NYCFC Confirm Departure of PV. Nice Confirm Arrival of PV as Manager.

What bugs me about the timing of this is that Nice is a mid-table club that Vieira has no previous connection to. If he was leaving for the France job, for Arsenal, for PSG, Barca or similar, I'd understand the timing.

Between the end of the MLS season and the end of the European season, they'll be at least a dozen openings similar to or better than Nice.

But he jumped at the first thing he saw.

Last edited:
Reactions: canchon and Ulrich
How is it not flattering or reassuring? They are sending an assistant coach from one of the best teams in the world to coach our team.

If they had hired Jurgen Klopp's assistant, would we be singing the same tune? Does he have Tata Martino's resume? No. But he has a pretty impressive resume. On short notice, they needed to find someone who would continue to implement our systems because you can't change that in the middle of a season. This is a pretty good solution for that.

THIS.

We're hiring a guy who is the assistant on a Top 5 side in the world.

What if we hired an assistant from Bayern or Barcelona or Madrid? Would people still be whining?

What bugs me about the timing of this is that Nice is a mid-table club that Vieira has no previous connection to. If he was leaving for the France job, for Arsenal, for PSG, Barca or similar, I'd understand the timing.

Between the end of the MLS season and the end of the European season, they'll be at least a dozen openings similar to or better than Nice.

I'm not sure that's entirely fair. In the EPL alone there's been seven new vacancies since the start of the year.

I've honestly got no idea where this notion has come from that you should turn down a promotion until the time is right for your current employer. Even I wouldn't do that for crying out loud.

His wife & family wants the beach in the south of France?

I'm not sure that's entirely fair. In the EPL alone there's been seven new vacancies since the start of the year.

I've honestly got no idea where this notion has come from that you should turn down a promotion until the time is right for your current employer. Even I wouldn't do that for crying out loud.
Also think that at this time he wasn't going to get a job from a top club if they are keeping close tabs on him. His inability to make adjustments at times was going to hinder his opportunities in Europe greatly. I think Nice is probably a good landing spot just because he won't face the pressure of finishing at the top 4-5 in a league or possibly winning it. He'll have time to work on making adjustments unless he's absolutely struggling, which I don't think will happen because he's a good coach. He's just not a great coach.

Your first sentence seems to support what I'm saying.

What you say about a promotion is generally true, but not for contractual employees, and "a better company" is not generally regarded as a promotion that you step aside for.

Your first sentence seems to support what I'm saying.

What you say about a promotion is generally true, but not for contractual employees, and "a better company" is not generally regarded as a promotion that you step aside for.

I meant you can hardly accuse him of jumping for the first thing he saw when multiple other opportunities presented themselves before this one.

Anyway, I'm sure when we agree a deal for Gregg Berhalter to replace PV we'll all be extremely understanding when he says he can't join until November lest he offends the guys back in Columbus.

He didn't' jump at the first thing he saw. He was offered a job last year and rejected it.

I think you have a drastically inflated understanding of our club and MLS's place in world football. Is there even a single manager in MLS history that has moved from directly MLS to a team in one of the top five leagues?

Sucks about the timing but this is a consequence of MLS decided to organize its calendar the way that it does. This was a known risk the first day we hired Vieria. It will happen again in the future.

To say that you would only be ok with this move if Vieria went to one of the best managerial positions in all of football is crazy.

Dude... OGC Nice is just about the right level. No bigger job was going to make an offer anytime soon. Again, he's never won anything as a manager. He's a legendary player who mostly got a relatively well rostered MLS side to usually play competent football...

Dude... OGC Nice is just about the right level. No bigger job was going to make an offer anytime soon. Again, he's never won anything as a manager. He's a legendary player who mostly got a relatively well rostered MLS side to usually play competent football...

Yeah, if Arsenal wasn't going to consider him for the job when he can't land at a top 4 club anywhere in Europe, er 6.

Reactions: Kjbert
Anyone care to guess how many top 4 league job vacancies were created between November 1, 2017 and February 1, 2018?

Ligue Un: 6
Bundesliga: 4
EPL: 5
La Liga: 5

And there were quite a few on the edges of that arbitrary date range.