NYCFC in the Media Thread - 2017

Manager: Heineken wants a soccer theme for their display.
Stock Guy: Did they provide any art work?
Manager: No.
Stock Guy: Did they give any specifics?
Manager: "Make it cryptic," it says.
Stock Guy: I'm on it!
So, we can keep this up until at least Halloween, right?

Definitely.

Listening to the Toronto FC show on Sportnet 590 (http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/tfc-pitchside/) in Canada and the two hosts are highlighting their favorite offseason moves. As their two #1, one picked Maxi and one picked Sean Johnson. I have no idea how knowledgeable these guys actually are, but it was nice to find one show that doesn't just dump on us for sport because its popular.

Listening to the Toronto FC show on Sportnet 590 (http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/tfc-pitchside/) in Canada and the two hosts are highlighting their favorite offseason moves. As their two #1, one picked Maxi and one picked Sean Johnson. I have no idea how knowledgeable these guys actually are, but it was nice to find one show that doesn't just dump on us for sport because its popular.
It's probably cause they are Canadian, they are just tooo darn nice

i was just looking at WFAN cause i wanted to put a face to some of the names i listen to for years, and after scrolling down and down and down after each segment for personalities they started listing ny teams and eventually dead last i saw NYCFC as a (small but nontheless) category. Anywho, they write articles on the team every so often http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/02/24/nycfc-patrick-vieira-maxi-moralez-david-villa-andrea-pirlo/ nice to know we are a blip on the radar as opposed to completely off the map.

i was just looking at WFAN cause i wanted to put a face to some of the names i listen to for years, and after scrolling down and down and down after each segment for personalities they started listing ny teams and eventually dead last i saw NYCFC as a (small but nontheless) category. Anywho, they write articles on the team every so often http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/02/24/nycfc-patrick-vieira-maxi-moralez-david-villa-andrea-pirlo/ nice to know we are a blip on the radar as opposed to completely off the map.

They are technically our local team station.

Reactions: Kjbert
They are technically our local team station.
They do mention the scores of our matches (and NJRB) in their news updates but that's pretty much it. I've not heard one single call about the team, and I've heard a few of the hosts say they wouldn't even bother to talk about soccer because after all nobody cares (partially true but nonetheless...).

In other words, not a ton of support there.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
They do mention the scores of our matches (and NJRB) in their news updates but that's pretty much it. I've not heard one single call about the team, and I've heard a few of the hosts say they wouldn't even bother to talk about soccer because after all nobody cares (partially true but nonetheless...).

In other words, not a ton of support there.

I said "technically"

Reactions: Kjbert and Seth
Nice article from Doyle on tactics for the coming season. Kind of short, but some good stuff. Includes some stats around our attempt to play from the back.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/02/27/armchair-analyst-tactical-state-mls-heading-2017
Since many here refuse to read Doyle, I'll pull out the most quirky, interesting numbers: not only did we lead the league in passes in our own half and completed passes in our own half, but we completed more passes in our own half than every team in the league attempted, except for Columbus and Seattle. Since every team completes about 85-90% of own-half passes that's not quite as crazy as it sounds at first, but it does help emphasize how differently we played from everyone else. Our passing accuracy in the back half was 88.05% which seems kind of middle of the pack. The table is not sortable.

Last edited:
I wonder how many of those crappy passes were made by players who aren't here? I'm sure someone could quantify the passes that weren't completed by Mena, Saunders and Hernandez?

I wonder how many of those crappy passes were made by players who aren't here? I'm sure someone could quantify the passes that weren't completed by Mena, Saunders and Hernandez?
Can we claim any passes not completed were clearances?

Reactions: Kjbert
Thanks to adam adam for letting me know you can just copy/paste the Doyle table into Excel and even sending me one he made himself. Bottom line is we were 9th in passing accuracy in our own end. Just above median and basically middle of the pack as I thought.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
Thanks to adam adam for letting me know you can just copy/paste the Doyle table into Excel and even sending me one he made himself. Bottom line is we were 9th in passing accuracy in our own end. Just above median and basically middle of the pack as I thought.

But maybe not so bad for a team that does so much passing in that part of the field (you know, with diminishing margins of return on a factor and what not).

Yeah, I have a few issues with this article.

1. Clint Irwin cracks the top 10 keepers. The guy isn't talented. Not sure how Ousted or Frei aren't on there instead of him
  2. I don't get how Harrison Afful doesn't crack the top 10 fullbacks. The guy is talented, and when Kamara was there for him to provide service to, he produced. I also prefer Joevin Jones to Brad Evans on Seattle.
  3. Midfielders - as much as I hate NJ, how is Kljestan not #1? And even worse, he's #7? I know Pirlo does a lot for us, but he hasn't been more productive than Kljestan, McCarty, or Nagbe. And get Bedoya out of there.
  4. I actually do think the Attacking Midfielders/Forwards category is well done.
  5. Zusi is no longer a winger.
I know these exercises always leave somebody somewhere critiquing what they put together, but I feel as though the above are somewhat simple. I probably would have some additional gripes about this if I thought about this more, but I don't have the time for that.

Additionally, they included Guzan in the GK's list and Garza on the FBs, but it doesn't look like they included any other newcomers elsewhere. I would imagine one of the Atlanta DPs should crack the list somewhere and I would think that Honda is a better winger than Lloyd Sam.