NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

This reeks of the football quarterback taking the snap and looking at his intending receiver the entire time allowing the defense to read his eyes.

NYCFC was hellbent on this guy before, and reports of his play this season was not impressive considering he could disappear constantly, so signing him now is a very questionable move.

Reactions: adam
I suppose I don't understand why we need to lay down TAM money to get a new guy at a spot where we already have so much quality and depth that we traded out a really good young player because he wasn't getting enough time.
TBF I think he's the only left-footed guy we have who prefers to play on the left wing.

All other left wing options (Mitri, Héber) are right-footed. All our left-footed wingers (Shradi, Medina) prefer to cut in from the right.

Dome said in the off-season that he prefers to play with traditional wingers, so this is pretty exciting in the sense that it gives us an entirely different look. Too bad we don't have any true right wingers (I know, Lewis).

Last edited:
Reactions: SoupInNYC and JayH
I would take a DP GMS over Jonathan Lewis, much less a TAM GMS.

Lewis showed his cards. Didn’t want to be here. Give me the guy that wants to beer.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
He looks a bit like a Johnny Russell type but maybe without as much grit

Funny, I was just thinking of this because they played together for a couple of years at least, and this is pretty much bang on.

GMS has more *skill* than Johnny Russell, but JR has the fight and pace. GMS is a couple of years older, so was in the team when JR broke in to it. Great team player, good link up, lots of skill to get the crowd on their feet, but Johnny came in and was the guy who would chase down the loose ball when it broke, challenge the defender in a shoulder challenge or a foot race.

Johnny went and played with Derby after he left us (for a bigger fee than GMS) and has been semi-regular with Scotland, whereas GMS has stayed in the country and, despite winning a couple of caps, never really hit the heights that people thought he was capable of.

Part of that could also be the makeup of the Scottish game, whereby if you're a jinky wee trickster like Gaz then in almost every game someone's gonna go straight through you with a "don't try that again" vibe.

ETA: Also, GMS is more of an out ant out winger, whereas Johnny was more of a striker who was pretty adept on the flanks.

Last edited:
I solved it. Dome wants to play a 4-3-5 formation:

F | Mackay-Steven-Heber-Tajouri-Shradi
M | Mitria-Ring-Maxi
D | Matarrita-Callens-Chanot-Tinnerholm

Unstoppable attack.

Ah, the Vieira "I don't care if we concede 3, if we will score 4" thinking.

I solved it. Dome wants to play a 4-3-5 formation:

F | Mackay-Steven-Heber-Tajouri-Shradi
M | Mitria-Ring-Maxi
D | Matarrita-Callens-Chanot-Tinnerholm

Unstoppable attack.
In all seriousness, in a 3-4-3, who do you put at LWB and LW? Do GMS and Mitri both go into those slots? Does Matarrita still find his way in?

https://www.expressen.se/kvallspost...nsiva-forhandlingar-om-mffs-mittfaltsstjarna/

Anders Christensen would be a great signing, based on what I know about him. Sounds like another Ring, and our midfield was best when Ring had Herrera next to him.

Ofori's still just on loan too, remember.

Following up on this, I skimmed through Christensen's instagram follows. He follows three teams:

Malmo
Bologna
NYCFC

And he follows Tinnerholm and Berget.

If that offer is from us, we are going to have some sick depth.

In all seriousness, in a 3-4-3, who do you put at LWB and LW? Do GMS and Mitri both go into those slots? Does Matarrita still find his way in?

I think in the 3-4-3 you have wingers cutting inside, so I'd keep Mitrita-Heber-ITS across the front.

In a 4-3-3, you could slide Mitrita to the middle with Maxi and Ring, and play GMS and ITS as wingers.

If GMS is in the plans to play extensively, I think it pushes out Ofori unless we shift to a more holding mentality with a lead. Otherwise, GMS might just be a first bench option and depth for different looks at times.

I think in the 3-4-3 you have wingers cutting inside, so I'd keep Mitrita-Heber-ITS across the front.

In a 4-3-3, you could slide Mitrita to the middle with Maxi and Ring, and play GMS and ITS as wingers.

If GMS is in the plans to play extensively, I think it pushes out Ofori unless we shift to a more holding mentality with a lead. Otherwise, GMS might just be a first bench option and depth for different looks at times.
havent read the last match day thread yet so im not sure the general consensus. and i know hes scoring but im not sold on mitrita yet. wouldnt mind having someone rival him for his position.

havent read the last match day thread yet so im not sure the general consensus. and i know hes scoring but im not sold on mitrita yet. wouldnt mind having someone rival him for his position.

Why do you say that?

The MLS summer window opens July 9, which means even if GMS passes the physical and signs on Monday he cannot play against Philly, Seattle or Portland. He can first appear in the USOC game on July 10 and first possible league game would be the derby on July 14.
Can he train with the team before then?

Reactions: adam
The MLS summer window opens July 9, which means even if GMS passes the physical and signs on Monday he cannot play against Philly, Seattle or Portland. He can first appear in the USOC game on July 10 and first possible league game would be the derby on July 14.
Can he train with the team before then?
i dont see why he wouldnt be allowed to train.

Reactions: Kjbert
Still happy with a GMS signing - will be a little more depth out wide and someone who is either dynamite going down the left (and linking with a full back) or solid enough coming in from the right.

It is true that he disappears for spells when the going is tough - a little bit powderpuff when there's a struggle in the match, but I think the change of scenery and a chance to adapt to a new country/league would show us a lot of the best of GMS.

Now, if we can just sign up Stuart Armstrong, Ryan Gauld, Andy Robertson, Johnny Russell, and try to recreate that Dundee United team that played such amazing football a few years ago...

Just perfect. Love when a guy truly in the know describes our newest signing as a “powder puff”.