NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

Someone did raise that here. I think Gotham Gator Gotham Gator. I didn't think it was permissible, but I guess it is. I do think we are limited in our ability to loan out to a sister club as league rules provide we'd still be charged with the full salary.

Yes, that was me, but I just mentioned it because I had seen a quote about LA doing it. The problem with LA is that they not only have 3 DPs now, but are supposed to have NDJ get paid as one next year, so a sign-and-loan byitself won't help them.

Regardless of what people here are saying, the Club is certainly aware of what they can and cannot do, and I'm sure if they want Ibrahimovic, they will work on it.

Reactions: Kjbert
Still not against bringing Mario Balotelli to revive his career. He did have a bad injury plagued season but he is 25 and look at what Drogba has done.
2 goals in 36 league games over 2 years...

I think Balotelli would be fun to have here but I don't think Vieira will go for it.

Reactions: Gene and Kjbert
If Zlatan only wants NYC or LA and it's clear we can't move any of the DPs (Lampard :mad: ), Donny G at the league office is not going to tell Zlatan to go fly a kite in China. We will either see the addition of a fourth DP spot or see DP spots become tradable IMO.

I only think there are two viable scenarios at play where Zlatan ends up in MLS.

1) He joins Seattle, which has been the rumor for 5 months or so
2) LAFC sign him and loan him to Man United

If Zlatan only wants NYC or LA and it's clear we can't move any of the DPs (Lampard :mad: ), Donny G at the league office is not going to tell Zlatan to go fly a kite in China. We will either see the addition of a fourth DP spot or see DP spots become tradable IMO.

Lampard recognizes his faults since coming with CFG and renegotiates his contract to take the league minimum.

Still not against bringing Mario Balotelli to revive his career. He did have a bad injury plagued season but he is 25 and look at what Drogba has done.

I'd be all for it. He is young and PV may be the perfect influence on him. He's capable of killing it here...but he's such a high risk player. I think they want someone that's more of a guarantee after this Lampard fiasco.

I root for Balotelli. The dude has talent and does get a bad rep..but a lot of it is his own doing and deserved.

I'd be all for it. He is young and PV may be the perfect influence on him. He's capable of killing it here...but he's such a high risk player. I think they want someone that's more of a guarantee after this Lampard fiasco.

I root for Balotelli. The dude has talent and does get a bad rep..but a lot of it is his own doing and deserved.
If he came here, we might as well have an MTV reality show at the same time... Talented, Rich, and Rock Bottom.

Reactions: NickA
The only way Fat Frank could come close to redeem himself here is to fucking retire and let us use our goddamn DP spot on a Giovinco type player.

The only way Fat Frank could come close to redeem himself here is to fucking retire and let us use our goddamn DP spot on a Giovinco type player.

The only other way is if he is a significant part of our quest towards claiming the American Treble (Open Cup, Supporter Shield, MLS Cup).

Reactions: Sabo and Kjbert
What was Giovinco's story before coming over here? Was he a guarantee, or did TO get lucky? I'm sure every team wants a giovinco type player, is it just a matter of splashing the cash?

What was Giovinco's story before coming over here? Was he a guarantee, or did TO get lucky? I'm sure every team wants a giovinco type player, is it just a matter of splashing the cash?
I don't think he had quite the reputation before coming over- pretty sure he was at best a bench player. So it may have been that no other MLS team had him on their radar and it was an easy signing.

Reactions: Kjbert
I'm sure there are others here who watch Serie A closely who can answer with more precision, but I think that, during his last two years, he was sort of a squad player on Juventus, who has won the last 4-5 titles. He was also on the fringe of the Italian team. So, I think it was considered a big coup that TFC got him and there was a fair bit of hype, but I also think it is fair to say that he has exceeded expectations.

I'm sure there are others here who watch Serie A closely who can answer with more precision, but I think that, during his last two years, he was sort of a squad player on Juventus, who has won the last 4-5 titles. He was also on the fringe of the Italian team. So, I think it was considered a big coup that TFC got him and there was a fair bit of hype, but I also think it is fair to say that he has exceeded expectations.
Giovinco was a hyped player who never lived up to the expectations. He was a fringe player on Juve and the hype got him a couple calls to the national team. He reminds me of Mix with us....a lot of hype but lack of on field results so far

Reactions: Ulrich
I don't think he had quite the reputation before coming over- pretty sure he was at best a bench player. So it may have been that no other MLS team had him on their radar and it was an easy signing.

This is sort of true. When you say "at best a bench player" you have to remember that was for the best team in Italy. And even at that, he still played quite a few matches for them, notching 20 appearances his final season there. He was out of favor though the last couple years. In 2012-2013, Giovinco started 25 Serie A matches for Juventus and came off the bench in 8 of them also starting 4 UCL games and coming off the bench for three of em. The season prior to that, he started every single game for Parma and by most accounts was their best player.

Sooooo in conclusion, he probably wasn't good enough overall to be a starter for a Juventus type squad, but I'd bet good money he could easily have started for Inter or Fiorentina.

This is sort of true. When you say "at best a bench player" you have to remember that was for the best team in Italy. And even at that, he still played quite a few matches for them, notching 20 appearances his final season there. He was out of favor though the last couple years. In 2012-2013, Giovinco started 25 Serie A matches for Juventus and came off the bench in 8 of them also starting 4 UCL games and coming off the bench for three of em. The season prior to that, he started every single game for Parma and by most accounts was their best player.

Sooooo in conclusion, he probably wasn't good enough overall to be a starter for a Juventus type squad, but I'd bet good money he could easily have started for Inter or Fiorentina.

He'd definitely still be one of the top players in a bunch of Serie A teams.

Probably similar in situation to Götze at Bayern, being an incredibly skilled player that couldn't breakthrough the bench due to not fitting into the system, coach not liking him, injuries, or some mix of this. Except Gio didn't score a World cup winning goal, so his name wasn't as well known to followers outside of Serie A before coming here.

Sorry, I didn't meant to slight him, because he is a very good player, but he never had the breakout for Juventus that solidified a spot for him. The bench description was purely related to his then situation with Juve.

Reactions: dannd23

Great post. Being a bench player for Juve during that time period isn't that much different than being a bench player for Bayern or PSG the last couple of years. It was a VERY deep squad with some historic talent around him.

The ironic thing about his move to MLS is that, with the squad changes experienced over the last year at Juve, if he had stuck around, he would have seen a lot of the field this year. Morata, Cuadrado and Mandzukic have been up and down. Dybala has been a revelation.

Reactions: Schwallacus