our academy that has but his name escapes me.
Yeah I thought so too. I looked quick but couldn't see any. I saw a couple kids from our affiliates but they're not on our academy team.

Some things to think about:
- Squabs never gave up a goal in the entire tournament. Either that speaks highly of our defense or of the quality of the opponents.
- We scored a lot having the top two goalscorer in the tournament. Gio won the golden boot if they give that out.
- Great experience for these kids and you get better from defeat even in such a terrible way. 2nd international tournament for a team that's only been together for 2 years.
- Our academy is going to be the best in America.

These kids got to play in the Champions League, sort of (listen with audio)

And this isn't our jersey, at all...

Some things to think about:
- Squabs never gave up a goal in the entire tournament. Either that speaks highly of our defense or of the quality of the opponents.
- We scored a lot having the top two goalscorer in the tournament. Gio won the golden boot if they give that out.
- Great experience for these kids and you get better from defeat even in such a terrible way. 2nd international tournament for a team that's only been together for 2 years.
- Our academy is going to be the best in America.

These kids got to play in the Champions League, sort of (listen with audio)

Lol the camera hitting the ball at the end.

Wish it was.

Mistaken post

Watch the video just above your comment. That actually is the kit the kids played in. The stripes are virtually impossible to make out, but you can see based on the badge, which clearly is not the NYCFC logo in the video, but does look like the one in that graphic. Also, you can just - just - make out in the video that the Adidas stripes end above the sleeve patch, but extend closer to it than the MLS kit stripes do.

Watch the video just above your comment. That actually is the kit the kids played in. The stripes are virtually impossible to make out, but you can see based on the badge, which clearly is not the NYCFC logo in the video, but does look like the one in that graphic. Also, you can just - just - make out in the video that the Adidas stripes end above the sleeve patch, but extend closer to it than the MLS kit stripes do.

False. Regular primary kit but with a different crest on the arm.

Screen Shot 2016-02-27 at 2.53.46 PM.png

Playing two games a day on back to back days caught up to them but still cool they went all the way, even if they lost on penalties. Excellent experience for the regardlesss.

I did notice Dallas cup Twitter was retweeting these tweets .....maybe they get an invite?

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert