NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

Eh...I know that theoretically if does. But not if your deep cover would otherwise be Pirlo and two CBs, with 1 or 2 6/8 types, unsure of when they can go or when they can't. I think effectively speaking, 3 CBs frees that attacking talent.

I agree with this in principle, but I am not sure it fits our roster with its lack of good quality CBs.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
I agree with this in principle, but I am not sure it fits our roster with its lack of good quality CBs.
I agree. Our strength is our midfield. Makes no sense to drop a midfielder for another CB, a position that we have no idea what we have. Also, Pirlo, no matter what the coach says, seems to like to get the ball and have seven guys in front of him to choose from. Pirlo, for better or worse, needs to be accommodated.

I think his skills translate very well. Guys need to learn how to make a run. The ball will be there.
I pointed this out a while back probably in another thread. Watch Pirlo's highlight videos on youtube. Everytime he gets the ball, several guys start making runs upfield.

I think a lot of his transition to MLS is the rest of the guys on the team learning how to play with him.

Bravo plays both CDM & CB, so I think he's a great candidate.
I agree. Our strength is our midfield. Makes no sense to drop a midfielder for another CB, a position that we have no idea what we have. Also, Pirlo, no matter what the coach says, seems to like to get the ball and have seven guys in front of him to choose from. Pirlo, for better or worse, needs to be accommodated.
Pirlo played most of the time with a 3 man back at Juve.

Reactions: Paul and NYCFCfan
Not my point. Our team's strength is the midfield. Why play one fewer MF to add a CB? Also, I know Juve, and NYCFC, you are no Juve.
Well, if you look at what I proposed, which is an attacking shape similar to Crew, then it doesn't really matter what we call that position. I just believe that playing someone as a sweeper behind Pirlo is key to removing confusion and getting shredded on counters. Calling that person a CB makes it readily apparent what their duties are, so there shouldn't be mass midfield confusion leading to mistakes.

ETA: If the strength is midfield, then I presume you are counting on Bravo to be a contributor, correct? I see it as getting more of those guys on the field that we want to play. I don't think it will be an all the time thing, but I bet we see it a few times.

I also think Iraola and guess that Matarrita are two of the more skilled players we have. I know Iraola looks great upfield, good with the ball and sends in a good cross. I think we need them attacking.

If you remember Lampard's goal against the Whitecaps, 69 made a run behind his defender, Pirlo laid the ball at his feet and he dangerously crossed it in the box. It's a shame that a 18 year old kid was the only one apart from Villa and Frank to know that you have to make runs off the ball.

If you remember Lampard's goal against the Whitecaps, 69 made a run behind his defender, Pirlo laid the ball at his feet and he dangerously crossed it in the box. It's a shame that a 18 year old kid was the only one apart from Villa and Frank to know that you have to make runs off the ball.
My wife, a soccer convert with no embedded soccer knowledge, pretty much said the same thing. She recognized that Angelino, even as an 18yo, was heads and shoulders above nearly the entire team save Pirlo (he jogs like an old man, does he run), Villa (he's walked, he's pouted, when's he going to score), Lampard (you said he's known for burying those), Mix and Poku. She also thinks TMac runs like a penguin. Her other grand observation was the every-game comment, "why'd our goalie kick it out of bounds again?"

Ian Joy should be worried and have his CV up to date - if the network ever heard the insight & color commentary my wife can add to a match, they'd hire her in a heartbeat.

Oh boy, let the hijinks begin! :rolleyes:

From from now until the end of July, I wants $5 bills from everyone whenever some half ass blogger tweets their inside contacts guarantee YaYa is heading for Yankee Stadium.

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/yaya-toure-will-leave-manchester-city-says-agent-020216

Toure will leave Manchester City, says agent
Sky SportsFeb 2, 2016 at 4:55a ET

Yaya Toure's agent Dimitri Seluk predicts the midfielder will leave Manchester City in the summer when Pep Guardiola arrives.

Reactions: gbservis
Um. Could you please let Juventus know this. As a Roma fan it would be nice if their 3 man backline stopped working against, well, any formation.

Yeah, well the way Juve plays...that 3 man back line is more like a 5 man backline. I've seen them playing variations of 5-2-1-2 and 5-3-2 lately and it's been impenetrable. It has really been working well. When they need to score, they push the L/R backs up like mids and when holding a lead, they sit back. It really is the most adaptable formation to change tactics on the fly.

As far as Roma goes...I'm a big El Shaarawy fan. He can really be something special. He's off to a great start with Roma. I hope he stays healthy...he's a big part of Italy's future.

Yes, I hijacked the "players wanted thread" with Serie A talk. Go ahead and deduct $500 credits from my NYCFC wallet :eek: