NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

I guess the reason we don't see us paying a big transfer fee for a DP is that the CFG wants all their clubs to be self-sustainable. We would have to compete with China in terms of transfer fees and wages to take top players in the prime e.g Hulk.

Although Villa, Lampard and Pirlo all had high wages their marketing value was also very high so this offset the cost as well as bringing in many more fans in our first season who then will keep supporting the team even when these players leave.

The CFG model seems to be an initial large investment to give the team a boost but then begin to move towards sustainability. If you look at MCFC they are now self sufficient and have been for around 2 years.

I guess the reason we don't see us paying a big transfer fee for a DP is that the CFG wants all their clubs to be self-sustainable. We would have to compete with China in terms of transfer fees and wages to take top players in the prime e.g Hulk.

Although Villa, Lampard and Pirlo all had high wages their marketing value was also very high so this offset the cost as well as bringing in many more fans in our first season who then will keep supporting the team even when these players leave.

The CFG model seems to be an initial large investment to give the team a boost but then begin to move towards sustainability. If you look at MCFC they are now self sufficient and have been for around 2 years.

They're also mid table in a crappy league

Reactions: Midas Mulligan

I love-hate the purist approach to club building and the football itself. On the one hand, I like the idea of winning because of technique, organization and intelligence. On the other, all assumptions about how to achieve these things need to be reinvestigated as competitors adapt, yet they sometimes seem to be stuck in their ways.

I love it too, but you can't have a self sustaining team without youth players coming through. We are 5 years away from a large number of our youth players making an impact. We will see a handful of players trickle in over the next 5 years (maybe 1 per year starting with Sands next season), but they can't have it both ways.

With the recent youth movement I can see us making a Summer move for Rony lopes. A player viera knows much about and a player who has been improving in France.

I absolutely love Villa... so I'd like youth but I want quality over anything else and we cannot be obsessed with age.

I don't think they're as obsessed with age as they are working the rules. Signing 3 young DPs frees up $600k in cap space that otherwise wouldn't be there for teams like Toronto, or us when we had 3. With a little GAM that could afford a great veteran to play along side the youngsters. And a TAM player and now you have 2 talented vets and 3 talented youths. That's almost half your starters with a ton of talent. It's game theory, I'm very curious to see how it plays out.

I don't think they're as obsessed with age as they are working the rules. Signing 3 young DPs frees up $600k in cap space that otherwise wouldn't be there for teams like Toronto, or us when we had 3. With a little GAM that could afford a great veteran to play along side the youngsters. And a TAM player and now you have 2 talented vets and 3 talented youths. That's almost half your starters with a ton of talent. It's game theory, I'm very curious to see how it plays out.
You're signing these DP's to multi year contracts. Atlanta frees up plenty of cap space year 1 and 2/3 will still be young DP in year 2. I am not against it at all I would love to have a young DP. You're overpaying for players to get them here and it could be a problem trying to unload them if they don't turn out... example Mr. Mix is on our books and we can't give away. I am not against this way of thinking I like it. I'd rather not have Pirlo on our books to be honest. Younger DP's have a lot of value and if they work out would be an enormous asset both to the club/league long term and as well in the transfer market. My original comment was just stating quality > youth.

Sounds kinda familiar:

http://nycfcforums.com/index.php?posts/148332/

Reactions: adam
You're signing these DP's to multi year contracts. Atlanta frees up plenty of cap space year 1 and 2/3 will still be young DP in year 2. I am not against it at all I would love to have a young DP. You're overpaying for players to get them here and it could be a problem trying to unload them if they don't turn out... example Mr. Mix is on our books and we can't give away. I am not against this way of thinking I like it. I'd rather not have Pirlo on our books to be honest. Younger DP's have a lot of value and if they work out would be an enormous asset both to the club/league long term and as well in the transfer market. My original comment was just stating quality > youth.

I hear you and agree with you. ATL is betting Y+Y+Y+cap space > Q+Q+Q. They are probably also thinking not all "Quality" DP signings work out either. So signing 3 doesn't mean you have 3 that play all the time and contribute. Especially with injuries that come with age, it's not necessarily the safe road either. So they are taking the gamble they feel will statistically yield the best results.

I hear you and agree with you. ATL is betting Y+Y+Y+cap space > Q+Q+Q. They are probably also thinking not all "Quality" DP signings work out either. So signing 3 doesn't mean you have 3 that play all the time and contribute. Especially with injuries that come with age, it's not necessarily the safe road either. So they are taking the gamble they feel will statistically yield the best results.

Eh. They are making the best choices as options come off the table. Remember, they wanted Guerrero and Oscar. Oscar is prime playing age, Guerrero not so much. I'm betting when those fell through, they decided the marginal additional quality available with their next Q Choices was not enough to offset the benefits in age and cap space to sign Y choices, as you describe.

Basically, I'm agreeing with your assessment. But I'm pointing out that I think it wasn't Plan A.

I absolutely love Villa... so I'd like youth but I want quality over anything else and we cannot be obsessed with age.

I tend to agree somewhat. I'd take Villa over any young no name DP in the league. I understand the theory of the young player is more beneficial than the 35 yo retirement guy. But I thought we were past that now that we are an established franchise and the league is growing. I don't want the old guy OR the young gamble as a DP. I want the 26-28 year old established player that is a borderline starter in Europe that just wants to play, so he comes here and dominates. I like some older players for veteran leadership, but not as a DPs. I like to develop younger players, but not as DPs. DP spots should be reserved for immediate impact players. I love the youth movement, it was/is 100% needed, but we to have a balance too. This DP needs to be a legit impact player, I don't even care the spot.

It's not happening. You're welcome.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Kjbert and dannd23