NYCFC Academy - General Discussion

Reactions: Kjbert
Asked Claudio before the match when Gio's going to be the first homegrown player. He said that that's a while away.
So Claudio is counting in days or weeks?

Hope not. Michael Bradley (and others) was 16 when he signed with Metro. I'd like to think that Gio can make that leap too if he continues to develop on his current trajectory.

Hope not. Michael Bradley (and others) was 16 when he signed with Metro. I'd like to think that Gio can make that leap too if he continues to develop on his current trajectory.

True - but the league has changed in the 15ish years since then. And Gio is small.

True - but the league has changed in the 15ish years since then. And Gio is small.
Messi and Xavi would take issue with your last comment. Plus Gio still has 2 years to grow.

neat....i guess well see what happens when our first class will approach 18 see what happens....go to college or go to USL/ PDL? if they go to college can we still claim them as homegrown? or we lose them to the draft?

if they go to college can we still claim them as homegrown? or we lose them to the draft?

Based on a bunch of examples from this year, you can still claim college products as homegrown players. The Red Bulls did it with a bunch of guys, including Brandon Allen (RJ's brother). But, there are requirements regarding them having trained with the club during college. I think, Philadelphia, for example, lost Keegan Rosenberry because he didn't meet those requirements and had to pick him in the draft.

Disclaimer: I may have this all wrong. Or the rules may change between when I wrote it and when you read it because this is MLS.

Reactions: adam
Based on a bunch of examples from this year, you can still claim college products as homegrown players. The Red Bulls did it with a bunch of guys, including Brandon Allen (RJ's brother). But, there are requirements regarding them having trained with the club during college. I think, Philadelphia, for example, lost Keegan Rosenberry because he didn't meet those requirements and had to pick him in the draft.

Disclaimer: I may have this all wrong. Or the rules may change between when I wrote it and when you read it because this is MLS.

so if this is true then its very important to have a PDL team down the line

Reactions: Ulrich
so if this is true then its very important to have a PDL team down the line
Either that or maybe have the promising ones train with the first team while on break from college.

The Youth Affiliate Clubs are kind of a marketing scam. The kids at those clubs playing in U10 and U11 have absolutely no leg up on getting in to the Academy team. The NYCFC U10 affiliate league was very poorly run and, although the promise was made that NYCFC staff and scouts would regularly attend games, nobody I have spoken to ever saw one and if they were there, they never made their presence felt.

And anyway, the best 2005 and older kids will be playing in pre-academy leagues next year, not the NYCFC affiliate league.

The Youth Affiliate Clubs are kind of a marketing scam. The kids at those clubs playing in U10 and U11 have absolutely no leg up on getting in to the Academy team. The NYCFC U10 affiliate league was very poorly run and, although the promise was made that NYCFC staff and scouts would regularly attend games, nobody I have spoken to ever saw one and if they were there, they never made their presence felt.

And anyway, the best 2005 and older kids will be playing in pre-academy leagues next year, not the NYCFC affiliate league.

Leg up over whom though?

Sad to hear it wasn't super well run in year one. Hopefully it'll get better in the future.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich

Is this based on anything though? I mean, these kids are 9 years old, or 10. Would you expect the Mets to send someone to watch a bunch of 9-year-olds play ball in the western Queens church little league that plays up by the Con Ed fields north of Ditmars? If they happen to have a parent involved who knows someone in the Mets organization they'd be lucky to get a few bats donated and a bag of balls but I'd hardly be pissed off if they don't happen to send a scout over to watch the games.

There are approximately 4 million kids in the US who are 9 now* and maybe in 15 years 50 or 60 of them will be playing on a major league baseball team. Those are not good odds, and I'm not sure it's reasonable to complain about teams not sending scouts to watch all those kids.

If you're running a youth soccer league it'd be great to be involved somehow with NYCFC but I'm not sure I'd be expecting Claudio Reyna to come watch your games, at least not if his kid isn't on the team.

* Source: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?source=nav&i=number+of+people+who+are+9+years+old+in+the+US

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
Is this based on anything though? I mean, these kids are 9 years old, or 10. Would you expect the Mets to send someone to watch a bunch of 9-year-olds play ball in the western Queens church little league that plays up by the Con Ed fields north of Ditmars? If they happen to have a parent involved who knows someone in the Mets organization they'd be lucky to get a few bats donated and a bag of balls but I'd hardly be pissed off if they don't happen to send a scout over to watch the games.

There are approximately 4 million kids in the US who are 9 now* and maybe in 15 years 50 or 60 of them will be playing on a major league baseball team. Those are not good odds, and I'm not sure it's reasonable to complain about teams not sending scouts to watch all those kids.

If you're running a youth soccer league it'd be great to be involved somehow with NYCFC but I'm not sure I'd be expecting Claudio Reyna to come watch your games, at least not if his kid isn't on the team.

* Source: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?source=nav&i=number+of+people+who+are+9+years+old+in+the+US
please please, no citations, we don't need to set a precedent of supporting our opinions with real numbers.