NYCFC in the Media Thread - 2017

Interview with Pirlo on Football Italia regarding plans after next season. Mlssoccer.com also posted a link of an interview with Pirlo on same website with a warning to Euro players about MLS being competitive and "not an easy ride". Also had some kind words for Giovinco.

Glad to see our two DPs are strong proponents of our league. Reminds us that not only do we want to bring star players to our team, but also bring in the right players as well.

Interview with Pirlo on Football Italia regarding plans after next season. Mlssoccer.com also posted a link of an interview with Pirlo on same website with a warning to Euro players about MLS being competitive and "not an easy ride". Also had some kind words for Giovinco.

Glad to see our two DPs are strong proponents of our league. Reminds us that not only do we want to bring star players to our team, but also bring in the right players as well.
No doubt that Villa's and Pirlo's hearts are in it and they haven't come for a money-grab. If Khedira comes, he's young enough to really turn heads, and hopefully he'd be as outspoken as they are.

Let's get this into a meme...

C2e6aCJUAAAaCYB.jpg:large

I believe last year that Villa, Pirlo, and Lampard were at MLS Media Day 2016.

One year later it's Villa and Harrison. The MLS MVP and the 1st Pick of the 2016 Draft, and no Pirlo. Youth movement.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
Last edited:
This is really, really entertaining stuff:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/play-pro-soccer-players-talk/id1090089682?mt=2&i=1000380435627

Latest Play podcast (one of howler's offerings). They talk about Pirlo as a 6. Mikey Stephens and George John are Bobby's guests. They try to get George to tell off on the NYC lockerroom under kreis.

I don't want to offer my interpretation of George's comments and lack their of until I see what some other folks think.
It was an entertaining listen. I listened to that bit at the end a few times trying to read between the lines. I think it is pretty clear he was intimating it was not a harmonious locker room, which won't surprise anyone. The harder question is where he was laying blame. Ultimately, I decided he was less than impressed with the DPs, though there's an embittered edginess generally relating to being a fringe guy in the league that comes from all through three of the participants throughout.

Did I miss some public statement where PV said he was using Pirlo as the 6 this year? I think a lot of the considerations arise whether he is a pure 6 like he was at the start of last year or even if he is pushed up in front of a holder like he was for most of last year and the discussion is therefore just as valid, but was wondering if I missed something. Warshaw mentioned it several times.

It was an entertaining listen. I listened to that bit at the end a few times trying to read between the lines. I think it is pretty clear he was intimating it was not a harmonious locker room, which won't surprise anyone. The harder question is where he was laying blame. Ultimately, I decided he was less than impressed with the DPs, though there's an embittered edginess generally relating to being a fringe guy in the league that comes from all through three of the participants throughout.

Did I miss some public statement where PV said he was using Pirlo as the 6 this year? I think a lot of the considerations arise whether he is a pure 6 like he was at the start of last year or even if he is pushed up in front of a holder like he was for most of last year and the discussion is therefore just as valid, but was wondering if I missed something. Warshaw mentioned it several times.
Yeah, I was thinking the "Pirlo is our 6" stuff was something PV said last year. At the beginning, Bobby said it came from Blue City Radio when he was a guest last week(?). I must have missed that episode, but I wonder if there isn't some conflating of things going on by BCR and/or Bobby.

Of course, I have a(nother) bone to pick with thesauerchise's host, anyway, since he said Jermaine Jones is "a terrible player". Can't be sure, but I think Jon almost dropped his mic. He definitely let it hang there for a while.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/nycfc-aging-stars-vieira-system-tactics-pirlo-lampard-villa

Reactions: Kjbert

Forgot to reply to the GJ comments.
I kind of thought that, BUT...
it's interesting and maybe telling that before they asked GJ for specifics, there were a lot of more general comments about how players and coaches can and should handle DPs.

One of the guys, when talking about coaches who wouldn't/couldn't correct DPs, made the comment "then, you just have a bad coach." And they also go on to discuss how PV probably has the gravitas to do better than most.

eta: George was also quick with his answer that he thought playing CB behind Pirlo would be great, so that kind of goes against your interpretation. Bottom line is that it's really hard to take anything concrete out of it. Even his "Unfortunately, he was fired" and "you don't win enough, you get fired", etc., could all be interpreted in different ways.