NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

I disagree with this. Give me a season with a backline of Mata - Brilliant - Chanot - RJ and I'd be pretty happy, especially if we had better backups and/or players of comparable talent competing for those spots. That backline is strong, but we have only played it a couple of games this year due to injuries, suspensions, international duty.

And scouting is a numbers game. You'll always have some booms (Mata, Jack) and some busts (Martinez, Johansen). But beyond that you say they haven't played a significant part and that's incorrect. Some players make the field and some don't. With MLS salary cap you'll never have 25 players all getting real rotation in the 18. But those players who you don't see doing anything "significant" might be the very ones pushing others in practice. Shelton didn't do anything "significant" for three months that we saw, except that obviously behind the scenes he was putting in tons of effort and getting lots of guidance from the coaches to improve his game.

Yes, I want us to upgrade the team in the offseason. But I disagree with the analysis that we don't have pieces to make a strong back 4 right now.

Well it's all a matter of opinion, but for me Brillant isn't a leader and that showed aaginst Chicago. Allen is probably our best defender, and gives everything in a game. Chanot hasn't really had enough games to show what he can do. I like Mattarita going forward, however, he needs to improve his defensive abilities.

What's the point in wasting 2 foreign spaces on Johansen & Martinez? Easier to have two USA players sitting in the stands!

I think the back four has been pretty good this year, they are just under attack constantly. Our playing style is exciting with a lot of options in attack, but that leads to full speed breaks the other way.

Tom missed tackles and trying to play offisde when there is no pressure on the ball isn't the sign of a good back four. Yes we could have better protection, but in the case of Hernandez, Mena & Brillant it wouldn't make a difference. They miss too many tackles and are slow in mind to cover the opposition attackers.

What's the point in wasting 2 foreign spaces on Johansen & Martinez? Easier to have two USA players sitting in the stands!
You sign some players and get less than hoped for - Johansen, Martinez, Iraola at RB, Shelton 1.0, sadly I think Mix needs to be here

You sign others and get more than hoped for - Mata, Jack, TMac, Iraola at CDM, RJ

Expecting every signing to outperform expectations or break into the 18 regularly or at all is unrealistic under MLS salary cap. And I have no issue with international spots as we have seemed more than willing to buy/acquire more anytime we've wanted another international player.

I suspect in the offseason Johansen will be gone. Not sure about Martinez. Might depend on other defensive moves and the rehab of Brandt and Gomez.

Well it's all a matter of opinion, but for me Brillant isn't a leader and that showed aaginst Chicago. Allen is probably our best defender, and gives everything in a game. Chanot hasn't really had enough games to show what he can do. I like Mattarita going forward, however, he needs to improve his defensive abilities.

The Johansen's international spot is the largest mystery. PV sees the backup keeper's role as only used for cup matches. But USOC rules have stringent limits on international players allowed. If that's the role they invisioned for the backup keeper before the season, then why not find a domestic keeper for that role?

Reactions: NYCFCfan and Kjbert
You sign some players and get less than hoped for - Johansen, Martinez, Iraola at RB, Shelton 1.0, sadly I think Mix needs to be here

You sign others and get more than hoped for - Mata, Jack, TMac, Iraola at CDM, RJ

Expecting every signing to outperform expectations or break into the 18 regularly or at all is unrealistic under MLS salary cap. And I have no issue with international spots as we have seemed more than willing to buy/acquire more anytime we've wanted another international player.

I suspect in the offseason Johansen will be gone. Not sure about Martinez. Might depend on other defensive moves and the rehab of Brandt and Gomez.

No arguemts with you regarding how some players will disappoint and other will surprise. However, I do think we need to be more careful when it's comes to foreign spots. Of course we can aquire more, but that involves trading off that may makes us worse off in the future. For me all interntaionals should either be certain starters or on the bench at the very least. I would rather have 4 less in the squad than have players sitting in the stands with little chance of playing.

Chanot is excellent. Brillant does the job. I'm fine with that partnership. The question is depth and fullback.

At CB, is Mena and/or Hernandez with their $200k+ salaries? Mena is so inconsistent. Can we comfortably rely on him as our #3 CB? Does he even fit the system? Does Vieira think Hernandez is a flexible backup worth retaining? I really want to say no for all these questions, but cheaper CBs don't grow on trees either. If we replace these guys with Americans like White, that's a step backwards. If we grab a new starter and push Brillant to #3 CB, that's excellent.

At fullback, Vieira clearly doesn't like two attacking-minded starters at the same time. Which pushes Allen to the bench, who is a luxury to have there. But it leaves a hole at RB. Hernandez doesn't cut it, we need a new balanced or defensive-minded RB starter.

I'd move on from Hernandez, bring in a better, flexible CB/RB guy, and maybe one more CB depth piece:

LB: Matarrita, Allen, Martinez
CB: Chanot, Mena
CB: Brillant, CB/RB, CB Depth
RB: CB/RB, Allen

The Johansen's international spot is the largest mystery. PV sees the backup keeper's role as only used for cup matches. But USOC rules have stringent limits on international players allowed. If that's the role they invisioned for the backup keeper before the season, then why not find a domestic keeper for that role?
He's supposedly in the cue for a green card

Allen has been awful defensively this year. Better at RB than Hernandez but really bad. There's a reason he's not starting there.

Mata is an underrated defensive plauer

He's supposedly in the cue for a green card

If you're going to talk like a Brit, it's queue ;)

And if lurch can't play out of the back, then he's not right for this team anyway. He and slosh both need to go in January with an emphasis on players who can.

Reactions: FootyLovin
If you're going to talk like a Brit, it's queue ;)

And if lurch can't play out of the back, then he's not right for this team anyway. He and slosh both need to go in January with an emphasis on players who can.
Saturday morning Phonetic spelling....

Reactions: adam
Allen has been awful defensively this year. Better at RB than Hernandez but really bad. There's a reason he's not starting there.

Mata is an underrated defensive plauer

The trouble with Mata for me is he gets caught out of position too much. He is young and can improve, but he is defnitely better atatcking. This is why you need 2 centre backs you can rely on and a defensive midfielder. We do lack pace in these two positions.

The trouble with Mata for me is he gets caught out of position too much. He is young and can improve, but he is defnitely better atatcking. This is why you need 2 centre backs you can rely on and a defensive midfielder. We do lack pace in these two positions.

The problem with your argument is that he's not caught out of position. That is his position. He's not really a LB. He's a LM in this weird hybrid formation PV plays.

As the season has gone on, I've soured on Pirlo. I know he Weill return next season, but I would love to see a true box to box midfielder replace him and partner wth Iraola

No arguemts with you regarding how some players will disappoint and other will surprise. However, I do think we need to be more careful when it's comes to foreign spots. Of course we can aquire more, but that involves trading off that may makes us worse off in the future. For me all interntaionals should either be certain starters or on the bench at the very least. I would rather have 4 less in the squad than have players sitting in the stands with little chance of playing.

The quality American backups you want are not just sitting around for the taking. The primary way teams fill those back up positions with Americans is through their youth programs and development academies. Until ours is up and running we are going to have to fill the gap by trading for international slots. Yes, your logic is sound that we are wasting spots, but we don't really have a choice. Quality young players are already on teams and MLS vets that are backup quality at this point in their career make a ton of money. Do you want Wingert back at +$200k instead of taking a shot to see how Martinez develops? Because that's pretty much your option.

As the season has gone on, I've soured on Pirlo. I know he Weill return next season, but I would love to see a true box to box midfielder replace him and partner wth Iraola

As well as Iraola as done in defensive midfield, i would replace him. Also Pirlo & Lampard. For me they have done their job in launching NYCFC. Now we need midfield players who can not only pass but have the pace and strength to dominate games.

The quality American backups you want are not just sitting around for the taking. The primary way teams fill those back up positions with Americans is through their youth programs and development academies. Until ours is up and running we are going to have to fill the gap by trading for international slots. Yes, your logic is sound that we are wasting spots, but we don't really have a choice. Quality young players are already on teams and MLS vets that are backup quality at this point in their career make a ton of money. Do you want Wingert back at +$200k instead of taking a shot to see how Martinez develops? Because that's pretty much your option.

In that case leave the space free until you find that player who you would put in. The fact PV would rather shift Allen to left back than play Martinez tells me he is a player that is not required for our squad.

I don't understand the Brillant hate that's still going around. Chanot aside since we have see very little of him Brillant is our best defender is almost every category: in the air, in possession, positionally. He makes very few mistakes, he's constantly talking and pointing to where players around him need to be. As a bonus he plays some of the best long balls on the team as well. He had a few shaky moments during his first few games but has been extremely solid since. Is he a world class defender? No, but no MLS defenders are. Brillant is what quality MLS defenders look like.

In that case leave the space free until you find that player who you would put in. The fact PV would rather shift Allen to left back than play Martinez tells me he is a player that is not required for our squad.

We got the international slots we needed for next to nothing. We are trading small amounts of TAM/GAM and useless late round super draft picks for them. Your saying you'd rather hang onto those minimal assets than adding depth and rolling the dice to see how a young player super cheap player will develop. Depth we in fact needed this season. When Mata was in international duty and Allen was hurt/suspended who plays LB in your proposed scenario without Martinez?

I don't understand the Brillant hate that's still going around. Chanot aside since we have see very little of him Brillant is our best defender is almost every category: in the air, in possession, positionally. He makes very few mistakes, he's constantly talking and pointing to where players around him need to be. As a bonus he plays some of the best long balls on the team as well. He had a few shaky moments during his first few games but has been extremely solid since. Is he a world class defender? No, but no MLS defenders are. Brillant is what quality MLS defenders look like.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. When Accam beat Allen he just launched himself into the tackle conceding a free kick and a booking. He was running out trying to play offside when Alvarez crossed for their goal. For me he doesn't smell danger. It's easy to point to players to pick up others, however you have to do that yourself as well.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. When Accam beat Allen he just launched himself into the tackle conceding a free kick and a booking. He was running out trying to play offside when Alvarez crossed for their goal. For me he doesn't smell danger. It's easy to point to players to pick up others, however you have to do that yourself as well.

You mean when Accam blew by a totally flat footed Allen, the guy you called our best defender, and Brillant had to come over to cover for him and prevented a goal?