NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

Guess he's available on a free.

Lampard re-signs on a TAM deal. Pirlo retires, we sign Bastian and go after a GK (maybe call Casillas again?)
Bastian still has a lot to give if healthy. As for a GK, I see us signing a younger international from CA/SA at a healthy price who is not as well known but a true sweeper keeper.

Guess he's available on a free.

Lampard re-signs on a TAM deal. Pirlo retires, we sign Bastian and go after a GK (maybe call Casillas again?)

I'd rather hope Pirlo keeps playing. A known commodity who we've somewhat built around, who should be able to play the way he plays today for another few years.

I also would never want to see us use a DP spot on a keeper. I'm also hoping we don't end up with Casillas because it seems like a signing based on name and marketability, not maximum $$$:talent ratio.

Do we think Saunders gets demoted to 2nd keeper or gets waived? I would think this may be his last year in MLS.
CR (at one of the meet and greets) informally referenced that Saunders would be a good back-up next season. But 150k is a lot for an MLS back-up goalie. They usually are in the 50k to 80k range.

Reactions: Kjbert
Do we think Saunders gets demoted to 2nd keeper or gets waived? I would think this may be his last year in MLS.

With his "leadership" skills, he should remain on as GK coach. I would love to see him coaching up Casillas on how to flail his arms about and dive around the box while the ball goes in a different direction.

With his "leadership" skills, he should remain on as GK coach. I would love to see him coaching up Casillas on how to flail his arms about and dive around the box while the ball goes in a different direction.
How about coach of NYCFC's inaugural diving team, the Triple Lindies?

Reactions: Ulrich and adam
We need a whole new defence for next season. I think it would be better to try and sign a few USA players for defence as the foreign ones we have signed have been very poor in the main. Mattarita is great going forward but gets caught out at the back.

I expect both Pirlo & Lampard would be replaced for a couple of younger dp's.

We don't seem to have a problem scoing goals.

What I can't understand is signing the likes of Johansen & Martinez who haven't played any significant part. It would be better to have a smaller squad, rather than sign or keep players who won't play.

We need a whole new defence for next season. I think it would be better to try and sign a few USA players for defence as the foreign ones we have signed have been very poor in the main. Mattarita is great going forward but gets caught out at the back.

I expect both Pirlo & Lampard would be replaced for a couple of younger dp's.

We don't seem to have a problem scoing goals.

What I can't understand is signing the likes of Johansen & Martinez who haven't played any significant part. It would be better to have a smaller squad, rather than sign or keep players who won't play.
I disagree with this. Give me a season with a backline of Mata - Brilliant - Chanot - RJ and I'd be pretty happy, especially if we had better backups and/or players of comparable talent competing for those spots. That backline is strong, but we have only played it a couple of games this year due to injuries, suspensions, international duty.

And scouting is a numbers game. You'll always have some booms (Mata, Jack) and some busts (Martinez, Johansen). But beyond that you say they haven't played a significant part and that's incorrect. Some players make the field and some don't. With MLS salary cap you'll never have 25 players all getting real rotation in the 18. But those players who you don't see doing anything "significant" might be the very ones pushing others in practice. Shelton didn't do anything "significant" for three months that we saw, except that obviously behind the scenes he was putting in tons of effort and getting lots of guidance from the coaches to improve his game.

Yes, I want us to upgrade the team in the offseason. But I disagree with the analysis that we don't have pieces to make a strong back 4 right now.

I disagree with this. Give me a season with a backline of Mata - Brilliant - Chanot - RJ and I'd be pretty happy, especially if we had better backups and/or players of comparable talent competing for those spots. That backline is strong, but we have only played it a couple of games this year due to injuries, suspensions, international duty.

And scouting is a numbers game. You'll always have some booms (Mata, Jack) and some busts (Martinez, Johansen). But beyond that you say they haven't played a significant part and that's incorrect. Some players make the field and some don't. With MLS salary cap you'll never have 25 players all getting real rotation in the 18. But those players who you don't see doing anything "significant" might be the very ones pushing others in practice. Shelton didn't do anything "significant" for three months that we saw, except that obviously behind the scenes he was putting in tons of effort and getting lots of guidance from the coaches to improve his game.

Yes, I want us to upgrade the team in the offseason. But I disagree with the analysis that we don't have pieces to make a strong back 4 right now.
I think the back four has been pretty good this year, they are just under attack constantly. Our playing style is exciting with a lot of options in attack, but that leads to full speed breaks the other way.