NYCFC in the Media Thread - 2017

Lengthy criticism of NYCFC's media relations linked below. I don't have any insight to the reporter's angle, but if our coverage in paid media lacks anything for me, it's insightful tactical analysis, not more player quotes

https://www.reddit.com/r/MLS/commen...up_with_nycfcs_comms/?st=j4oa4e2r&sh=461f91e9
Two things I noticed from this guy's post:

1) he notes MLS policy that locker rooms are available to the press for 15 minutes after final whistle and then notes that PV's press conference is often not started until 30 minutes after final whistle. So that when it's over, players are often gone. And then that reporters need to make a decision between the two....

Is there something I'm missing here or just don't understand? Couldn't reporters go to the locker room and then the press conference?

2) this is a bit subtle, and maybe I'm reaching here, but I somewhat get the feeling that this guy has a bit of a slant to RB. For example, when referring to David Villa, that's all he says, "David Villa", nothing else. Which is fine.

But then he talks about the RB players... "reigning MLS Golden Boot winner Bradley Wright-Phillips, legendary goalkeeper Luis Robles, and captain Sacha Kljestan"

Maybe this really isn't much, and I'm just looking too hard into it, but it's odd at the least, especially with all of the titles you could give for David (reigning MVP, captain, World Cup winner, champions league winner, MLS all-star, etc etc)

1) he notes MLS policy that locker rooms are available to the press for 15 minutes after final whistle and then notes that PV's press conference is often not started until 30 minutes after final whistle. So that when it's over, players are often gone. And then that reporters need to make a decision between the two....

Is there something I'm missing here or just don't understand? Couldn't reporters go to the locker room and then the press conference?

2) this is a bit subtle, and maybe I'm reaching here, but I somewhat get the feeling that this guy has a bit of a slant to RB. For example, when referring to David Villa, that's all he says, "David Villa", nothing else. Which is fine.

But then he talks about the RB players... "reigning MLS Golden Boot winner Bradley Wright-Phillips, legendary goalkeeper Luis Robles, and captain Sacha Kljestan"

Maybe this really isn't much, and I'm just looking too hard into it, but it's odd at the least, especially with all of the titles you could give for David (reigning MVP, captain, World Cup winner, champions league winner, MLS all-star, etc etc)

No, I noticed the same thing. Especially since he was trying too hard with "legendary" Luis Robles.

This also made my eyes roll...
"At Yankee Stadium, in a corner of a basement bereft of any life or character, sits the NYCFC dressing room."

Anyone want to guess who it was? Fishkin or someone of his ilk, I'd guess.

This comes across like a very thinly (and poorly) veiled attempt to distract from the successes we are enjoying. Wag the dog strategy from some overzealous RBNJ blogger (and no, blogger isn't a criticism).

ETA: to be clear, the rest of it is definitely a criticism.

Last edited:
Thanks, the check is in the mail.
I just think when people say "some blogger" or whatever, that it's bullshit. Modern media is pretty much bloggers or subscription based stuff buffet style. For better and worse, it's either read people who make clear what audience they serve or those who obfuscate it.

The whole thing is absurd. SoupInNYC SoupInNYC makes excellent points. Yes, Vieira starts talking about the same time the players lockers opens.

We addressed that by having two people. It's not an evil plan, the players want to go home. The only time a player hasn't wanted to talk to me is when they made a big mistake and they're still rattled, which has happened once.

I've absolutely called out the team in the past. But they've gotten a lot better.

At the end of the day the players and team staff are employees of a business. Just like a chef won't keep the restaurant open because me and my friends want some pasta, the team won't go out of their way to accommodate others when they don't have to.

Would I love to be ESPN and get access to everyone whenever I wanted? Sure. Just like I'd love to be a good critic and eat whenever and wherever I want.

It just comes off and whining because you (the anonymous Redditor) didn't get your way.

Can't be Fishkin. He said he was part of a real media operation.

Maybe Ives?

Can't be Fishkin. He said he was part of a real media operation.

Maybe Ives?
He's also semi-delusional, extremely opinionated, acts entitled, and is generally a dbag with his comments. His idea of a real media operation could be his iPhone.

I say that because anybody covering a team shouldn't also act as their cheerleader and not own up to it if skewed that way.

Last edited:
We could probably find this out with a little sleuthing. How many people got press credentials to that match? Narrow it down from there

Reactions: Ulrich
Here's my take on all of this. We're run the same way that Man City is run, to the standards of a top level Premier League club. None of our PR team has experience in American sports, so they don't know what it's like in the NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB, or MLS. On top of that, there aren't a lot of great outlets that cover the league, or better the team consistently, so it's up to those select outlets that have the widest access and the team's internal media department to do the job.

Dan and I have both met Sam Cooke (the VP of Communications) who was brought over from Manchester and can both attest to him being an utter d*ckhead with no real interest in supporter relations.

Dan and I have both met Sam Cooke (the VP of Communications) who was brought over from Manchester and can both attest to him being an utter d*ckhead with no real interest in supporter relations.

He should have no real interest in supporter relations. His job is media relations.

Reactions: Kjbert
Once again it is time to embrace the soothing comfort of both/and. Is the Reddit anonymous poster a tool or is NYCFC media run by a d*ckhead?
Both/and.

He should have no real interest in supporter relations. His job is media relations.

The press might like to try to deny it, but the point of media is not to feed the journalist circlejerk over who has the best scoops and who can influence the most people into changing their opinions to blandly mimic their favourite newspaper, it's actually to supply information to the public. Not all media relations have to be done through accredited sources, and not all relations through accredited sources has to be aimed at the national press. If his PR management is actively cold-shouldering the club's fans then he has a problem (or perhaps, he IS the problem?)

I know everyone hates Doyle, but right now he is not only in love with NYCFC's play, but he is fully in sync with this forum:

"This is going to bother folks because they just lost last night and kiiiiinda fell apart once Yangel Herrera had to come off injured. So far they've been a cut below their best when he's not around, and their relative lack of depth compared to a couple of the other teams in this top tier is my biggest concern with this group.
But hot damn is their upside, when clicking, sky high."

Also, "people are maaaaybe sleeping on how good the Ring/Herrera/Moralez central midfield trio is when they're all together. They have a claim on 'best in the league.'"

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017...ntenders-hunt-all-22-mls-teams-tier-revisited

Last edited:
I know everyone hates Doyle, but right now he is not only in love with NYCFC's play, but he is fully in sync with this forum:

"This is going to bother folks because they just lost last night and kiiiiinda fell apart once Yangel Herrera had to come off injured. So far they've been a cut below their best when he's not around, and their relative lack of depth compared to a couple of the other teams in this top tier is my biggest concern with this group.
But hot damn is their upside, when clicking, sky high."

Also, "people are maaaaybe sleeping on how good the Ring/Herrera/Moralez central midfield trio is when they're all together. They have a claim on 'best in the league.'"

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017...ntenders-hunt-all-22-mls-teams-tier-revisited
I mean, he probably reads the Forums for his material. He's always behind the curve on his analysis of NYCFC.

Reactions: Kjbert
I think his analysis is spot on. We have the best 3 man midfield in MLS right now. They fit perfectly together. Ring as a 6, Herrera bombing forward but clogging up the middle of the field and Moralez with the free reign to roam and start a counter.

Take ONE of those guys out and it doesn't work. I'm still not convinced Maxi Moralez is a $3 Million player but, if healthy, he was the missing link-up piece to our offense.

Problem is that we don't have a Plan B to win any other way. I'm happy with how we play. I want to watch beautiful soccer. But sometimes, PV can be too stubborn. When we are missing Herrera or Ring or Moralez, maybe we need to change formation. Maybe a park the bus 4-4-2 would be more appropriate with Okoli up top to hold up play. My two cents.

Take ONE of those guys out and it doesn't work. I'm still not convinced Maxi Moralez is a $3 Million player but, if healthy, he was the missing link-up piece to our offense.
More important question, do you think Maxi is a $2 million player?

Reactions: Ulrich