NYCFC in the Media Thread - 2017

Reactions: Kjbert
Forgot to reply to the GJ comments.
I kind of thought that, BUT...
it's interesting and maybe telling that before they asked GJ for specifics, there were a lot of more general comments about how players and coaches can and should handle DPs.

One of the guys, when talking about coaches who wouldn't/couldn't correct DPs, made the comment "then, you just have a bad coach." And they also go on to discuss how PV probably has the gravitas to do better than most.

eta: George was also quick with his answer that he thought playing CB behind Pirlo would be great, so that kind of goes against your interpretation. Bottom line is that it's really hard to take anything concrete out of it. Even his "Unfortunately, he was fired" and "you don't win enough, you get fired", etc., could all be interpreted in different ways.
True - he was positive about what it would be like to play with Pirlo as a player. Hopefully someday someone will crack and we will get the real story. Ideally Mix so that he can solve the other great team mystery in the same tell-all.

Pirlo was a 6 with Juve but in a 4-3-1-2. Play him behind a gamebreaker (Harrison?) and put two athletic CMs who are willing to track back. Ofori and Khedira would be perfect. Or Camargo and Harrison.

I read the illustrious Mr. 226's question as asking if it was said about last year. Withdrawn if that's not the case.
Sorry - imprecise wording on my part! I recall him saying it last year and then abandoning the approach after a terrible match in Columbus in April. Interview made it sound like he'd said it again, which would have surprised me.

Reactions: joe
This is really, really entertaining stuff:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/play-pro-soccer-players-talk/id1090089682?mt=2&i=1000380435627

Latest Play podcast (one of howler's offerings). They talk about Pirlo as a 6. Mikey Stephens and George John are Bobby's guests. They try to get George to tell off on the NYC lockerroom under kreis.

I don't want to offer my interpretation of George's comments and lack thereof until I see what some other folks think.

Jason Hernandez likes to party.

Anyone who told David Villa what to do was traded. (Or sent packing to wind up in Orlando...)

You do what Pirlo says.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
Yeah, I was thinking the "Pirlo is our 6" stuff was something PV said last year. At the beginning, Bobby said it came from Blue City Radio when he was a guest last week(?). I must have missed that episode, but I wonder if there isn't some conflating of things going on by BCR and/or Bobby.

Of course, I have a(nother) bone to pick with thesauerchise thesauerchise's host, anyway, since he said Jermaine Jones is "a terrible player". Can't be sure, but I think Jon almost dropped his mic. He definitely let it hang there for a while.
I'm not gonna act like I'm a jones defender, but terrible is a strong term to me. He was the best US player in 2014 World Cup, and certainly helped the Rapids/Revs. It definitely had me off guard

A lot of press in the Post lately. This guy Kyle Schnitzer has written 4 articles in 5 days on us and it's pre-season! And that doesn't count our mentions the Barclays/Isles saga, where the Post actually said City Hall said a soccer stadium is more likely at WP. Is this guy our new beat writer? Can we expect at least an article a week? That would be nice. Feel more like a real pro sports team.

EDIT: And reading what he writes, he really seems to know his stuff and has player access, even if that was just a call into Villa he's quoting. It's not just a token mention to say they wrote something, I'm optimistic here.

Last edited:
A lot of press in the Post lately. This guy Kyle Schnitzer has written 4 articles in 5 days on us and it's pre-season! And that doesn't count our mentions the Barclays/Isles saga, where the Post actually said City Hall said a soccer stadium is more likely at WP. Is this guy our new beat writer? Can we expect at least an article a week? That would be nice. Feel more like a real pro sports team.

EDIT: And reading what he writes, he really seems to know his stuff and has player access, even if that was just a call into Villa he's quoting. It's not just a token mention to say they wrote something, I'm optimistic here.

“[Players] want to know about the league,” Villa said. “Players in Europe and around the world want to play in this league.”

"League of Choice" - Don Garber

This is really, really entertaining stuff:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/play-pro-soccer-players-talk/id1090089682?mt=2&i=1000380435627

Latest Play podcast (one of howler's offerings). They talk about Pirlo as a 6. Mikey Stephens and George John are Bobby's guests. They try to get George to tell off on the NYC lockerroom under kreis.

I don't want to offer my interpretation of George's comments and lack thereof until I see what some other folks think.

Thanks for the heads up on this. Finally listened to it last night. In addition to the fascinating Pirlo as 6 discussion (the entire episode is devoted to this), a lot of the digressions are laugh out loud funny. George John, party animal