NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

If Pirlo isn't returning (nobody seems to know if he is under contract or not), why not both Fabregas and Barry? And retain Lampard on TAM, and sign Alvarado with Mix's money.

Harrison - Villa - Shelton
Fabregas - Barry - Lampard
Matarrita - Chanot - Brillant - Alvarado
Johansen

We'd need more depth than just McNamara and Allen, but that's a hell of a starting lineup.

I wonder if next year's TAM allotment is already earmarked for Chanot though. There's a 99% chance the lineup above is not affordable.
We can do a damn sight better than trading in Lampard for Barry.

The only English player over 30 I'd want is not even an option. I surely don't want slow-ass, old AF Barry.

We can do a damn sight better than trading in Lampard for Barry.

The only English player over 30 I'd want is not even an option. I surely don't want slow-ass, old AF Barry.

Name the player.

The trade, to me, is Barry for Pirlo. Barry is a MUCH better fit for NYCFC and MLS than Pirlo is.

I don't think adding Barry to Pirlo and Iraola is smart. Say what you want about Lampard, but he can mix it up IN the box. Barry is a box to box midfielder. He would be an instant fan favorite here.

If Lampard is gone, I don't expect a replacement until the Summer TBH. Which is too bad because it is difficult to incorporate a new star player and we are in win now mode.

Name the player.

The trade, to me, is Barry for Pirlo. Barry is a MUCH better fit for NYCFC and MLS than Pirlo is.

I don't think adding Barry to Pirlo and Iraola is smart. Say what you want about Lampard, but he can mix it up IN the box. Barry is a box to box midfielder. He would be an instant fan favorite here.

If Lampard is gone, I don't expect a replacement until the Summer TBH. Which is too bad because it is difficult to incorporate a new star player and we are in win now mode.
There's no shot at who I would take (and remember, I'm limiting this to English players), but if you insist on a name, I'd take James Milner.

In actuality, I don't think we should look at PL players much at all unless a perfect fit lands in our lap - like if Joe Allen wanted to come play, sign his ass up. For most all of the league's players, I just don't see how it makes sense from either side.

Reactions: Kjbert
There's no shot at who I would take (and remember, I'm limiting this to English players), but if you insist on a name, I'd take James Milner.

In actuality, I don't think we should look at PL players much at all unless a perfect fit lands in our lap - like if Joe Allen wanted to come play, sign his ass up. For most all of the league's players, I just don't see how it makes sense from either side.
Milner??? Really? Maybe I need to watch more Liverpool matches to see how he's improved, because every time I hear his name I have visions of Steve Cherundolo having his way with him in the WC - drawing him close and popping past him in two quick steps down the sideline. His reputation had been flying high heading into that game and in 90min a 5'6" right back took him to school.

I cannot imagine what Milner would think about the speed and physicality of MLS if Cherondolo outclassed him.

Milner??? Really? Maybe I need to watch more Liverpool matches to see how he's improved, because every time I hear his name I have visions of Steve Cherundolo having his way with him in the WC - drawing him close and popping past him in two quick steps down the sideline. His reputation had been flying high heading into that game and in 90min a 5'6" right back took him to school.

I cannot imagine what Milner would think about the speed and physicality of MLS if Cherondolo outclassed him.
He'd be our best central midfielder, which is where he'd play for us. He goes 100% all the time and is pretty creative. He mostly played wide attack at Man City, and he was most always good there, too.

Look, it's a throwaway comment to appease K Kjbert because I see no point in signing old ass Barry. Milner is younger and better and faster and stays healthy.

We will always be in win now mode. Just about every year we'll turn over a DP and have to wait until summer to bring in the replacement.
I would wager that CFG has learned the value of getting the players in for preseason, and when we need a DP they'll fork over more money to get their release/transfer in January/February. Waiting until the Summer is essentially wasting half a year since it's doubtful a midfielder/forward will pick up PV's style out of the gate. Chanot was different as a CB, but our 433 is much more flowing than what other teams typically use, especially when geared towards YS's small pitch.

He'd be our best central midfielder, which is where he'd play for us. He goes 100% all the time and is pretty creative. He mostly played wide attack at Man City, and he was most always good there, too.

Look, it's a throwaway comment to appease K Kjbert because I see no point in signing old ass Barry. Milner is younger and better and faster and stays healthy.

Umm sorry but Milner is NOT better than Barry right now. You must be a Red Shite.

I think Milner could do well here but would be massively overpaid. Sacha Klejstan is a better MLS midfielder than Milner would be.

Umm sorry but Milner is NOT better than Barry right now. You must be a Red Shite.

I think Milner could do well here but would be massively overpaid. Sacha Klejstan is a better MLS midfielder than Milner would be.
Wait, you're kidding with Koochstache, aren't you?

Also, how would you even compare the Barry/Milner since Milner is playing fullback right now? You can't, but if you did, they are rated almost exactly equal. Last year, Milner was a 7.21 as a mid on whoscored. Barry was a 6.85. Even more important numbers: Barry - 35. Milner - 30.

Barry is also way more defensive than Milner. Since 2009-10 (where whoscored goes back to), Milner has 34 goals and 56 assists. Barry has 10 and 22.

This is why I didn't want to post a name. I knew you'd take it personally.

Wait, you're kidding with Koochstache, aren't you?

Also, how would you even compare the Barry/Milner since Milner is playing fullback right now? You can't, but if you did, they are rated almost exactly equal. Last year, Milner was a 7.21 as a mid on whoscored. Barry was a 6.85. Even more important numbers: Barry - 35. Milner - 30.

Barry is also way more defensive than Milner. Since 2009-10 (where whoscored goes back to), Milner has 34 goals and 56 assists. Barry has 10 and 22.

This is why I didn't want to post a name. I knew you'd take it personally.

I'm not taking it personally. I just don't think a part-time player on Liverpool is better than a guy having his best season in a decade. I watch all the Everton games. I watch all the Man City, Liverpool and Swansea games too. Guess what, Barry is a better player than Milner right now.

We agree that Barry plays more defensively. My argument is that Barry would do better in MLS (specifically on NYCFC) than Milner.

Klejstan is the most underrated player in MLS right now. It pains me to say it. And he's making less money than Diskerud.

Anyone watch Win! yet? His entire expansion draft boiled down to not losing his friend Chris Wingert. Looked like Claudio wanted to punch him.

"Dell Loy's going to protect him! Dell Loy's going to protect him!" (But I need to take Ned first, what do I do????)
And then at the end of the draft when no one took Wingy and he snatched him up, he was over the moon. "We got EVERYTHING we wanted in the draft."

However, you do have to give him credit for taking Mullins, Tommy Mac, Taylor...several good finds in there. Look at Orlando's expansion draft, whoo boy.

I'm not taking it personally. I just don't think a part-time player on Liverpool is better than a guy having his best season in a decade. I watch all the Everton games. I watch all the Man City, Liverpool and Swansea games too. Guess what, Barry is a better player than Milner right now.

We agree that Barry plays more defensively. My argument is that Barry would do better in MLS (specifically on NYCFC) than Milner.

Klejstan is the most underrated player in MLS right now. It pains me to say it. And he's making less money than Diskerud.
How's he under-rated? He is an MVP finalist.

Even if I agreed with you regarding the level of Barry and Milner, my argument would be that Milner gives us a true 2-way midfielder that removes the need of having an AI caddy. Essentially, he's somewhere between Iniesta and Barry in his game, and think that would be more valuable. Also, HE'S NOT 35 #*%%&#&$( years old.

"Dell Loy's going to protect him! Dell Loy's going to protect him!" (But I need to take Ned first, what do I do????)
And then at the end of the draft when no one took Wingy and he snatched him up, he was over the moon. "We got EVERYTHING we wanted in the draft."

However, you do have to give him credit for taking Mullins, Tommy Mac, Taylor...several good finds in there. Look at Orlando's expansion draft, whoo boy.
I mean, let's not get too crazy. He also did this. Let me point out specifically that we passed on Tommy and Delgado, only to burn an expansion draft pick on one of them. Where the hell is Matt Dunn playing now, Chelsea Pier Indoor Co-Rec?
k # Drafting Team Player Position
FC Dallas Dan Kennedy Goalkeeper
2 New York City FC Matt Dunn Midfielder
3 Sporting Kansas City Pass
4 D.C. United Thomas McNamara Midfielder
5 New England Revolution Pass
6 Montreal Impact Donny Toia Defender
7 Orlando City SC Pass
8 Colorado Rapids Caleb Calvert Forward
9 San Jose Earthquakes Kris Tyrpak Forward
10 Real Salt Lake Pass
11 Houston Dynamo Pass
12 Portland Timbers Pass
13 Chicago Fire Pass
14 Toronto FC Marco Delgado Midfielder
15 Columbus Crew SC Pass
16 Los Angeles Galaxy Pass
17 Philadelphia Union Pass
18 New York Red Bulls Pass
19 Seattle Sounders FC Pass
20 Vancouver Whitecaps FC Pass

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
Cool it you two, we're getting Ribery.

giphy.gif

How's he under-rated? He is an MVP finalist.

Even if I agreed with you regarding the level of Barry and Milner, my argument would be that Milner gives us a true 2-way midfielder that removes the need of having an AI caddy. Essentially, he's somewhere between Iniesta and Barry in his game, and think that would be more valuable. Also, HE'S NOT 35 #*%%&#&$( years old.

No one talks about him. Until a month ago, he was a USMNT after-thought. I think part of it is the fact that he plays for a backwater club, but he may be the best American midfielder not named Christian Pulisic right now.

A Barry signing would eliminate the need for AI. I think he plays the AI role and a hybrid of the Pirlo role.

I would wager that CFG has learned the value of getting the players in for preseason, and when we need a DP they'll fork over more money to get their release/transfer in January/February. Waiting until the Summer is essentially wasting half a year since it's doubtful a midfielder/forward will pick up PV's style out of the gate. Chanot was different as a CB, but our 433 is much more flowing than what other teams typically use, especially when geared towards YS's small pitch.

The only players teams are willing to sell in mid-season are the ones who are unneeded and the ones who generate a transfer offer that is simply impossible to refuse. I don't think that CFG would be happy to pay significantly over the odds for players now, especially after getting their fingers burned multiple times in Manchester. That said, I'd be happy if they did, but remember that their ultimate aim is for all of their clubs to generate the revenue that is spent on transfers.

The only players teams are willing to sell in mid-season are the ones who are unneeded and the ones who generate a transfer offer that is simply impossible to refuse. I don't think that CFG would be happy to pay significantly over the odds for players now, especially after getting their fingers burned multiple times in Manchester. That said, I'd be happy if they did, but remember that their ultimate aim is for all of their clubs to generate the revenue that is spent on transfers.
The other variable/route are players that will be out of contract come summer and the only way to get a transfer is to let them go in January. That, to me, is the exact market we go after. Some clubs may normally hold the player if in contention (still needed in lineup) while content to lose a transfer fee, and with those we would sweeten the deal to pry them loose.

Where do you see Patrick Roberts doing in 2017-2018?

Is there a defender that is borderline at the U-23 level right now?

The other variable/route are players that will be out of contract come summer and the only way to get a transfer is to let them go in January. That, to me, is the exact market we go after. Some clubs may normally hold the player if in contention (still needed in lineup) while content to lose a transfer fee, and with those we would sweeten the deal to pry them loose.

Sure, although the players who are allowed to get to 6 months left on their contract are the ones their clubs have decided can't be retained, which restricts you to contract rebels and those looking to move on. You're going to get more Pirlo types than Giovinco types that route.

Where do you see Patrick Roberts doing in 2017-2018?

Is there a defender that is borderline at the U-23 level right now?

I'm not sure about Roberts. He seems a really good prospect but Pep seemed unconvinced in preseason if I remember the stories correctly.

As for a defender, assuming you mean another loanee like Facey and Angelino and not a permanent transfer, then maybe Cameron Humphreys or Ashley Smith-Brown? Humphreys really impressed on preseason but has not been given the call-ups to the first team like Adarabioyo has, so I think he's probably thought of as too young right now. Smith-Brown on the other hand seems a decent prospect though probably not one destined to play at CL level, and is currently on loan at NAC Breda, and so I can see him being sent to MLS as a test of his ability to thrive in a physical setting. ASB is on a year's loan, though, so he wouldn't be free until summer.