NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

I'm with NYCFCfan NYCFCfan - go spend a few bucks for a guy that wouldn't crack the line-up at Man City. I know that we're going to be second fiddle. But go get a guy like a Nasri, Dzeko, Jovetic - players in their prime who won't make the squad at Man City. Go spend $10 Million on a guy like Rooney to bring him stateside a year early.

I really wish CFG would splash some cash on NYCFC in January. They're spending ludicrous amounts on players who they then loan out in Manchester and yet we have to rely on free transfers.

Despite CFG's touted financial prowess, NYCFC has yet to pay a 7 figure transfer fee. Yes we've managed to sign big names but surely living in NYC helped, Villa, Pirlo and Lampard were all free transfers. I'm aware we're still very early on into franchise history so this can change soon.

I'm really hoping they drop at least a million on our next big name acquisition. If Pirlo and/or Lampard retire I don't want to see us looking around to see who's available on a free. CFG have the money, spend some of it here please! End of my mini rant.

Has any MLS team paid a transfer fee of that nature? Don't the roster rules prevent such a deal from being made?

Transfer fees get amortized over the life of the contract. So, if you are paying a big transfer fee, you are by definition bringing in a DP.

We are spending more on our DPs than anyone, so I don't think they are being cheap. As for non-DPs, we have laid out some cash on a few of them - but it's impossible given the league to know how much. At any rate, the amount for those guys is limited by the salary rules.

Transfer fees get amortized over the life of the contract. So, if you are paying a big transfer fee, you are by definition bringing in a DP.

So MLS can set a record for the largest transfer fee in the world and all it would count for in terms of our roster salary is the $480K something of the DP level?

Another interesting question, when our DPs retire, could we just transfer them to Man City for some free money for ourselves? Then they immediately retire there.

Reactions: Kjbert
So MLS can set a record for the largest transfer fee in the world and all it would count for in terms of our roster salary is the $480K something of the DP level?

Another interesting question, when our DPs retire, could we just transfer them to Man City for some free money for ourselves? Then they immediately retire there.

I think we're more likely to see the opposite scenario. Man city has to worry about Financial FairPlay. We don't. It'd make sense if they sold us Nasri and CFG overpaid big time

In theory, yes, ManCity could do a bogus transfer. In practice, it will kill their Financial Fair Play numbers because it's money out with no benefit to the club.

Reactions: Kjbert
I think we're more likely to see the opposite scenario. Man city has to worry about Financial FairPlay. We don't. It'd make sense if they sold us Nasri and CFG overpaid big time

In theory, yes, ManCity could do a bogus transfer. In practice, it will kill their Financial Fair Play numbers because it's money out with no benefit to the club.

There's a cap of how much of a transfer fee can actually go to GAM/TAM. I think 600K? So how much difference will that (600K) have on their FFP?

There's a cap of how much of a transfer fee can actually go to GAM/TAM. I think 600K? So how much difference will that (600K) have on their FFP?

GAM/TAM have no bearing on designated players. As long as you have the 486K cap room or however much cap space a DP takes up, you can spend as much as you want. Last year pretty sure Portland spent 4 mill on the Argentine winger whose name escapes me for some reason, and they definitely did not have the TAM/GAM for it. GAM/TAM matter for players that are not designated players, like Matarrita. Because of his transfer fee, we had to use GAM/TAM so he wouldn't be a DP because we paid so much for him and he is under a certain age. This is my understand of the crazy MLS rules.

Edit: this is the best I can do for you in having a source haha. As long as you have 457.5K for cap space, however much your transfer costs is your club's financial responsibility.

"
The Designated Player Rule allows clubs to acquire up to three players whose total compensation and acquisition costs exceed the maximum budget charge, with the club bearing financial responsibility for the amount of compensation above each player’s budget charge. Designated Players may be new players signed to MLS via the Allocation Ranking List, Discovery Process or can be re-signed existing players on a team’s roster.

In 2016, a Designated Player that is 24-years-old or older during the league year will carry the Maximum Budget Charge ($457,500) unless the player joins his club after the opening of the Secondary Transfer Window, in which case his budget charge will be $228,750."

http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/roster-rules-and-regulations

Last edited:
Exactly.

Two things to know here.

1 - There is no separate cap or budget for transfer fees. You just take the transfer fee, divide it over the length of the contract and add it to the salary. That figure has to be within the salary rules.

2 - This means you can, over the life of a contract, reduce the cost of a transfer fee with GAM or TAM, or if the player is a DP, not reduce it. You treat it just like salary in this regard.

When factoring in Cap costs, you bundle together the entire cost of acquiring the player - both salary and transfer fee. Whatever that sum number is over the life of the contract - divide it by the contract years and that's the annual cost.

I've been giving this some thought..... here's the best way to skirt the edge of the rules while still staying completely kosher (or in this case Halal) - I got the idea while thinking about the Mendoza rumors so we'll use him as an example:

NYCFC obtains Mendoza from Indian League team. Medoza plays ok, but not how we had hoped. Indian Team loves Mendoza and wants him back. Indian team pays MLS/NYCFC $2M to take him from us midseason (hence the inflated price) which we jump on. Next month Etihad Airlines approaches Indian Team with a sponsorship and/or marketing package that happens to be $2M +/- more than what a typical marketing campaign would be worth. NYCFC now has $600K+ in GAM to use on new players.

-or-

Etihad Airlines sees the synergy of working with Le Havre because they think a mass number of French will want to travel on their airlines (wink, wink), so they enter into a sponsorship deal with the club. In two weeks, Bob Bradley decides that he needs a new midfielder that he's familiar with and Mix is transferred for $3M (or whatever the amount is to cover his initial move to MLS so that NYCFC can max-out the GAM). Mix is happy because it's likely Le Havre will be in the top division next year and the club has a ridiculous stadium.

Since it was a 3-party funneling money for actual sponsorship/marketing, and not CFG or MCFC, then MLS can't take issue with a parent club/organization shuffling money around. It just happens that it's the parent company's owner's cousin's company doing the shuffling.

What about Cesc Fabregas this winter?
That'd be pretty awesome. I think it'd be sweet to also get Schweinsteiger too, and have a midfield 3 of Iraola, Schweinsteiger, and Fabregas. Iraola and Basti will play D-Mid, and Fabregas can roam right in front of them in a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1. Market wise we'd just be looking for a LW/LM with some speed, outside backs, and a goalie.

If Lampard isn't here, I'm on board for Cesc, but not Schweini. I think Cesc won't score at the clip Lampard does, but I bet we have better possession figures and Harrison and McNamara would score more.

If Lampard IS here (but not on a DP contract), there's no room for another midfielder. It would be Mix 2.0. Go spend some money on a Winger or Striker. Rotate McNamara and Harrison through the wings and midfield where they can still get 25 starts a year.

Not quite on board with this but figured I'd share:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...chester-united-transfer-news-rumours-8745503?

Bastian Schweinsteiger admitted he is open to a move to New York City FC - but isn't ready to give up on his Manchester United career just yet.

The former Bayern Munich man, who last night made his final appearance for Germany, has two years left to run on his United contract but has been frozen out by new manager Jose Mourinho.

However, he's still hopeful of convincing Mourinho of his worth and making his way back into the team.

"New York is a great city, but I have a contract with United until 2018 and you know what the atmosphere is like at Old Trafford," Schweinsteiger told German media.

“It's my dream to run out there (for Manchester United) again. I hope I get the chance to help the team again.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...chester-united-transfer-news-rumours-8745503?

Bastian Schweinsteiger admitted he is open to a move to New York City FC - but isn't ready to give up on his Manchester United career just yet.

The former Bayern Munich man, who last night made his final appearance for Germany, has two years left to run on his United contract but has been frozen out by new manager Jose Mourinho.

However, he's still hopeful of convincing Mourinho of his worth and making his way back into the team.

"New York is a great city, but I have a contract with United until 2018 and you know what the atmosphere is like at Old Trafford," Schweinsteiger told German media.

“It's my dream to run out there (for Manchester United) again. I hope I get the chance to help the team again.
I'm 100% behind this.

Lol, "he is open to a move."

What he actually said was "New York is a great city, but..." when presumably asked directly about New York. You could write this exact article about anyone if you asked them directly about New York and they weren't a complete cock and didn't know how to talk to the media.

Reactions: NYCFCfan and Kjbert