NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

Santi Cazorla is available on a free next summer.
He's interesting. I swear when I watch Arsenal play I can never remember what he does on the field and yet he is rated highly on play and gets the stats - it's like he does it using stealth.

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
Santi Cazorla is available on a free next summer.

As a life long Arsenal fan I'm admittedly bias but I think he would be a great fit. He can play the creative CAM role, he can play LW, heck with the arrival of Ozil he's shown he can play a deeper role and even hold his own on defense. As a bonus all accounts have him as an amazing locker room guy too.

Wayne Rooney? Too soon?

After Lamps retires he might be good to have for a big English TV draw.
Any love remaining from Red fans would be washed away if he chose to wear the blue of the arch enemy. I suspect he could never do that.

Any love remaining from Red fans would be washed away if he chose to wear the blue of the arch enemy. I suspect he could never do that.

If he lands in the MLS my money is on one of the LA teams. When he's ready to hang them up in the EPL I'm sure MLS will have competition for his services. Based on what they have paid "lesser" known players can you imagine how much money the Chinese league will offer a guy like Rooney.

If he lands in the MLS my money is on one of the LA teams. When he's ready to hang them up in the EPL I'm sure MLS will have competition for his services. Based on what they have paid "lesser" known players can you imagine how much money the Chinese league will offer a guy like Rooney.

Remember too that Rooney's brother played a couple of seasons for the Red Fools.

Reactions: Kjbert and gbservis
Just taking a peek at transfermarkt at some notable expiring contracts:

Antonio Valencia (31)
Keisuke Honda (30)
Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (33)
Fernando Torres (32)
Arjen Robben (32)
Franck Ribery (33)

Valencia looks amazing this year, would be the best fullback in MLS (or fuck it and play him on the wing). Honda could be a great wide attacking option or slot into Lampard's spot easily. Huntelaar could be that target striker we never had, and let Villa go LW. Torres would be insane (probably, maybe). Robben is injured too much. Ribery is ugly as fuck, but nasty as hell.

I still think Pirlo stays another year. I think Lampard is off to that great stationary bike in the sky.

Antonio Valencia (31)
Keisuke Honda (30)
Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (33)
Fernando Torres (32)
Arjen Robben (32)
Franck Ribery (33)

Valencia looks amazing this year, would be the best fullback in MLS (or fuck it and play him on the wing). Honda could be a great wide attacking option or slot into Lampard's spot easily. Huntelaar could be that target striker we never had, and let Villa go LW. Torres would be insane (probably, maybe). Robben is injured too much. Ribery is ugly as fuck, but nasty as hell.

I still think Pirlo stays another year. I think Lampard is off to that great stationary bike in the sky.
Matarrita has always reminded me of a young Valencia (on the opposite side). It would be insane to have both playing wingback at the same time, which, of course, would require some serious coverage elsewhere. Valencia can also play much further up as you said, and he would absolutely feast on MLS defenders. Though I do still think he has several years of top-tier ball in him before moving on.

Antonio Valencia (31)
Keisuke Honda (30)
Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (33)
Fernando Torres (32)
Arjen Robben (32)
Franck Ribery (33)

Huntelaar would be fantastic to cross balls into the box. I won't pretend to know a bunch about his current form however.

Antonio Valencia (31)
Keisuke Honda (30)
Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (33)
Fernando Torres (32)
Arjen Robben (32)
Franck Ribery (33)

There was talk of Honda wanting to come to MLS and that would make the most sense in terms of growing the NYCFC/CFG brand with the Asia market as an untapped target (yes, Yokohama, but still room to grow). But Ferrando Torres would be the biggest get in terms of footballing ability.

And we can finally get that "Odd Couple" reality series of NYCFC stars we never had. Spanish language networks would eat up Villa and Torres. Mix and Eirik didn't get favorable reviews, especially from the all important French head coach demographic.

Cazorla is a brilliant player that is underappreciated. He fits in so many levels - great locker room guy, versatile player, national teamer, slightly older.

I don't know what happens to Frank. I tend to believe he sticks around next year and I think the Club will give him the option to stay on. I don't know on what wages.

I would be ok with just about all of the guys on that list. I don't think that Huntelaar or Torres fit on this team. I would take either, but I don't think either fit if you play a 4-3-3. Beggers being choosers, I know. And I LOVE Huntelaar. Think he's perfectly suited for this league. Big target striker who does the dirty work. Another underappreciated player in Europe. He has been overshadowed during his career because of Van Persie.

Antonio Valencia (31)
Keisuke Honda (30)
Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (33)
Fernando Torres (32)
Arjen Robben (32)
Franck Ribery (33)

I would take literally any of these guys.

I think Lampard is done, but if he stays it'll be on a non-DP contract. Not sure what Pirlo will do.

If I was Reyna/Vieira I'd want them in this order:
Honda, Ribery, Robben, Valencia

I'm a BIG Torres to NYC advocate but I don't see how he fits in a 4-3-3 unless Villa moves over. If Vieira is willing to do a 4-4-2 with those two up top then I'd add him to my list; same for Huntelaar.

I think Lampard is done, but if he stays it'll be on a non-DP contract. Not sure what Pirlo will do.

I'm a BIG Torres to NYC advocate but I don't see how he fits in a 4-3-3 unless Villa moves over. If Vieira is willing to do a 4-4-2 with those two up top then I'd add him to my list; same for Huntelaar.

With no Lampard, you could go 4-1-3-2 with Villa/Torres. Pirlo roams underneath them. McNamara and Harrison wide. Iraola holding.

I think Villa can play left wing. He hovers around there a lot.

He'll put in a defensive shift to close out a game. But I think he's been miserable there for extended possessions. It also takes away from Matarrita.
I don't think it completely takes away from Matarrita, because Villa would be cutting in on his right foot, whereas Mata would be overlapping and serving with his left.

I don't think it completely takes away from Matarrita, because Villa would be cutting in on his right foot, whereas Mata would be overlapping and serving with his left.
I remember a few times Villa and TMac provided negative help to our def. They blew the offside trap and hat led to opponent goals. Not sure if it is net positive or negative for the team by distributing some of their energy on def