NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

The Chinese Super League is spending some coin lately...It just may be our biggest competitor when it comes to signing players leaving the top tier leagues.

why.

we know a big lure of MLS for international players is the comfort/appeal of living in the US. particularly for south american players.

just b/c a deep pocketed team in china is willing to grossly overpay transfer fees for players doesn't make them future competitors.

Reactions: Kjbert
The Chinese Super League is spending some coin lately...It just may be our biggest competitor when it comes to signing players leaving the top tier leagues.
The Chinese economy is in the toilet and if it wasn't for their government artificially inflating the strength of their currency, their markets (stock, housing, manufacturing) would have already imploded. Just the other day a major company was indicted for being a ponzi scheme, and for China, that's out-of-character for their legal system to enforce. Foreign players should be vary wary of going to their soccer league for a giant payday - in a year, their currency, and the associated player contracts, will be devalued.

why.

we know a big lure of MLS for international players is the comfort/appeal of living in the US. particularly for south american players.

just b/c a deep pocketed team in china is willing to grossly overpay transfer fees for players doesn't make them future competitors.

If there was no salary cap in our league, my guess would be that teams in the MLS would take a similar approach as to what the teams in the Chinese Super League have done this transfer window.
So it's interesting to see how it's playing out and whether their approach will have a positive or negative impact to their league down the road.

Are they competitors? Yes, I believe so. Their 3 biggest signings this offseason have been Gervinho, Ramires, and Gaurin, all >$10mil. China's president has publicly stated that he is an avid soccer fan and wants his country's league to be a premier league in the world, so the ambition is there. I believe they will continue to make these high-dollar purchases in the future, which makes them a competitor to MLS. However, I don't think it's a bad thing for MLS. As of right now, I believe the level of competition is higher in MLS so I believe we're getting the players that are more interested in their development as well as the level of competition.

Most of us here live in the states, so it's hard to not be biased when it comes to standard of living compared to the states and China. However, I have travelled all around China and some of these cities that these clubs are based are definitely nicer than many current MLS clubs. I can see the lure of being paid millions and living in cities such as Shanghai or Guangzhou

If there was no salary cap in our league, my guess would be that teams in the MLS would take a similar approach as to what the teams in the Chinese Super League have done this transfer window.
So it's interesting to see how it's playing out and whether their approach will have a positive or negative impact to their league down the road.

Are they competitors? Yes, I believe so. Their 3 biggest signings this offseason have been Gervinho, Ramires, and Gaurin, all >$10mil. China's president has publicly stated that he is an avid soccer fan and wants his country's league to be a premier league in the world, so the ambition is there. I believe they will continue to make these high-dollar purchases in the future, which makes them a competitor to MLS. However, I don't think it's a bad thing for MLS. As of right now, I believe the level of competition is higher in MLS so I believe we're getting the players that are more interested in their development as well as the level of competition.

Most of us here live in the states, so it's hard to not be biased when it comes to standard of living compared to the states and China. However, I have travelled all around China and some of these cities that these clubs are based are definitely nicer than many current MLS clubs. I can see the lure of being paid millions and living in cities such as Shanghai or Guangzhou

If there's anything that will get America behind our soccer clubs, it will be competition from another world super power. Bring it, China.

Also, I agree with your last paragraph. I'd rather live in Shenzhen than Orlando.

The Chinese economy is in the toilet and if it wasn't for their government artificially inflating the strength of their currency, their markets (stock, housing, manufacturing) would have already imploded. Just the other day a major company was indicted for being a ponzi scheme, and for China, that's out-of-character for their legal system to enforce. Foreign players should be vary wary of going to their soccer league for a giant payday - in a year, their currency, and the associated player contracts, will be devalued.
I scoff in the general direction of anyone who believes the US economy weak relative to China. They are sitting on shitload of continually devaluing commodities. Pigs get fat. Hogs get slaughtered. Fuckers have been hogs for forever, busting a gut on whatever was put in front of them.

Enjoy relying on your oil and coal futures (effectively) to prop up your ability to ensure your poors can get a bowl of rice once a week.

Let them have Ramires for $42 million. That's absurd.

There is nothing wrong with the MLS strategy. We have American stars to build around, the occasional free transfer and the guys who have lost a step. It all leads to more butts in the seats, more eyeballs on tv and more cash in the MLS coffers. This is how you grow the game.

Reactions: JayH and Gene

Thank you for saving me time from having to write all that!

The problem I have with Iker is that, if we can afford to pay him the salary we assume he commands, we're better set on using that on a younger talent in a place of need. Iker is one of the more/most famous players in the world, but shelling out 500k+ for him, when you have a good enough keeper in Saunders making what would be 1/10 of his salary through an entire season seems completely unnecessary. I'd rather have Demi for a half season of 500k than Iker, even though that'd be a waste, too. Another Matarrita-like player would be most welcome.

The problem I have with Iker is that, if we can afford to pay him the salary we assume he commands, we're better set on using that on a younger talent in a place of need. Iker is one of the more/most famous players in the world, but shelling out 500k+ for him, when you have a good enough keeper in Saunders making what would be 1/10 of his salary through an entire season seems completely unnecessary. I'd rather have Demi for a half season of 500k than Iker, even though that'd be a waste, too. Another Matarrita-like player would be most welcome.

I believe we have one coming with Bravo. I also believe that one of the trialists, in addition to Rawls, currently in camp may get a contract as well (my guess is Moussa).

We can talk until our faces are blue as to whether Iker should demand that kind of money from us. I would personally give Eirik a shot before signing Iker, but there's also pressure on PV and the FO to not only develop for the future, but to win THIS season as well. The arrival of Iker in the summer can be the difference between making or missing the playoffs. If it was, the move would make more sense.

Reactions: D_RoyJenkins

We can say the exact same sort of thing about hockey, the KHL, Putin, and Russia. Granted, MLS doesn't compare to the NHL, but the drawbacks of playing in China or likely comparable to Russia. North American player experiences in the KHL are wild.

It would be so funny if Torres came here. "el Guaje" and "el niño" being some of the older members of the squad.
chris-farley-el-nino.jpg

I think everyone is under estimating the impact China can have on the total market. Maybe not the best comparison, but the Premier League wasn't always dominant. How did they become so big? Simple. The spent money! Especially when Serie A was coming off their high from being the top league. PL clubs were tossing mad money around luring players out of there. That spending continues today. There are many experts that believe the Premier League bubble will burst soon with all the spending, but they keep on going. Did the CSL clubs overspend this transfer window...yes...but everyone around the world is taking notice. They brought in a few talented players that are under 30 while the MLS got over 30 players. I don't care about all the young signings, cause who knows with them. Those type of players are sprinkled throughout the world. It's funny to hear people downplay it cause they overpaid for these players, yet the PL consistently does the same. Will the CSL continue to spend and be a player...who knows..but to just dismiss them is simply being uninformed. The attendance averaged 22k and with their season starting next month, they expect more than that this year. They have a similar foreign player DP structure as we do. If you look around the world, MLS and CSL are the most comparable leagues, except for the 4 levels of a Prom/Rel format (which I am a big fan of). The country has made their goal to be very competitive in world cup play. They said they need two things to accomplish that; youth development and better talent surrounding their players. Even their second tier league is spending. A lot of this has to do with their president Xi Jinping's love for the sport. I am in no way shape or form saying they will be the most dominate league in the world, they can be great or a total bust down the road..and I am not talking about whether the MLS 'slow and steady' approach is better or not. All I am saying is that based on recent spending, they are a major competitor in terms of acquiring talent now.

Reactions: SpicyRoll
the chinese league is paying top dollar for mediocre prices.... i dont understand why and how on earth they came to pay such absurd prices for some of these players...

Reactions: Kjbert
the chinese league is paying top dollar for mediocre prices.... i dont understand why and how on earth they came to pay such absurd prices for some of these players...

I hear they are making a run for Lavezzi now and one of the clubs made a big offer for Hulk, which was ultimately turned down.

I think everyone is under estimating the impact China can have on the total market. Maybe not the best comparison, but the Premier League wasn't always dominant. How did they become so big? Simple. The spent money! Especially when Serie A was coming off their high from being the top league. PL clubs were tossing mad money around luring players out of there. That spending continues today. There are many experts that believe the Premier League bubble will burst soon with all the spending, but they keep on going. Did the CSL clubs overspend this transfer window...yes...but everyone around the world is taking notice. They brought in a few talented players that are under 30 while the MLS got over 30 players. I don't care about all the young signings, cause who knows with them. Those type of players are sprinkled throughout the world. It's funny to hear people downplay it cause they overpaid for these players, yet the PL consistently does the same. Will the CSL continue to spend and be a player...who knows..but to just dismiss them is simply being uninformed. The attendance averaged 22k and with their season starting next month, they expect more than that this year. They have a similar foreign player DP structure as we do. If you look around the world, MLS and CSL are the most comparable leagues, except for the 4 levels of a Prom/Rel format (which I am a big fan of). The country has made their goal to be very competitive in world cup play. They said they need two things to accomplish that; youth development and better talent surrounding their players. Even their second tier league is spending. A lot of this has to do with their president Xi Jinping's love for the sport. I am in no way shape or form saying they will be the most dominate league in the world, they can be great or a total bust down the road..and I am not talking about whether the MLS 'slow and steady' approach is better or not. All I am saying is that based on recent spending, they are a major competitor in terms of acquiring talent now.

I wouldn't dismiss them but quality of life is a huge factor. Continuous smog hiding the sun for days, a challenging language to learn, extremely different culture and numerous other challenges are all going push a lot of players away regardless of the money. As someone who spent considerable time in China as part of my previous job the money would have to be substantially more to even consider an opportunity there vs the US.

It's a different sport but if anyone is interested in an outsiders perspective of the interworking of a Chinese professional league: Brave Dragons: A Chinese Basketball Team, an American Coach, and Two Cultures Clashing by Jim Yardly is an interesting read. One telling fact will be how many of these newly signed stars make it through their entire contracts without leaving. Most American basketball players that go over bail early often because they play games with their pay checks.