NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

has mcnamara ever been used as a striker - could work in a 4-4-2 or it can just be useless.

During his time with Chivas USA before hurting his knee TMac played as a ST/CF at times. So he has played there before but it doesn't seem like a great idea. He's short and terrible at holding the ball so target man is out and he's too slow to beat anyone over the top so I'm not really sure what he brings to that spot. Also I'm not sure replicating anything Chivas USA did is ever a great idea.

During his time with Chivas USA before hurting his knee TMac played as a ST/CF at times. So he has played there before but it doesn't seem like a great idea. He's short and terrible at holding the ball so target man is out and he's too slow to beat anyone over the top so I'm not really sure what he brings to that spot. Also I'm not sure replicating anything Chivas USA did is ever a great idea.

yea, i wasn't too fond of the idea after i posted it, just spitballing an idea for conversation tbh.

Reactions: gbservis
I feel like really the only spot that TMac could fit is as a CAM in a 4-4-2 diamond. He's a poacher and can find space, but cannot work in small pockets. Therefore give him two strikers that pull defenders away and then he floats into the space.

That said, I definitely don't want us to be doing that. Just my two cents on where TMac fits into a formation in general. (also caveat, I've really only been heavily following soccer closely for the past 3 years, so where I feel like I'm grasping individual and team performances quite well, my tactical acumen still has miles to grow - so feel free to berate me if you disagree with me)

I feel like really the only spot that TMac could fit is as a CAM in a 4-4-2 diamond. He's a poacher and can find space, but cannot work in small pockets. Therefore give him two strikers that pull defenders away and then he floats into the space.

That said, I definitely don't want us to be doing that. Just my two cents on where TMac fits into a formation in general. (also caveat, I've really only been heavily following soccer closely for the past 3 years, so where I feel like I'm grasping individual and team performances quite well, my tactical acumen still has miles to grow - so feel free to berate me if you disagree with me)
So Tommy to Orlando?

Reactions: gbservis and Ulrich
Reading a bunch about the Accam transfer. If they get rid of the 650k allocation cap for transfers, we should be targeting young players that we can sell for profit. Maybe even try to convince CFG to let us take on Herrera as a Young DP.

Reading a bunch about the Accam transfer. If they get rid of the 650k allocation cap for transfers, we should be targeting young players that we can sell for profit. Maybe even try to convince CFG to let us take on Herrera as a Young DP.
Granada being with CFG hurts us. That is the likely next stop for him.

Granada being with CFG hurts us. That is the likely next stop for him.
I'm optimistic that CFG will let us keep him at least for 1-2 more seasons. I couldn't think of a better coach for his development then Vieira. PV as a player is the exact prototype Herrera should be modeling his game on. Man City also already has 5 players including 2 central midfielders already on loan to Giorna.

I'm optimistic that CFG will let us keep him at least for 1-2 more seasons. I couldn't think of a better coach for his development then Vieira. PV as a player is the exact prototype Herrera should be modeling his game on. Man City also already has 5 players including 2 central midfielders already on loan to Giorna.
On top of that, he's a bit too naïve tactically at times to handle La Liga. He doesn't have nearly enough high level minutes to expect that he'd be an impact player there. Better to stay here and start 30 games than play maybe 300 minutes max.

What about Aron Johannsson??

Article HERE.

US international who hasn't gotten much playing time in the Bundesliga due to injuries. Would be an awesome option to have as a backup striker or potentially winger to aid the attack. I think would add more as a sub than Okoli has (haven't seen the RBNJ game, apparently Okoli played well??) so far this season. Doesn't take up an international spot either.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
What about Aron Johannsson??

Article HERE.

US international who hasn't gotten much playing time in the Bundesliga due to injuries. Would be an awesome option to have as a backup striker or potentially winger to aid the attack. I think would add more as a sub than Okoli has (haven't seen the RBNJ game, apparently Okoli played well??) so far this season. Doesn't take up an international spot either.
Johansson is still young, and cost Werder Bremen over 5 million dollars. In 2013-2015 he was scoring in bunches. He won't come over unless a DP or a lot of TAM/GAM. There are examples of other strikers who had seemed finished, i.e. Radamel Falcao, and suddenly recover their old form. I don't think he would make sense as a sub, and he's leaving Bremen in search of playing time, so no.