NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

Lol, "he is open to a move."

What he actually said was "New York is a great city, but..." when presumably asked directly about New York. You could write this exact article about anyone if you asked them directly about New York and they weren't a complete cock and didn't know how to talk to the media.

Just for the record: Amsterdam is a great city - and I am open to a move.

Over the winter, we could lose both Lampard and Iraola.

We lack offensive punch once Lampard leaves. I don't see a spot on this team for both Pirlo and Schweini.

If Lampard wants to keep playing, I wonder if he'll take Mix's contract. I really hope he's not in the plans as a DP next year, he's not really a focal point of our offense nor even an everyday full season player at this point. But in a rotation with McNamara in the middle (and a new DP at LW), it might make sense to retain him.

I agree that I'd prefer no Schweinsteiger. Pure attacker please.

Bastian Schweinsteiger admitted he is open to a move to New York City FC - but isn't ready to give up on his Manchester United career just yet.
Lol, "he is open to a move."

What he actually said was "New York is a great city, but..." when presumably asked directly about New York.
None of the articles I saw gave any context as to what question precipitated the remark. And I couldn't find it on Germany's ZDF (maybe this is the video? I can't get it to play). At any rate, it seems like despite his "dream" to continue to play for Man U, it's underpinned with the pragmatic reality that the MLS transfer window is closed. He said that himself in the interview ("The transfer window there is already closed. That's why it's not possible now.")

I guess I'm agnostic as to him moving to MLS. But I also didn't see a whole lot of him in the Premier League last year and other than MLS that's the only other league I watch regularly

If Lampard wants to keep playing, I wonder if he'll take Mix's contract. I really hope he's not in the plans as a DP next year, he's not really a focal point of our offense nor even an everyday full season player at this point. But in a rotation with McNamara in the middle (and a new DP at LW), it might make sense to retain him.

My thought exactly ... Would lamps take Mix level salary (about 1M for 1 year) and we add a DP on left wing or at striker, moving villa to LW... I'd think yes

Reactions: FootyLovin

Pretty good focal point tonight ;)

My thought exactly ... Would lamps take Mix level salary (about 1M for 1 year) and we add a DP on left wing or at striker, moving villa to LW... I'd think yes
Lamps was pushing up as a CF at the end of the game with Villa behind him - that's when he made some of his best runs.

Reactions: Kjbert
BTW, Christian Fuchs, a prior topic of discussion, was at the match yesterday since Leicester is likely off for the international break. After I sent the attached tweet, I picked him up as a follower. I shall now commence doing my best to aid the recruitment effort!

Lamps was pushing up as a CF at the end of the game with Villa behind him - that's when he made some of his best runs.

Good call.

At the end of the game we played 3 players centrally high. Lampard and Villa were almost strike partners. Mendoza played underneath

Good call.

At the end of the game we played 3 players centrally high. Lampard and Villa were almost strike partners. Mendoza played underneath
It was almost like a 3-2-5 with Pirlo and Bravo flat in the middle, Lamps/Villa/Mendoza as CF w/ Villa dropping into a withdrawn striker/playmaker, and Harrison & Khiry pure wingers. Was always nervous defending, but the offensive punch from that is brutal to defend - pure speed from Left/Center/Right with Villa & Lamps able to rip shots, there just aren't enough defenders to mark all five effectively. If we continue to use that formation, we have to play very direct and not dink the ball around the back - get it up to the technical players that can hold onto it and make the opponent back peddle.

Last edited:
I would love to see us experiment with a line-up of:

Mena-Brillant-Chanot
Pirlo-Bravo
Harrison-Frank-Mendoza-Matarrita
Villa

I'm not big on a 3-5-2 or anything like that. But against a team that lacks a counter punch like DC, I'm all for it. I wouldn't do that against New England, but I think you could play that against Columbus, Orlando and DC.

Reactions: adam
I would love to see us experiment with a line-up of:

Mena-Brillant-Chanot
Pirlo-Bravo
Harrison-Frank-Mendoza-Matarrita
Villa

I'm not big on a 3-5-2 or anything like that. But against a team that lacks a counter punch like DC, I'm all for it. I wouldn't do that against New England, but I think you could play that against Columbus, Orlando and DC.
Swap out Mendoza for McNamara and I'd be willing to try it.

Swap out Mendoza for McNamara and I'd be willing to try it.
Or how about swap out Mendoza for Khiry on the wing and move Jack inside? I'd rather have three guys with top-end speed (Mata, Jack, Khiry) and can stretch the defense then TMac out there. And that's not to disparage TMac, but his lack of speed is a liability at times and having three with it on the field (with one in the center) keeps the defense from shading to a side for double-teams.

That's a funny statement about Frank considering he's now played consistently since May and leads the league (that's right, all of MLS) in goals per 90.
What does that make it now... 11 goals in his last 13 matches? Unreal.
I've championed Lampard from the beginning, and taken some stick for it on here, but I've always been hoping he would be able to get to his "usual" form and be the player he's always been. Gotta say, these past few months have felt pretty good. I'm pretty friggin' happy he's been able to light it up for a while. Way better than leaving under a cloud with folks still angry about things. Regardless of how anyone feels about his arrival, he can at least still play, I'm happy he's doing it for us, and it appears he's just as fired up about as we are.

That's a funny statement about Frank considering he's now played consistently since May and leads the league (that's right, all of MLS) in goals per 90.

What I meant by that is the ball doesn't run thru him. It runs thru Pirlo.

That said, that clearly doesn't mean he doesn't have an impact. In a different type of way, he's proven to be as good or better of a finisher than Villa. It's been extremely valuable. I've expected it to slow down, but he's not stopping. Fun to watch.

From a competitive stand point, signing a DP with a transfer fee is not an issue because their cap charge will be whatever the dp cap charge is that season regardless of whether there was a transfer fee or not.

Signing non-DPs with a transfer fee is an issue because their cap charge is their salary plus transfer fee. There are a couple things you can do to minimize the impact. We can use allocation dollars to buy down a cap charge. We can use TAM if the cap charge is over the max budget like we did with Brillant, and Mata. We can also spread the transfer fee across the entire length of the contract.